livendive

Sex offender registration...always appropriate?

The registration laws may go overboard, but the case the OP used isn't the best example of that. He wasn't talking about a 13 year old Peeping Tom, or even two kids playing "doctor". He was talking about an adolescent who was apparently convicted of abusing or molesting a significantly younger child.

I guess you have to be one of those on the recieving end of one of these guys who is oh so loving to his love interests to understand how one of these PREDATORS affects people for the rest of their lives... worse part is many of them have FAR more than just one victim...

Added
REMOVE them... and no Narci dont kill them.. REMOVE them to where they can have all the fun they want.. with each other.>:(

If a 13 year old had killed someone, her record would be expunged when she reached adulthood. Our society generally adopts the position that 13 year olds are not fully responsible for their actions and do not have the judgment of adults. Not even Texas or Alabama executes juveniles any more.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I think that most of them think that is just no big deal....

I don't think it's "no big deal...." but when the perpetrator is a child him-/herself, it should be handled differently than if the perpetrator is an adult. I'm personally much more concerned about an adult who has sexually abused children than a barely-pubescent child who does the same.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I think it has to do with that old saying.. boys will be boys. Sorry but in this area... I will not allow them them lattitude...Its learned behavior and if not stopped ... are you willing to allow them to grow up to go after others??

The registration laws may go overboard, but the case the OP used isn't the best example of that. He wasn't talking about a 13 year old Peeping Tom, or even two kids playing "doctor". He was talking about an adolescent who was apparently convicted of abusing or molesting a significantly younger child.

Molestation is an term used to describe any form of sexual contact. They could very well have just been 'playing doctor' for what we can tell from the information presented.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

I think it has to do with that old saying.. boys will be boys.

I think it often has to do with when boys and girls get together they'll do what they do. I've seen it happen too many times that kids fool around, parents find out, and the boy gets in trouble. I there needs to be a little wiggle room where the rest of their lives are concerned.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I think it often has to do with when boys and girls get together they'll do what they do. I've seen it happen too many times that kids fool around, parents find out, and the boy gets in trouble.

A 13 year old molesting a 9 year old.. COME ON... the boy BETTER get in trouble.>:(

If a 13 year old had killed someone, her record would be expunged when she reached adulthood.

Only if she was tried as a juvenile and "adjudicated delinquent" (found guilty). But most (possibly all) states have provisions in which a juvenile can be "certified as an adult", and then tried, convicted and sentenced as an adult for very serious crimes (a judge has to hold a pretrial hearing and approve the "certification" first). If that happens, the 13 year old could conceivably get a life sentence. It happens far more often than laypeople realize. (Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.)

I think it often has to do with when boys and girls get together they'll do what they do. I've seen it happen too many times that kids fool around, parents find out, and the boy gets in trouble.

A 13 year old molesting a 9 year old.. COME ON... the boy BETTER get in trouble.>:(

Get in trouble is one thing....being labeled a sex offender for the rest of his life is another. And just *perhaps* she should get in trouble too.
--

Get in trouble is one thing....being labeled a sex offender for the rest of his life is another. And just *perhaps* she should get in trouble too.

Ok I guess you are right.. its the little sluts fault.:S

Sometimes it does take two to tango, and when two kids mess around and one is 4 years older than the other, the older child is the one who will be charged even if they BOTH were involved. In situations where that's the case, it would completely suck for the kid to be labeled a sex offender and have it follow him for the rest of his life.
--

Ok I guess you are right.. its the little sluts fault.:S

Why are you being so irrational on this subject? Lindsey's comments are quite reasonable.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

Hey.. what the hell......................... its been the little sluts fault since Eve led Adam astray.

You are joking right? Women always get to be the 'innocent party' in matters like this. Same in tit for tat domestic violence relationships. Almost always its the man who gets taken away.

So it should really be Adams always been an outcast in society since Eves malicious rape allegation

So it should really be Adams always been an outcast in society since Eves malicious rape allegation

Not in this country it isnt.... in a VERY HIGH majority of rape cases they rape the victim all over again in the court room>:(>:(>:(

Just don't be so sure with your 'women get a hard deal, all men are animals' routine.

Unfortunately giving evidence is something thats required to convict. I'm sure they are able to give a link via monitor or other arrangements are made for vulnerable/intimidated parties. You can't deal with things on the basis of someones word scribbled in a police officers notebook or on a statement unfortunately.

The American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law has adopted an interesting solution. Rather than register, warn, reregister, etc, have a community for sex offenders. It would be a hell of a lot less expensive and would keep sex offenders from entering our neighborhoods. here's how it would work. Get a big piece of land, Liken it to a "reservation" and have each member wear a bracelet. anyone can enter through the community, but the sex offenders cannot leave. currently in several states, and in California, sex offenders (which includes child molesters, rapists, and those that expose themselves) undergo a psychiatric evaluation prior to parole. If deemed a further danger, sex offenders can be held for another 45 days and if considered an MDO, (mentally disordered offender) can be place in a forensic hospital a fulfill their parole there.

Good idea! And we could have seperate ones for Jews and instead of calling it a community we could call it a ghetto. Maybe while we're in the process of cleaning up we could round up the homosexuals and gypsies too

And we could have seperate ones for Jews and instead of calling it a community we could call it a ghetto. Maybe while we're in the process of cleaning up we could round up the homosexuals and gypsies too

I don't get what Jews or Homosexuals did to be lumped in with pople who have made a conscious choice to harm little children?
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I don't get what Jews or Homosexuals did to be lumped in with pople who have made a conscious choice to harm little children?

Devil's Advocate.

Isn't homosexuality in the DNA. They all get a pass regardless of their deviant behavior.

Maybe it's in the blood of the pedophile. They just can't help themselves.:S

No one is getting a "pass" here Mr Devils Advocate.

Its about Consent.

We as a society do not believe that children can be consenting...We as a society do not believe that someone who is raped is gioving consent.....but two consenting adults is a far different thing.

Children and victims of sexual assault are and should be a protected group from predators... they believe they do not need anyones consent. They need to be removed from the group of us ( known as society) that do not want our children or family members molested.>:(

I hardly think it should be a label he should carry for decades...he was 13, she 9.

Instead of looking at age difference, (4 years) think of it in terms of school grades. A thirteen year old is in teh 8th grade (almost in high school). A nine year old is in the 4th grade. think about what you were like and how mature you were and then tell me whether or not the nine year old is responsible.

In addition, there is a VERY HIGH recidivism rate of sex offending when the sex offender starts as a child. I am a psychiatrist at a level 4 SNY (sensitive needs yard) prison. of 185 men in my building, 90% are child molesters. During our interviews, many have revealed that they started offending at very young ages. One of them has said that at age 7, he knew he was a child molester. He was offending toddlers at age 7.