downwardspiral

Magazine capacity in CA

Why is your aim so bad that it requires more than 10 round for you to defend yourself?

Goshdarn gun nuts! ;)

(BTW, fuck it if you can't take a joke.)

Actually, I went to the range last night and put 42 out of 42 rounds in the Bullseye at 50 feet with a Sig P225.

Here's the point so pay attention. If I had 15 round mags that I kept loaded for home defense, I would load them with 10 rounds so the spring doesn't weaken prematurely. Also if I wasn't a law abiding citizen I'd take a road trip to the Grand Canyon and pick up some 15 round mags on the way.

Edited to add: I was shooting at your standard human silhoette target.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Why is your aim so bad that it requires more than 10 round for you to defend yourself?

Goshdarn gun nuts! ;)

Actually, I went to the range last night and put 42 out of 42 rounds in the Bullseye at 50 feet with a Sig P225.

Here's the point so pay attention. If I had 15 round mags that I kept loaded for home defense, I would load them with 10 rounds so the spring doesn't weaken prematurely. Also if I wasn't a law abiding citizen I'd take a road trip to the Grand Canyon and pick up some 15 round mags on the way.

Well then, with your shooting accuracy, it would seem like you could put 7 rounds in a 10 round mag and still be able to kill at least 7 people attacking you. Are you planning on getting attacked by more than 7 people?

Goshdarn gun nuts! ;)

Well then, with your shooting accuracy, it would seem like you could put 7 rounds in a 10 round mag and still be able to kill at least 7 people attacking you. Are you planning on getting attacked by more than 7 people?

Exactly! What can I do with 15 that I can't do with 10?
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Why the fuck in California is there a law that says I cannot buy a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds?!?!?

Instead of speculating as to what the Legislature's reasoning was, go to the source: research the legislative history of the statute.

Every state law begins life as a bill authored and sponsored by either a legislator or the Governor. When the bill is proposed, it will be accompanied by a statement as to its proponent's rationale. The bill will then go to committee, where it will be debated and edited. There may be citizen testimony in front of the committee by proponents and opponents of the bill. It will then go to the floor of the legislature, where it will be debated and edited some more. There will also be negotiations between the State House and the State Senate to reconcile each house's pet concerns. The Governor also often weighs in on the process to assure it's a bill he can live with and won't veto. All of this process is on the record; it leaves a paper trail. That is the law's legislative history. It's in the public domain, and can be looked up by anyone with the energy to do so.

I have an XD 45 and it's a great gun but they only have 13 round mags, not 15. Here in NM we can carry openly with no license and no limit on ammo as well as concealed in vehicles.
13 round mags run about $20 - $25 each from what I've seen.

Dave

The history was simple - 101 California and the shootout there.

There has been a very silly conclusion made that smaller magazines means less killing potential. Anyone who has actually used a gun knows that the time to switch magazines can be less than a second, and casually done is still only a few seconds.

The self defense angle probably doesn't apply because there are no CCWs in the state. But at the range, it means more interruptions to reload. And since it's usually a pain in the ass to get the last round (or two) in, you're down to 8-9 rounds in a magazine well designed for 12 or 15.

One of the consequences of the state ban (and the 10 year fed ban on manufacturing new ones that is no longer present) is that people shifted to bigger caliber guns. If you can only have 10, why take the 'underpowered' 9mm when you could use a 40 or a .45? This increased lethality and probably decreased safety by a small margin.

You could buy the compact model. I don't like the feel of it with the 7 round mags in it though. But if you ever move out of Cali you could pick up the 13 round mags with the grip extention and you have a service model. I have shot the XD45 and like it very much. I plan on buying one soon.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

Goshdarn gun nuts! ;)

Exactly! What can I do with 15 that I can't do with 10?

Turned that one around very nicely!!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Hey Dave --

Just curious. Ever BEEN to California?

Yup, beautiful state, interesting "immigrant" crossing signs down near SD. Uncle lives near Fresno. Best friend from long time back lives in LA. Any more sarcastic questions?

Welcome to the People's Republik of Kalifornia. Just start poking around further and you'll find even more stupid stuff.

It's no better in the Democratic Peoples' Republic of Illinois.... Kim Jong Daley and his lackey Kim Il Blagojevich...
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

If you think the handgun laws are screwy, long guns with detachable mags are verboten now. All "assault" type of weapons now must have non-removable mags and be limited to 10 rounds. Who wants an AR or AK where you can't remove the mags and can only hold 10 shots? Add to that the ban on the 50cal, never mind that it hasn't been used in 1!!! crime in PRKA.

For really great fun, trip on over to Berkely or SF and I de double dog dare you to drive through the neighborhoods of the tolerant folks on the left coast with a republican bumper sticker on your car. People think the KKK was intolerant, try being a conservative in SF.

Any more sarcastic questions?

None more so than yours.

However I do take umbrage at your implication that somehow the entire state should be associated with iron curtain communist countries. Your cute phrasing of "People's Republik of Kalifornia" is simply silly.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Lemme ask you this; ever BEEN to one of the communist block countries? I have.

Lemme tell ya, you have no fuckin' clue what repression is if you think California is in any way shape or form comparable to the USSR.

Not a fuckin' clue.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Back on topic----

Be careful what you get. Hi cap mags marked for LEO can land you in more trouble than you would want to deal with. Past that, about your only option is to move if you want what most of the country can legally have.

On the long gun thing, the restrictive laws in the state have pretty much done away with any form of legal combat competition when compared to the rest of the country. A competitor from CA with a rifle that's legal in his state will get clobbered out of state because his gun only holds 10 while the rest of the field is 20+. Take a match sponsored in CA and you won't have many out of state competitors for the same reasons.

The laws out there on firearms are silly to say the least.

I would love to own an AR15 or AK47. Why? Because they are fun to shoot and just in case a Katrina style catastrophic event leaves law enforcement nowhere to be found.

Actually when history repeats itsesome LEOs will be guarding their bridges to keep people in the communities from which they came regardless of the availability of safe water, food, and shelter....