SuperKat

What are your scientific explanations of these two videos?

Probably a small kids balloon, much closer than they perceive it to be in the first video. In the second video there is no motion that doesn't correlate EXACTLY with the top of the tower. It is static, probably Venus, it is the camera that is moving. Eyewitness testimony is notorious for seeing the sensational. Most of us have experienced moments where we see something strange, some people look at these things critically and come up with an explanation at the time by being skeptical and persistent with followup observations. Others just let their imagination run wild and convince themselves it's what they want to see.

It's comical listening to these guys describe the fairly random motion and the imagined speeds based on an ASSUMPTIONS of distance.

The issue is not explaining it, it's considering all possibilities could it be reasonably explained by a mundane cause and of course it could. There are several very plasible explanations and even implausible but possible explanations for what is on the videos without concluding extraterrestrial, UFO seems to have been co-opted to mean that these days when it means nothing of the sort. Of course they're UFOs

I don’t know if the videos are real. But I think I agree with Carl Sagan on this one. I think it is very probable that there is life on other planets, I also believe there is intelligent life on other planets. If they have the same intelligence as man and lets say only evolved 1000 years or even a 100 years erlyer then us, there is no telling what there capabilities would be. Look at how much we have advanced in the last 100 years.

So yes i belive in UFO not sure i belive every story about UFOs
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I think it is very probable that there is life on other planets, I also believe there is intelligent life on other planets.

I think it is overwhelmingly likely that there is life, and most probably some intelligent life, out in the universe.

I absolutely do not believe in UFOs.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I think it is very probable that there is life on other planets, I also believe there is intelligent life on other planets.

I think it is overwhelmingly likely that there is life, and most probably some intelligent life, out in the universe.

I absolutely do not believe in UFOs.

In that case Carl Sagan would in fact agree with you not Darius, who seems a bit confused about Sagan's beliefs.

Darius the fact that Carl had an intimate understanding of the Drake equation does not mean that he relaxed his demand for extraordinary evidence to support extraordinary claims.

These videos are mundane, but the camera jitter Venus shot is particularly pathetic. Watch BOTH the tip of the building and Venus simultaneously. It highlights just how crap eyewitnesses are.

I want to believe, but there is just no compelling evidence, I do think it is very likely that life exists on other planets. That intelligent life exists on another planet right now in our Galaxy is open to question. That space-faring intelligent life from another planet is buzzing Las Vegas suburbs in mylar balloons at the behest of a self styled new age guru is just a moronic suggestion.

In that case Carl Sagan would in fact agree with you not Darius, who seems a bit confused about Sagan's beliefs.

Carl Sagan agrees with rednecks.:D

I want to believe, but there is just no compelling evidence, I do think it is very likely that life exists on other planets. That intelligent life exists on another planet right now in our Galaxy is open to question.

Elsewhere in our galaxy? Who knows, I guess it's possible, though to be honest I'd be very, very surprised if it was discovered. But our galaxy is just such a tiny part of what is out there!

In the second video there is no motion that doesn't correlate EXACTLY with the top of the tower.

I can't see the first video right now, but as for the second: Is that jackass actually trying to suggest that the blip movement is anything other than camera movement (for some reason I was thinking he was suggesting that it was moving like that before this video was shot). CBS-Cleveland should be embarrassed for showing this news clip.

--Head
--
Turn off the internet! Join Citizens United Negating Technology For Life And People's Safety!

http://www.citizensunitednegatingtechnology.org/

Carl Sagan agrees with rednecks.:D

Awesome.

Elsewhere in our galaxy? Who knows, I guess it's possible, though to be honest I'd be very, very surprised if it was discovered. But our galaxy is just such a tiny part of what is out there!

I wouldn't be surprised, it'd be exhilarating, but the chances of it being discovered in my lifetime are considerably less that the chances of it existing. Our galaxy is a tiny part of the Universe, but I chose it intentionally (and it says nothing about the origin of that intelligent life).

Space and time is an immense barrier to this kind of exploration, even within the Milky Way.

In the second video there is no motion that doesn't correlate EXACTLY with the top of the tower.

I can't see the first video right now, but as for the second: Is that jackass actually trying to suggest that the blip movement is anything other than camera movement (for some reason I was thinking he was suggesting that it was moving like that before this video was shot). CBS-Cleveland should be embarrassed for showing this news clip.

--Head

I'll speculate that it is more likely he saw Venus, thought "WOW a UFO" (it is a very common mistake) video'd the thing, then when he saw the video thought "Holy shit it's moving around". Whether he knew this was camera jitter or not did not stop him exploiting the motion to convince others of what he "knew" to be true.

I wouldn't be surprised, it'd be exhilarating, but the chances of it being discovered in my lifetime are considerably less that the chances of it existing. Our galaxy is a tiny part of the Universe, but I chose it intentionally (and it says nothing about the origin of that intelligent life).

Space and time is an immense barrier to this kind of exploration, even within the Milky Way.

Yep, agree with pretty much everything there.

I think I agree with Carl Sagan on this one. I think it is very probable that there is life on other planets, I also believe there is intelligent life on other planets. If they have the same intelligence as man and lets say only evolved 1000 years or even a 100 years erlyer then us, there is no telling what there capabilities would be. Look at how much we have advanced in the last 100 years.

Unfortunately, if they had the same intellegence as man and evolved a few hundred thousand year ago, they'd have probably destroyed themselves by now.

I think aliens are studying our culture as anthropologists would. They see professional wrestling and reality shows, and decide that we're not ready to be introduced to them.

From the Universe song (Python's Meaning of Life):

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!

People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

And on the 7th day... I (god) got bored... and I said "This is not good!" So I got a new Puppy & played the 'see how long he'll chase the flashlight game'!:PB|
*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}

I think I agree with Carl Sagan on this one. I think it is very probable that there is life on other planets, I also believe there is intelligent life on other planets. If they have the same intelligence as man and lets say only evolved 1000 years or even a 100 years erlyer then us, there is no telling what there capabilities would be. Look at how much we have advanced in the last 100 years.

Unfortunately, if they had the same intellegence as man and evolved a few hundred thousand year ago, they'd have probably destroyed themselves by now.

You're referring to factor fL in the Drake equation:

http://www.activemind.com/Mysterious/Topics/SETI/drake_equation.html

There are a number of factors that may be very low in that equation. For example ne and fi make me lean towards pessimism. fL is the remaining unknown for our own civilization (although we may not truly meed fc criteria yet).

We know that the answer is at least 1.0 in the Milky Way but by definition any civilization asking the question has that as a baseline.

P.S. 1.0 civilizations says nothing about the lower bounds of the result of the equation.

You're referring to factor fL in the Drake equation

Exactly.

It has always been the one factor that has made me very pessimistic about SETI. Having two rare civilizations occur even remotely near each other such that communication could take place before one ended is mind-bogglingly unlikely.

Which is, of course, not to say that it can't or even hasn't happened in the past (I smile a little bit and think about, "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." ) but odds are we're on a pretty lonely rock.

I agree. The Drake Equation is the ultimate Occam's Razor, but as stated, extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof.

No "evidence" of the existence of extraterrestrials has ever been PROVEN. NONE of the claims have stood up to scientific scrutiny.

If there ever is reliable proof that cannot be denied, it will of course change everything about Mankind and its place in the universe.

Many extrasolar planets have been discovered, and now the race is on to find some of the "Goldilocks" planets (not too hot, not too cold) in long-term stable orbits around stable stars. We're going to find them soon.

If enough of them are found, they will help (via gross extrapolation, I guess) to further define the Drake Equation.

Do I believe in the existence of extraterrestrials? I want to believe, but the rational, scientific mind must temper that desire with the countering philosophy - SHOW ME THE IRREFUTABLE PROOF, not just jittery videos. Then, and only then, I will believe.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

The methods used until now to detect extrasolar planets inherently select for very large and/or very hot candidates, so it's not very informative at this stage. It should improve with space based transit photometry.

http://www.kepler.arc.nasa.gov/

You will have to multiply the finds by a large number to produce a true estimate since their ecliptic plane will have to approximately align with our solar system for a detection.

This is easily the most interesting mission NASA is planning right now.

What are your scientific explanations of these two videos?

They are both television news broadcasts that have been converted to a compressed digital format and published to Internet web sites.

Also see:

http://www.youtube.com

http://www.skydivingmovies.com

This kind of visual manifestation of information is a pretty common occurance around the area I live in, particularly in the colder months.

That's my abbreviated scientific explaination of the videos.
Owned by Remi #?

Wow...this is funny...like "watching my cat try to figure out quantum physics" funny

ROTFLMAO! :D:D:D:D:DB| You're one Funny Mo-Fo ExAFO!
*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}

The only explanation that I can come up with is.... They are crap.

I'm not saying that ETs don't exist; The chances that life can only be found on Earth does not seem logical to me but UFOs, that's a different story. not enough evidence and after travelling such a long way, they'd want to be seen by more people than a few Red Necks and Blue Rinse grannies.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome