kallend

Another gag on US scientists

I think that it is not right to call it a "gag."

I think it should be called merely a neccesary step to prevent disruptive speech that is contrary to the viewpoints of the administrators. These scientists are creatures of the administration and thus must be careful not to disrupt anything.

I believe that these scientists must demonstrate their tolerance of administration views and give these viewpoints respect without challenge or disruption. If the scientists DO speak their minds, it is further evidence of the utter failure of the US public school system - and showing that they probably came from private schools.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

>Professor Bjarne Andresen of the University of Copenhagen's Niels Bohr
>Institute says it is meaningless to talk about an average global
>temperature.

Well, he may think so (and he may have a nifty abstract point to make) but it's like saying the average temperature in your refrigerator is meaningless, because so many things in it are different temperatures. But most people still understand that if the average temp is 36F all is well, and if it's 72F your milk is going to spoil - no matter what a physicist says about averages.

>And he points out there are several different methods by which scientists
>calculate average temperatures — and they can come up with many
>different answers from the same set of numbers.

The example he gives is incorrect. No one uses geometric averaging to come up with average planetary temperatures. If they did, he would have a good point.

>Professor Bjarne Andresen of the University of Copenhagen's Niels Bohr
>Institute says it is meaningless to talk about an average global
>temperature.

Well, he may think so (and he may have a nifty abstract point to make) but it's like saying the average temperature in your refrigerator is meaningless, because so many things in it are different temperatures. But most people still understand that if the average temp is 36F all is well, and if it's 72F your milk is going to spoil - no matter what a physicist says about averages.

>And he points out there are several different methods by which scientists
>calculate average temperatures — and they can come up with many
>different answers from the same set of numbers.

The example he gives is incorrect. No one uses geometric averaging to come up with average planetary temperatures. If they did, he would have a good point.

Does this opinion even lead you to think about it? Or is there no room for error for you in your beliefs?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>Does this opinion even lead you to think about it? Or is there no room
>for error for you in your beliefs?

I will tell you what. If you can find ONE organization (the IPCC, NOAA, whoever) who uses geometric instead of arithmetic-mean averaging to determine average temperatures, I will agree with you that their data cannot be accurately compared to past measurements to determine how much the planet is warming.

There's plenty of possibility of error in science. However, "sorta sounds fishy to me!" is not evidence of error. Comparison of an arithmetic-mean averaging and a geometric averaging system WOULD be evidence of error.

That analogy wallows in a vast sea of crappiness! :D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Okay, imaging a shuttlecock at 72F . . .

:P
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Okay, imagine a shuttlecock at 72F . . .

:P

You are sooo bad! :D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

>That analogy wallows in a vast sea of crappiness!

Why? Why are some temperature averages meaningless and some quite meaningful?

In the end I can make any data set return a result you request. The chalenge is to find a way to evaluate the data to get numbers that actually mean what they are telling us, not what we want to believe.

that is the world of statistics and reports and great care must to be taken to get something meaningful and TRUTHFUL.

If you don't believe me find someone else you trust in the stats field and ask them.

all I am saying is great care must be taken or the "numbers" can and will mislead if you let them
Abraham Lincoln

>That analogy wallows in a vast sea of crappiness!

Why? Why are some temperature averages meaningless and some quite meaningful?

Yes, the average temperature in your refrigerator has no meaning to this subject.

>Yes, the average temperature in your refrigerator has no meaning to this subject.

Do you believe that the average temperature in your refrigerator (or freezer) has no relation to whether ice melts in your freezer or not? If you really believe that average temperatures don't matter, then your position might make sense.

In the end I can make any data set return a result you request. The chalenge is to find a way to evaluate the data to get numbers that actually mean what they are telling us, not what we want to believe.

Which is why the scientific method utilizes peer review prior to publication. No journal or author wants to have to deal with a retraction.

Which is why the scientific method utilizes peer review prior to publication. No journal or author wants to have to deal with a retraction.

Doesnt pull the politics out of it howerve. And I am getting more confident that this issue will go away soon because no one will even talk about it once the true science comes out.

And that is all this issue is at this time, opinion.
Abraham Lincoln

seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/306820_bears09.html?source=mypi

U.S. bars talk of climate change effects on bears
Memos set strict limits on what officials can say abroad

P-I STAFF AND NEWS SERVICES

The Bush administration is ordering federal wildlife officials headed for international meetings on polar bears not to talk about how climate change and melting ice are affecting the imperiled animals.

It is the latest in a string of cases in which the administration has carefully controlled or even banned government employees' public speech about global warming.

Did you happen to see the lastest "funding" of (one of your favorites) Dr Hansen in the news lately?

Oh, and this is a trick question. You may want to do some research (if you havent heard) before you reply
Abraham Lincoln

seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/306820_bears09.html?source=mypi

U.S. bars talk of climate change effects on bears
Memos set strict limits on what officials can say abroad

P-I STAFF AND NEWS SERVICES

The Bush administration is ordering federal wildlife officials headed for international meetings on polar bears not to talk about how climate change and melting ice are affecting the imperiled animals.

It is the latest in a string of cases in which the administration has carefully controlled or even banned government employees' public speech about global warming.

Did you happen to see the lastest "funding" of (one of your favorites) Dr Hansen in the news lately?

Oh, and this is a trick question. You may want to do some research (if you havent heard) before you reply

corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NGRiMDc4OTZkNjQwZmRlMmZjMmMwNjI4MWM1MDliM2M=

Yes, I can see that is relevant.

Or did you mean the other Dr. Hansen? The crystallographer at Riso?

Or could it have been this one, from the Globe and Mail?
September 11, 2007 at 9:44 AM EDT

Forget about the spectre of overprogramming your teenager.

If teens are interested in signing up for violin lessons, soccer and drama club, tell them to go for it, says a researcher who studies the effects of organized youth activities.

"It's the parents who are overprogrammed," says David Hansen, a professor of human and community development at the University of Illinois. "... Research doesn't support the idea that the kids are."

In recent years, there has been a backlash against involving children in too many scheduled activities, with some experts cautioning that club meetings and hockey games could be eating away at kids' free play - with negative effects.

But, in fact, more structured activities may be better than fewer, Dr. Hansen says.

While a few hours a week of such activities offer some benefits, the positive effect is boosted by doing as many as 10 hours a week, according to a study he published last month in the Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology.

Dr. Hansen surveyed 1,822 Grade 11 students from 19 high schools about their experiences in extracurricular activities including sports, performance and fine arts, academic clubs, leadership and community-based groups (such as Scouts), career and technical organizations, and service and faith-based groups.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Missing the obvious, again?

Tsk, tsk. [:/]

Here you go:
http://www.notesinthemargin.com/archives/392

Under the so-called “politicization of science” program, George Soros’ (the favorite fundraiser of many democrats) has reportedly given as much as $720,000 to Hansen to help package his alarmist claims and get them pushed by the mainstream media

Here you go:

Under the so-called “politicization of science” program, George Soros’ (the favorite fundraiser of many democrats) has reportedly given as much as $720,000 to Hansen to help package his alarmist claims and get them pushed by the mainstream media

How much has Exxon given to deniers? $1,600,000 to the American Enterprise Institute alone, $2M to the CEI.

Here you go:

How much has Exxon given to deniers? $1,600,000 to the American Enterprise Institute alone, $2M to the CEI.

That whole "well, Johnny did it first">:( style of childish (il)logic just so lame.

You're Ph.D., right?

Here you go:

That whole "well, Johnny did it first">:( style of childish (il)logic just so lame.

You're Ph.D., right?

What exactly does this have to do with government gags on US scientists, which IS the topic of this thread? Just another lame attempt at distraction?

No self respecting scientist would (continue to) work with this administration. This would be like ordering the welfare people to deny that there are any porr people in the country.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

What exactly does this have to do with government gags on US scientists, which IS the topic of this thread? Just another lame attempt at distraction?

And your last three posts were on topic???

You crack me up.

Here, let me try one of your recent tactics -
You started it!!!>:(>:(>:(:(

Anyway, who gives a shit if our scientists are a humorless lot? :P

Here you go:

You're Ph.D., right?

One thing is for dam sure. YOU, know what a "distraction" is on this site:D:D
Abraham Lincoln

No self respecting scientist would (continue to) work with this administration.

I'm guessing some think they can be more effective fighting the system from the inside.

Don't you just love the fact that THEY throw out a "whisle blower" out as a hero who shows how corrupt the administration is by trying to silence him. Then, the facts come out that he did over 15 interviews AND THEN, it becomes known that he recieved over $750K and was coached for his tv tech so he could bread into the interview circut and YOU are distracting the thread!!!:D

Oh shit, this is good stuff:D:D
Abraham Lincoln

No self respecting scientist would (continue to) work with this administration.

I'm guessing some think they can be more effective fighting the system from the inside.

Don't you just love the fact that THEY throw out a "whisle blower" out as a hero who shows how corrupt the administration is by trying to silence him. Then, the facts come out that he did over 15 interviews AND THEN, it becomes known that he recieved over $750K and was coached for his tv tech so he could bread into the interview circut and YOU are distracting the thread!!!:D

Oh shit, this is good stuff:D:D

The Crux of the matter. :D:D:D