Andy9o8

Donating Organs Could Mean Less Jail Time

Ethical pros and cons (no pun intended). Discuss.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/donating-organs-could-mean-less-jail/20070309025109990001

COLUMBIA, S.C. (March 9) - Inmates in South Carolina could soon find that a kidney is worth 180 days.

Lawmakers are considering legislation that would let prisoners donate organs or bone marrow in exchange for time off their sentences.

Edit: I forgot to post the url link to full story. Apologies.

COLUMBIA, S.C. (March 9) - Inmates in South Carolina could soon find that a kidney is worth 180 days.

Lawmakers are considering legislation that would let prisoners donate organs or bone marrow in exchange for time off their sentences.

Pretty sick if you ask me! I can accept bone marrow donations in return for reduced sentences, but not irreplaceable organs.

Who would get these donated kidneys, etc?... If a kidney fetches a particularly high price on eBay then will the inmate get more time off?.. And will any surplus "offal" go to enrich the prison gruel.

What's the "going rate" for a donation kidney on the open market? I heard figures of $10k being bandied about in the past.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

i can just see an inmate walk up with a cooler of about 20 kidneys and ask to be let out

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think this practice should be extended. Donated blood - have your speeding ticket dismissed, and so on. And if you don't have one yet - you'll buy a "pardon" (non-transferrable) for your future moving violations :)
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

Well, China has been using that type of system to reduce the amount of time inmates are held in custody for quite a while now.
Schedule your transplant surgery in a Chinese hospital and an execution will be scheduled too, but it's the inmate's family that pays for the bullet used in the execution.
Its a slippery slope.
Zing Lurks