Andy9o8

Ollie North: "More troops = more targets"; opposes US troop surge in Iraq

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2007/01/09/oliver-north-contradicts-joe-liebermans-account-of-commanders-opinions-of-surge/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.prospect.org%2Fhorsesmouth%2F2007%2F01%2Fpost_483.html&frame=true

More Troops = More Targets
by Oliver North

For months, advisers to President George W. Bush have been trying to convince the commander in chief that more U.S. troops in Iraq will improve prospects for victory. Senators John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.), both recently returned from Iraq (and a courageous surprise stopover in Ramadi, capital of bloody Al Anbar Province) also support adding more American troops. Unfortunately, they are wrong.

McCain and Lieberman talked to many of the same officers and senior NCOs I covered for FOX News during my most recent trip to Iraq. Not one of the soldiers, sailors, airmen, Guardsmen or Marines I interviewed told me that they wanted more U.S. boots on the ground. In fact, nearly all expressed just the opposite: "We don't need more American troops, we need more Iraqi troops," was a common refrain. They are right.

A "surge" or "targeted increase in U.S. troop strength" or whatever the politicians want to call dispatching more combat troops to Iraq isn't the answer. Adding more trainers and helping the Iraqis to help themselves, is. Sending more U.S. combat troops is simply sending more targets.

Not one single hit. I am chastened.
What, does Ollie North's name not have any relevance any more to provide context? Too obscure? Maybe so.

Not obscure. I respect his opinion. I just disagree (having been to Ramadi myself).
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Not one single hit. I am chastened.
What, does Ollie North's name not have any relevance any more to provide context? Too obscure? Maybe so.

I swear, all that guy is interested in is cutting and running, demoralizing the troops, quitting, handing a victory to the terrorists, and undermining and bashing the president. Some patriot he is.
I wonder if Hannity will tell him this next time he has him on the show:D

"More troops = more targets"

Well, Ollie...you sure strained your brain to come up with that. DUHHHHHH!

The Iraqis will NEVER be able to support themselves in any sane fashion...never, not in a million years.

Soon as we leave, it will be a shoot-em-out free-for-all amongst all the head honcho wannabes.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Soon as we leave, it will be a shoot-em-out free-for-all amongst all the head honcho wannabes.

And the guys who will win will be the ones in black pajamas and flip-flops.

An' it's 1, 2, 3, what are fightin' for?
Don't ask me, I don't give damn.
Next stop is good ol' Eye-ran...

"I think they're in the last throes, if you will, of the insurgency."
Dick Cheney, May 2005, on Larry King Live.

Our so-called "leaders" are completely clueless.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

"More troops = more targets"

Well, Ollie...you sure strained your brain to come up with that. DUHHHHHH!

The Iraqis will NEVER be able to support themselves in any sane fashion...never, not in a million years.

whatever.:S are you suggesting we stay there for a million years??
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

> Or the predator follows the prey...

They've already done that.

Along those lines, given that terrorists are certainly here in the US (several just tried to blow up Fort Dix) - are our troops better used as bullet sponges in Iraq, or defending our country from threats?