JohnRich

England: Gun Crime still Rising

Well, we know that muggings, burglaries, rapes etc. occur with about the same frequency in UK, Australia and Canada as in US, but homicides are far higher in the US. A very simple FACT that you guys try to brush under the carpet.

Where have I brushed it under the carpet - every time you haul out that argument, I counter with the fact that cultural differences between cultures help drive that, not just the availability (or not) of guns.

Why would the culture not have the same effect on other violent crimes? Is it possible that it's the GUN culture that's to blame?

Show me the stats where those crimes are being committed by otherwise law-abiding persons and you might sway me.

Every murderer was once a law abiding individual. Every one. 100%

What a stupid dam statment. Stats show that permited gun owners, leagal gun owners, are more law abiding (ie they get in less trouble) than the general population.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Well, we know that muggings, burglaries, rapes etc. occur with about the same frequency in UK, Australia and Canada as in US, but homicides are far higher in the US. A very simple FACT that you guys try to brush under the carpet.

Where have I brushed it under the carpet - every time you haul out that argument, I counter with the fact that cultural differences between cultures help drive that, not just the availability (or not) of guns.

Why would the culture not have the same effect on other violent crimes? Is it possible that it's the GUN culture that's to blame?

Show me the stats where those crimes are being committed by otherwise law-abiding persons and you might sway me.

What a stupid dam statment. Stats show that permited gun owners, leagal gun owners, are more law abiding (ie they get in less trouble) than the general population.

Pot! People who obey the law are ALWAYS more law abiding than the general population, whether or not they own guns.

Do illegal guns start out illegal, or do legal guns become illegal due to actions or carelessness of their "legal" owners?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Pot! People who obey the law are ALWAYS more law abiding than the general population, whether or not they own guns.

Do illegal guns start out illegal, or do legal guns become illegal due to actions or carelessness of their "legal" owners?

Sure they do! Do drunks take the wheel of a car and kill people? Sure.

As you like to point out there are exceptions to everything. That in and of itself does not make it the rule.

Still that does not change the fact that gun control only take guns from law abiding people and criminals will keep theirs. That makes sense now :S
Abraham Lincoln

In contrast, and much more relevent to the point you would try to make, far less than 100% of murderers legally obtained their weapon. Some (read criminals under 18) were never eligible to purchase a gun.

In contrast, and much more relevent to the point you would try to make, far less than 100% of murderers legally obtained their weapon. Some (read criminals under 18) were never eligible to purchase a gun.

So tell us how those weapons came to be owned illegally in the first place. How did they make the transition from a legal manufacturer selling to a legal distrubutor selling to a legal gun shop and ending up with an illegal gang banger?

So tell us how those weapons came to be owned illegally in the first place. How did they make the transition from a legal manufacturer selling to a legal distrubutor selling to a legal gun shop and ending up with an illegal gang banger?

I'm sure there are many means.

In California, one would be an illegal transfer. Private transfers are permitted here. In states that do allow it, it's probably a considerable source. Doing straw purchases for criminals makes one a criminal too.

Of course, if you purchased a gun when you were still a good citizen, it became an illegal possession when you became a felon.

Theft at the source, the gun shop, the homes. I imagine you believe this would be low hanging fruit - eliminate legal sales and see the supply go away.

But since billions of dollars in drugs gets smuggled into the country with no problem, so can guns. Just look at England with its *millions* of illegal guns. I'm not sure how many automatics (uzis, for example) exist in US streets outside of hollywood movies but most of those would come from outside the border.

I'm sure there are many means.

In California, one would be an illegal transfer. Private transfers are permitted here. In states that do allow it, it's probably a considerable source. Doing straw purchases for criminals makes one a criminal too.

So behind every gang banger's gun obtained this way there is a "law abiding citizen".

Of course, if you purchased a gun when you were still a good citizen, it became an illegal possession when you became a felon.

So some "law abiding gun owners" become criminals.

Theft at the source, the gun shop, the homes. I imagine you believe this would be low hanging fruit - eliminate legal sales and see the supply go away.

So poor security or carelessness by law abiding gun owners puts guns in criminals' hands.

Seems like those "law abiding" gun owners are a big part of the problem.

Here is an Op/Ed that talks to the sources of guns used in crimes. I am not trying to make any point I just found it interesting for the data

http://www.washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20070127-092608-3686r.htm
Abraham Lincoln

Here is an Op/Ed that talks to the sources of guns used in crimes. I am not trying to make any point I just found it interesting for the data

http://www.washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20070127-092608-3686r.htm

Poor Lott, can't get a permanent post anywhere - always "visiting".

He doesn't address how these "illegal" guns "on the street" came to be illegal in the first place. They weren't illegal when they were manufactured.

Smoke and mirrors, John...just answer the question.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yeap O.K I I I give up.

Lets go and campaign to make Cocaine and other class A drugs legal.. We should after all think of others before our selves.

Bye,

I feel like you missed his point.

In the US for example. Smoking is legal. Cigaretts are legal. I hate being around smoke but, even with that said, I feel the only place the gov should be about to do anything about it is in gov owned public places. I do not feel they should be able to tell a bar owner they can not allow smoking because it is property the owner allows the public in to eat or drink. In essance, I feel it is wrong to regulate privatly owned businesses because some busybody wants to go in to this place but doesn't like being around smoke. I aplaud my states Supreme court for saying as much.

Now apply this to gun ownership. In the US it is a right spelled out by the constitution. Anybody making the claim that a militia is what is being talkied about better had better to be ready to give up all the other rights as well because individal right has to be interpeted differerntly for someone to support that claim. The major law schools (for the most part) have stated this and is where I learned that fact.

To continue, regarless if you want to own a gun, everyone needs to fight for all the rights lest they loose the rest of them too.

I do not know what the UK laws state about gun ownership but I do feel it necessary to debate the stats as to what has happened there (since some guns were banned) because the anti gunners (and they did this first) use foreign examples to try and sway people. It only seems right the when facts are wrong or misused, those errors or deceptions (if any) be brought to light.

Firstly you forget this thread is about gun ownership in the UK not the USA. We do not have a constitutional right to own a weapon over here.

Secondly we were never allowed to defend ourselves or our property with the guns that were banned anyway so taking them away hasn't made any difference.

The ban referred to was never meant to reduce gun crime, it was meant to prevent a specific type of gun crime. Gun crime has increased but for other reasons other than the ban.

As an experiment, and as I have been wanting to anyway for a long time, I made my initial application for a firearms certificate today. Not a shotgun licence but one that would allow use of semi automatic rifle or large caliber single shot rifle for 'target' use :)

I'll keep you posted! I believe though that I have to be the member of a recognised gun club for at least six months prior to it being entertained

Good luck - careful that rifle doesn't jump up and start shooting people at random, ok?

but once he gets his gun...he could turn psycho and use it ti kill innocent people...if it was impossible for him to obtian a gun in the first place, you've taken that possible scenario out of the equation...and that's what the british government is trying to do. they are trying to put measures in place to stop some guns getting into the wrongs hands.... like i said before, if those measures also stop lawful :S gun owners having guns too, then in our governments eyes (and thankfully, many citizens eyes too) thats a price worth paying to take just a few guns off the streets that might get used to kill innocent people

In the US those that have conceal carry permits are shown statistically to be MORE law abiding than the general population. NO police officer has been killed by a person permitted to carry a weapon. On the flip side there are 4 confimed cases where officers lives were saved because a civilan who was permited to carry, had their weapon on them and saved the life of the officer.

Your analogy is flat f*7%ing backwards. You see, people licensed to carry are not criminals. Criminals do not care about the law to begin with.

I ask again, how many inocent people must die because a government removed their right to carry a weapon to protect themselves, before you will change your mind???

Our government didn't remove our right to protect ourselves with guns because we were never allowed to protect ourselves with guns in the first place!!! When will you learn? We never had a right to own a gun for self protection prior to the ban. Taking guns away from us hasn't taken away our right to use them in self defence because we were able to anyway.

Most people couldn't kill with their bare hands or stick a knife in someone. Most people are not that way inclined.

Most people aren't inclined to kill a dozen people by any means. Got some science beyond 'i think it would be easier to be a psychotic killer with a gun?'

I don't know much about being a psychotic killer .... I never claimed to.

I don't have scientific quotes for you either..... do you? However from what I've read generally over the years (no quotes I'm afraid) it is relatively easy to squeeze a trigger when some distance from the target compared to the physical exertion and psycological trauma of killing by repeatedly sticking a knife into someones chest/sawing away at their throat/sticking it through their eye to hit the brain. A 10 year old child could kill a grown man with a gun quite easily but they would find it quite difficult (in most cases) of killing him with a knife (no scientific quotes for you there either I'm afraid, just common sense)

Yeap O.K I I I give up.

Lets go and campaign to make Cocaine and other class A drugs legal.. We should after all think of others before our selves.

Bye,

I feel like you missed his point.

In the US for example. Smoking is legal. Cigaretts are legal. I hate being around smoke but, even with that said, I feel the only place the gov should be about to do anything about it is in gov owned public places. I do not feel they should be able to tell a bar owner they can not allow smoking because it is property the owner allows the public in to eat or drink. In essance, I feel it is wrong to regulate privatly owned businesses because some busybody wants to go in to this place but doesn't like being around smoke. I aplaud my states Supreme court for saying as much.

Now apply this to gun ownership. In the US it is a right spelled out by the constitution. Anybody making the claim that a militia is what is being talkied about better had better to be ready to give up all the other rights as well because individal right has to be interpeted differerntly for someone to support that claim. The major law schools (for the most part) have stated this and is where I learned that fact.

To continue, regarless if you want to own a gun, everyone needs to fight for all the rights lest they loose the rest of them too.

I do not know what the UK laws state about gun ownership but I do feel it necessary to debate the stats as to what has happened there (since some guns were banned) because the anti gunners (and they did this first) use foreign examples to try and sway people. It only seems right the when facts are wrong or misused, those errors or deceptions (if any) be brought to light.

Firstly you forget this thread is about gun ownership in the UK not the USA. We do not have a constitutional right to own a weapon over here.

No, I did not. My point was to why John felt the need to bring up other countries stats:|

Secondly we were never allowed to defend ourselves or our property with the guns that were banned anyway so taking them away hasn't made any difference.

Ok, your loss

The ban referred to was never meant to reduce gun crime, it was meant to prevent a specific type of gun crime. Gun crime has increased but for other reasons other than the ban.

So, if guns are still available for the "other" crimes how do you expect they will not be attained by those wanting to comit a "specific" crime??

There was a court case in the US some years back. A family was sueing the govenrment because they had been a victum of a crime and the police did not make it to the site for 20 min. (or some period of time) They claimed that the government had a responsibility to protect them. The judge said (and please lawrocket, corret any major mistakes please if you know them) that the people had to protect themselves and that it was not the governments responsibilty. I know this thread is about the UK but the anti gunners here constantly use over seas (cooked) data to try and make a point for their cause here.
Abraham Lincoln

As an experiment, and as I have been wanting to anyway for a long time, I made my initial application for a firearms certificate today. Not a shotgun licence but one that would allow use of semi automatic rifle or large caliber single shot rifle for 'target' use :)

I'll keep you posted! I believe though that I have to be the member of a recognised gun club for at least six months prior to it being entertained

Good luck - careful that rifle doesn't jump up and start shooting people at random, ok?

but once he gets his gun...he could turn psycho and use it ti kill innocent people...if it was impossible for him to obtian a gun in the first place, you've taken that possible scenario out of the equation...and that's what the british government is trying to do. they are trying to put measures in place to stop some guns getting into the wrongs hands.... like i said before, if those measures also stop lawful :S gun owners having guns too, then in our governments eyes (and thankfully, many citizens eyes too) thats a price worth paying to take just a few guns off the streets that might get used to kill innocent people

In the US those that have conceal carry permits are shown statistically to be MORE law abiding than the general population. NO police officer has been killed by a person permitted to carry a weapon. On the flip side there are 4 confimed cases where officers lives were saved because a civilan who was permited to carry, had their weapon on them and saved the life of the officer.

Your analogy is flat f*7%ing backwards. You see, people licensed to carry are not criminals. Criminals do not care about the law to begin with.

I ask again, how many inocent people must die because a government removed their right to carry a weapon to protect themselves, before you will change your mind???

Our government didn't remove our right to protect ourselves with guns because we were never allowed to protect ourselves with guns in the first place!!! When will you learn? We never had a right to own a gun for self protection prior to the ban. Taking guns away from us hasn't taken away our right to use them in self defence because we were able to anyway.

One more time I KNOW. Ok, I get your point. refer to my other post......

I am however not goint to stop responding the the rediculus point the other was trying to make
Abraham Lincoln

So, if guns are still available for the "other" crimes how do you expect they will not be attained by those wanting to comit a "specific" crime??

Not saying they cannot get hold of another weapon but it is much harder to get their hands on one now

There was a court case in the US some years back. A family was sueing the govenrment because they had been a victum of a crime and the police did not make it to the site for 20 min. (or some period of time) They claimed that the government had a responsibility to protect them. The judge said (and please lawrocket, corret any major mistakes please if you know them) that the people had to protect themselves and that it was not the governments responsibilty. I know this thread is about the UK but the anti gunners here constantly use over seas (cooked) data to try and make a point for their cause here.

I agree with the judgement but you seem to be arguing for the sake of an argument rather than actually trying to understand the facts of the ban. Your legal system does not apply over here anyway. For your info we can use self defence in the UK but we cannot keep weapons for that purpose.

There was a court case in the US some years back. A family was sueing the govenrment because they had been a victum of a crime and the police did not make it to the site for 20 min.

Warren vs. District of Columbia is the case you're thinking of, I believe. It's one of the most well-known, anyway.

From the memorandum opinion in the case (emphasis mine):

"The Court, however, does not agree that defendants owed a specific legal duty to plaintiffs with respect to the allegations made in the amended complaint for the reason that the District of Columbia appears to follow the well-established rule that official police personnel and the government employing them are not generally liable to victims of criminal acts for failure to provide adequate police protection."

In other words, the police aren't REQUIRED to save you - only to investigate the crime.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Not saying they cannot get hold of another weapon but it is much harder to get their hands on one now

I agree with the judgement but you seem to be arguing for the sake of an argument rather than actually trying to understand the facts of the ban. Your legal system does not apply over here anyway. For your info we can use self defence in the UK but we cannot keep weapons for that purpose.

Sorry we are not connecting but I do understant your point
Abraham Lincoln

There was a court case in the US some years back. A family was sueing the govenrment because they had been a victum of a crime and the police did not make it to the site for 20 min.

Warren vs. District of Columbia is the case you're thinking of, I believe. It's one of the most well-known, anyway.

From the memorandum opinion in the case (emphasis mine):

"The Court, however, does not agree that defendants owed a specific legal duty to plaintiffs with respect to the allegations made in the amended complaint for the reason that the District of Columbia appears to follow the well-established rule that official police personnel and the government employing them are not generally liable to victims of criminal acts for failure to provide adequate police protection."

In other words, the police aren't REQUIRED to save you - only to investigate the crime.

Thanks!! I knew somebody out there would have the details:)
Abraham Lincoln

You want to know - you look it up. I'm not here to do your research for you.

***"The Court, however, does not agree that defendants owed a specific legal duty to plaintiffs with respect to the allegations made in the amended complaint for the reason that the District of Columbia appears to follow the well-established rule that official police personnel and the government employing them are not generally liable to victims of criminal acts for failure to provide adequate police protection."

In other words, the police aren't REQUIRED to save you - only to investigate the crime.***

Would be interesting to see how this would apply in UK law and what the remit of our police, I'm sure mr2mk1g will have some accurate information on this.

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

***"The Court, however, does not agree that defendants owed a specific legal duty to plaintiffs with respect to the allegations made in the amended complaint for the reason that the District of Columbia appears to follow the well-established rule that official police personnel and the government employing them are not generally liable to victims of criminal acts for failure to provide adequate police protection."

In other words, the police aren't REQUIRED to save you - only to investigate the crime.***

Would be interesting to see how this would apply in UK law and what the remit of our police, I'm sure mr2mk1g will have some accurate information on this.

Yes, it will be
Abraham Lincoln

Translation: I can't refute the point, so I'm not going to answer.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Translation: I can't refute the point, so I'm not going to answer.

If you are trying to make a point, the burden is on you to provide supporting evidence, not on me.

Want to make a point, then YOU provide the data.