livendive

So what's the dirt on Obama?

Veterans Issues
(Back to top)

2006 In 2006 Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America gave Senator Obama a grade of B+.

2006 Senator Obama supported the interests of the Disabled American Veterans 80 percent in 2006.

2005 Senator Obama supported the interests of the Disabled American Veterans 92 percent in 2005.

Wow someone who actually puts the money where the homilies of supporting the troops

It's good he supports the troops. I think most people do, especially politicians.

Note his dismal record on the 2nd amendment, border control and any kind of tax reform.

Barack is a Senator in my state. It is well known that he is for a complete ban of Semi-Automatic firearms. I would like to be able to like the guy but ...
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

Here's his voting record.

http://vote-smart.org/issue_rating_category.php?can_id=BS030017

Note his dismal record on the 2nd amendment, border control and any kind of tax reform.

The gun thing is a big one for me, the border control less so. Tax reform should be well planned, and I don't see a benefit to changing *just* for the sake of change...the dollars have to make cents too. :ph34r:

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Here's his voting record.

http://vote-smart.org/issue_rating_category.php?can_id=BS030017

The gun thing is a big one for me, the border control less so. Tax reform should be well planned, and I don't see a benefit to changing *just* for the sake of change...the dollars have to make cents too. :ph34r:

Blues,
Dave

How many more years do politicians need to "plan" for tax reform? Isn't it pretty obvious changes need to be made? The tax code has gotten so ridiculous that the cost involved in complying with it is almost criminal. Obama just seems to vote the typical political line with no apparent thoughts on reform, as most politicians do.

Can you name a piece of legislation he's sponsored? At this point, he's just another empty suit like Kerry.

Obama just seems to vote the typical political line with no apparent thoughts on reform, as most politicians do.

Can you name a piece of legislation he's sponsored? At this point, he's just another empty suit like Kerry.

I don't know a lot about Obama...that's why I posted this thread. My first glance reading was positive, your voting record post was helpful, and I'd rather have an empty suit than another one that's full of shit. ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Obama just seems to vote the typical political line with no apparent thoughts on reform, as most politicians do.

I don't know a lot about Obama...that's why I posted this thread. My first glance reading was positive, your voting record post was helpful, and I'd rather have an empty suit than another one that's full of shit. ;)

Blues,
Dave

Be careful of what you wish for. ;)

Here's stuff he's put forward in the 110th. You can query here for the 109th Congress - it shows 159 bills that he sponsored.

1. [110th] S.114 : A bill to authorize resources for a grant program for local educational agencies to create innovation districts.

2. [110th] S.115 : A bill to suspend royalty relief, to repeal certain provisions of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, and to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to repeal certain tax incentives for the oil and gas industry.

3. [110th] S.116 : A bill to authorize resources to provide students with opportunities for summer learning through summer learning grants.

4. [110th] S.117 : A bill to amend titles 10 and 38, United States Code, to improve benefits and services for members of the Armed Forces, veterans of the Global War on Terrorism, and other veterans, to require reports on the effects of the Global War on Terrorism, and for other purposes.

5. [110th] S.133 : A bill to promote the national security and stability of the economy of the United States by reducing the dependence of the United States on oil through the use of alternative fuels and new technology, and for other purposes.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I guess if you like "feel good, do nothing" legislation... okay.

Would you have called Roosevelt someone who wants to send off his countrymen to war and supported the degradation of our constitution? How about Kennedy? How about Clinton? They must have all wanted our troops to die in wars too. Good argument.
Oh, hello again!

I guess if you like "feel good, do nothing" legislation... okay.

Go look at the list again...Taking care of those who DID put their asses on the line is honorable and does something needed.

The Royalties.. have helped a very few companies.. that were already getitng government welfare( ooohhh sorry... tax incentives) to make windfall profits at the expense of the American people who own the resources and are not getting the benefits of those resources being extracted while the companies are certainly getting excessive profits...

Do nothing.. I dont think so.

OOOPS GM is going to hate those..

No, I think that's about average for a Junior Senator. Not saying that given a little time he wouldn't develop into a seasoned statesman, but I've seen nothing so far that would make me vote for him or even consider him a serious candidate. Especially considering there are far more experienced people within the Democratic Party. Hopefully, for there own sake, the Dems won't get caught up in trying to elect someone based on physical appearances or because they have a "sexy voice" which is pretty much all you hear from the Dems about Obama.

I'm specifically talking about bill listed as number 5. I guess I should have made that clear for you. I thought it was kinda obvious. I always wondered how much introducing some bills was really about getting the legislation passed vs. getting some political points for being able to say "I introduced a bill to..."

So far, none of the text of his bills are available on the senate site... so even you don't know what's in those bills... feel good or otherwise.

It should take more than the introduction of a bill to impress you.
Oh, hello again!

>Not saying that given a little time he wouldn't develop into a seasoned statesman . . .

That's exactly what I like about the guy. He's NOT a seasoned politician. He hasn't learned to play K street. He doesn't owe ten thousand people political favors. (Perhaps only a thousand at this point.)

I've had enough of "seasoned statesman." The rep from my area, Duke Cunningham, was about as seasoned as they come.

>Not saying that given a little time he wouldn't develop into a seasoned statesman . . .

That's exactly what I like about the guy. He's NOT a seasoned politician. He hasn't learned to play K street. He doesn't owe ten thousand people political favors. (Perhaps only a thousand at this point.)

I've had enough of "seasoned statesman." The rep from my area, Duke Cunningham, was about as seasoned as they come.

I think you are confusing "seasoned" with "corrupted". The two aren't mutually exclusive. If you are suggesting Obama has no morals and would be corrupted over time, then perhaps you should re-evaluate your perceptions of him as a good Presidential Candidate, which makes my point that he should become seasoned. I doubt you would consider Joe Lieberman corrupt.

>I think you are confusing "seasoned" with "corrupted". The two aren't mutually exclusive.

If they're not mutually exclusive, then they are related - which is what I am suggesting.

>If you are suggesting Obama has no morals . . . .

Nope. Nice try though!

>I think you are confusing "seasoned" with "corrupted". The two aren't mutually exclusive.

If they're not mutually exclusive, then they are related - which is what I am suggesting.

>If you are suggesting Obama has no morals . . . .

Nope. Nice try though!

Then why are you suggesting that as he becomes seasoned, he will become corrupted?

Then why are you suggesting that as he becomes seasoned, he will become corrupted?

I disagree with you both, I think he does have morals. Even if he is from Illinois.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I disagree with you both, I think he does have morals. Even if he is from Illinois.

I agree. I'm not suggesting he doesn't. I think someone can become a better Executive through "experience" in the trenches, so to speak.

>I disagree with you both, I think he does have morals. Even if he
>is from Illinois.

I can't believe you are bringing his race into this! Are you really saying "trust whitey?"

(kidding, I'm kidding)

You know what really, really hurts? When you laugh while drinking a frozen mango smoothie.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Maybe "corrupted" is not the right word. "Compromised" fits better. And the problem stems from the fact that if he, or anyone else is going to make a serious run at the WH then they're going to have to raise at least a couple hundred million dollars. Take the money out of our politics and we might actually have "seasoned statesmen" in office one day. Until that happens we're stuck with the best (and worst) politicians money can buy.

Maybe "corrupted" is not the right word. "Compromised" fits better. And the problem stems from the fact that if he, or anyone else is going to make a serious run at the WH then they're going to have to raise at least a couple hundred million dollars. Take the money out of our politics and we might actually have "seasoned statesmen" in office one day. Until that happens we're stuck with the best (and worst) politicians money can buy.

Are you saying that ALL Politicians become corrupt eventually? If so, I'd have to disagree. I think people with character flaws and low morality are the ones who become corrupt.

Ive always liked what JC Watts once said:

"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is watching".