BannanaGirl

Botched execution halts Floridas justice by death.

Who is to tell who can and who can't be rehabilitated?

You give them the resourses that they need[ basic education, if that is called for] and watch them closely. If they choose not to move toward reentering society by society's standard, then consider them beyond help. You have to draw a line somewhere.

Wow, thats alot of preasure around exam time:D
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Maybe I'm a sick bastard, but I think that a person should die in the same way that they chose to take someone else's life, only more slowly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny, in a different thread I'm sure you claimed to be a follower of Jesus. I can't imagine Jesus condoning your thinking. Have you read the Sermon on the Mount?

The natural man is still alive.

Theives and liars can come to Christ. It doesn't mean that the old nature just goes away.

I see - being a Christian allows you to get away with being "a sick bastard".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

see - being a Christian allows you to get away with being "a sick bastard".

Some of us actually recognize our foibles. Others think that they are so superior that they no need for redemption.:P

Well, at least I am a firm and consistent opponent of torturing people to death, unlike the guy who wrote "I think that a person should die in the same way that they chose to take someone else's life, only more slowly". Seems to me that he's beyond redemption. Of course, just a few centuries ago torturing people to death was the official policy of the Christian church,so I could be mistaken.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I was wondering how others felt about this.

What's wrong with just shooting them in the head? (Except the act of state-commited murder) What's more effective than that? As someone said, killing a human is not pretty, but this at least is effective. Lethal injection doesn't kill instant either. Far from it.

As for the botched execution, I doubt that he suffered. There are people everyday who take lower doses of some of those drugs just for a buzz.

I can't think of a person who wouldn't feel extreme pain when salt is pumped through there body.

The last drug/prescription/chemical in execution protocols is sodium chloride, AKA salt.

There are some who wonder why if the reason for the second drug/prescription/chemical (paralytic agent) is to mask the pain when someone is still conscious when the salt is injected. And according to the one pathologist's report, the short acting barbituate was insufficient and one or more people were conscious when the salt was injected.

Besides, If he actually committed the crime, who should give a damned that he suffered for thirty minutes.
Maybe I'm a sick bastard, but I think that a person should die in the same way that they chose to take someone else's life, only more slowly.

Besides the constitutional issue (cruel and unusual) I also believe we should treat everyone, even the most heinous of criminals, in a manner that does not reflect negatively on society.

I don't think we should shove broomsticks inside people, no matter what they have done. Neither do I think we should cause someone pain, all for the sake of revenge--which is what I think the death penalty is all about.

Just my opinion, and perhaps I should don Nomex.

J

I can't think of a person who wouldn't feel extreme pain when salt is pumped through there body.

The last drug/prescription/chemical in execution protocols is sodium chloride, AKA salt.

I wonder how many opponents of the death penalty have a problem with destroying the life of an unborn child using the same method.

As I recall, saline solution was a pretty popular method of killing the fetus.

How does that hypocritic oath go?

Well, at least I am a firm and consistent opponent of torturing people to death, unlike the guy who wrote "I think that a person should die in the same way that they chose to take someone else's life, only more slowly". Seems to me that he's beyond redemption

I guess that I can be thankful that you are not sitting in the judgment seat.

I was wondering how others felt about this.

What's wrong with just shooting them in the head? (Except the act of state-commited murder) What's more effective than that? As someone said, killing a human is not pretty, but this at least is effective. Lethal injection doesn't kill instant either. Far from it.

I've seen several close range shots to the head where the recipiant lived, its not a cert. Unfortunatly when a bullet enters the human body its course is not really predictable. Sure the Chineese and previously the Soviets used this form of execution but its not exactly clinical and is bloody messy. Not to mention the stress to the executioner, especialy if a final shot is required.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

What's wrong with just shooting them in the head?

How much cumulative psychological effect do you think that would have on an executioner? With lethal injection and hanging there are certain barriers between the executioner and the victim. It is cold, clinical and detatched. Shooting someone in the head is far more visceral and immediate.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

How much cumulative psychological effect do you think that would have on an executioner? With lethal injection and hanging there are certain barriers between the executioner and the victim. It is cold, clinical and detatched. Shooting someone in the head is far more visceral and immediate.

I remember reading about guards, ministers and others involved in Texas executions…some who participated in the strap down team. People who I understand volunteered to be a part of the execution teams, or at least say they volunteered. The guards and others describe shaking, taking showers and trying to scrub themselves clean, tears and variety of other emotions.

One executioner from Alabama told interviewers that he would pull out fingernails, or execute his son. And he insists that he “sleeps like a baby” following every execution. But the person interviewing this executioner meet the man at his house, and found the executioner paints masks of horror on canvas after executions. Executioner said, “They don’t really represent anything.” But then he adds, “It’s an outlet…people jog.”

I guess his paintings are jogging for him.

A Texas minister that believed in the death penalty before he witnessed executions, and now is anti-death penalty. Guards that couldn’t take the strap down team anymore.

And I wonder about those who say they would volunteer to be the executioner…

J
Arch? I can arch just fine with my back to the ground.

Well, at least I am a firm and consistent opponent of torturing people to death, unlike the guy who wrote "I think that a person should die in the same way that they chose to take someone else's life, only more slowly". Seems to me that he's beyond redemption

I guess that I can be thankful that you are not sitting in the judgment seat.

With that comment it is more likely that they would be sitting in the electric seat. ;)
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Death is never pretty. A person can never tell how it will effect them until they kill another person. Plenty of people talk macho shit in front of a camera but would cry themselves to sleep or wake up screaming with the sweats.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

How much cumulative psychological effect do you think that would have on an executioner?

True, though you avoid the part about torturing people to death.

Shooting someone in the head is far more visceral and immediate.

So lets solve the visceral part by setting up a shotgun, and constraining the victim. Now just pull a switch from the other room, and fire the shotgun. Using a shotgun should also solve the problem of the victim surviving first shot. Then flush down the mess with water. It could all happen in a sterilized clean manner, sort of.. industrial :)

So lets solve the visceral part by setting up a shotgun, and constraining the victim. Now just pull a switch from the other room, and fire the shotgun. Using a shotgun should also solve the problem of the victim surviving first shot. Then flush down the mess with water. It could all happen in a sterilized clean manner, sort of.. industrial. This is all sick if you ask me, but hey, you're in the butcher business already.

Even if that was all automated the execution staff would still have to handle a headless corpse in blood soaked clothes. I would imagine that kind of thing could still get to you.

To be perfectly honest, if people are going to be executed I would be happy to trade a few minutes of pain for them in exchange for lesser psychological impact on the men employed to do the public's dirty work. Of course I've already made it clear that I would rather the death penalty didn't exist which makes the decision moot.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

There are still ways to dispose of undesirables. Wisconsin does not have the death penalty, but Jeffrey Dahmer is dead... just look the other way for a few minutes while the person is on work duty with another con.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

There are still ways to dispose of undesirables. Wisconsin does not have the death penalty, but Jeffrey Dahmer is dead... just look the other way for a few minutes while the person is on work duty with another con.

What if an innocent person is found guilty and is murdered in prison by other prisoners? We should not allow criminals to enforce punishments.

What if an innocent person is found guilty and is murdered in prison by other prisoners? We should not allow criminals to enforce punishments.

I'm pretty sure murder is illegal in prison, too.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Yes, but Dahmer was killed by a lifer. What're they gonna do to him??
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

Yes, but Dahmer was killed by a lifer. What're they gonna do to him??

Who? Dahmer or the lifer?

Dahmer? Chop him up and saute him over medium heat.

The lifer? Send him back to his cell, I guess.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Yes, I know. I was just making reference to the fact that innocent people can be found guilty and it would be a bad idea to have inmates handle the executions as another poster mentioned.