orribolollie

PRINTS AND PHOTOS TO ENTER THE U.S?

well, normally I'd think it's a waste of taxpayer money, but since it's the Brits........

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

But the important thing is that someone, somewhere, in the government administrative system actually got to put in their yearly achievements, a small bullet that they made this happen and thus justified an incentive bonus.

And, at least 92 US congressmen will be able to gain votes by telling their constituents that they help make this happen. Strangely enough about 48 other congressment will be able to garner votes by saying they opposed it. Finally, 14 will be able to garner votes by saying they were for it, and then will turn around and garner more votes by telling another group they opposed it. By an odd coincidence these 14 have been in office for an extremely long time.

only 7 of all congressmen even knew about this before it happened - FWIW

So it's all ok

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>only 7 of all congressmen even knew about this before it happened . . .

. . . and of them, only one actually read it, for which he was called "brainiac on the nerd patrol."

and he immediately called the other congressment "insensitive, racist, and very dorky" and demanded a public apology and the impeachment of whichever president happens to be sitting at the time (he didn't know off hand, he has staff for that) or else he'll enact the "sticks or stones" clause of congressional proceedings (section 18.a.2.e.i subsections 13-16, 19, 20, 33-34)

But the important thing is that someone, somewhere, in the government administrative system actually got to put in their yearly achievements, a small bullet that they made this happen and thus justified an incentive bonus.

And, at least 92 US congressmen will be able to gain votes by telling their constituents that they help make this happen. Strangely enough about 48 other congressment will be able to garner votes by saying they opposed it. Finally, 14 will be able to garner votes by saying they were for it, and then will turn around and garner more votes by telling another group they opposed it. By an odd coincidence these 14 have been in office for an extremely long time.

only 7 of all congressmen even knew about this before it happened - FWIW

So it's all ok

You forgot to mention that a few of the congressmen were to busy taking bribes from lobbyists or molesting children to even realize any of this was taking place. :P
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I'm certain it wasn't necessary, I don't bother actually clarify anything from standard operating procedure.

It clutters the post

Hahaha..still appaling really, what a way to be welcomed having saved up for your long awaited holiday to San fran / New York..whereever....

I'm not sure why it is appalling so long as it is done in a courteous manner and to everyone.

I'm not sure why it is appalling so long as it is done in a courteous manner and to everyone

Its appaling because it assumes youll break the law.

Welome to the United States of America..the greatest free(est) society on the planet. Please queue here for your fingerprints.

I dont suppose you get fingerprinted to enter Iraq!

Ok...so why are criminals fingerprinted?
Becasue they can be recognised in the future as criminals.
So, why fingerprint a tourist?
So they can be recognised when they commit crime.
Appaling.

We don't know the background of the people entering the country. Should we check the background first and then only fingerprint those with a criminal record?

I'm not sure why it is appalling so long as it is done in a courteous manner and to everyone

Its appaling because it assumes youll break the law.

Welome to the United States of America..the greatest free(est) society on the planet. Please queue here for your fingerprints.

I dont suppose you get fingerprinted to enter Iraq!

It doesn't assume you will break the law. If it assumed you will break the law you wouldn't even be let in.

No!! You shouldnt be so bloody paranoid is what you should be!
You see other countries doing this? If your going to have tourists come to your country, let them in as tourists. DO NOT assume them all as having potential to turn rogue.
You have the FBI and the intelligence services to work out whoose a significant threat, let them do their job as they have always done.

This is typical of the fearmongering nonsense of the bush administration

It doesn't assume you will break the law. If it assumed you will break the law you wouldn't even be let in.

Fine. So you tell me exactly why id need to be fingerprinted?

It is harder to forge a fingerprint and photo then a passport so they are better forms of validation. Do you believe you should even have to present a passport?

The US doesn't really treat people from other countries courteously. I heard a story while in NZ about someone trying to get a summer work visa (she had been asked to intern at a summer came). She had to call repeatedly to a for-cost number, hold for extended periods, to make the appointment. No, she couldn't make it in person. No, they didn't have a free line. Yes, they would hang up if she held long enough.

The interview itself was equally appalling. 8 hours waiting, 10 minutes talking. But she finally decided what they were really doing was simply watching her to see if she went berserk during the waiting [:/].

We tend to think of the US as being such a prize that indignity is part of the price to pay to get here. I have a feeling that's not as true as it used to be.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It is harder to forge a fingerprint and photo then a passport so they are better forms of validation. Do you believe you should even have to present a passport?

You crack me up!! Yeah of course you should carry a passport, you know why, becasue you cant forge your face!!!
Remember theres a picture of me in my passport.
Hence I do not need to have my fingerprints taken (or have a photo taken) cos its exactly the one in my passport.
Right so now I have established my identity..by the picture in my passport...why do I need to be fingerprinted?

You crack me up!! Yeah of course you should carry a passport, you know why, becasue you cant forge your face!!!
Remember theres a picture of me in my passport.
Hence I do not need to have my fingerprints taken (or have a photo taken) cos its exactly the one in my passport.
Right so now I have established my identity..by the picture in my passport...why do I need to be fingerprinted?

But you can create a fake passport with your photo in it.

But you can create a fake passport with your photo in it

Oh so now your assuming that I might be a criminal again!!
And..if the passport is fake how on earth is fingerprinting me going to validate my identity?

Why do I need to be fingerprinted?

Because if the FBI or CIA is doing there job (like you mentioned) they should have a picture and possibly a fingerprint of the people they should be watching. By taking your photo and fingerprint they can compare it to their database (we have the technology to do facial and fingerprint recognition).

Because if the FBI or CIA is doing there job (like you mentioned) they should have a picture and possibly a fingerprint of the people they should be watching. By taking your photo and fingerprint they can compare it to their database (we have the technology to do facial and fingerprint recognition

But if Im not faking my identity and IM not a criminal which im not ....
Then why do I have to be fingerprinted?