Andy9o8

Free Speech? HS student suspended for displaying "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" sign

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/12/01/scotus.bonghits/index.html?eref=rss_education

High court takes 'Bong Hits for Jesus' case

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Supreme Court entered into a free-speech dispute Friday involving a high school student suspended over a "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" banner.

The justices accepted an appeal from a school board in Juneau, Alaska, after a federal appeals court allowed a lawsuit by the family of Joseph Frederick to proceed.

Frederick was suspended in 2002 after he unfurled the 14-foot-long banner -- a reference to marijuana use -- just outside school grounds as the Olympic torch relay moved through the Alaskan capital headed for the Winter Games in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Even though Frederick was standing on a public sidewalk, school officials argue that he and other students were participating in a school-sponsored event. They had been let out of classes and were accompanied by their teachers.

Principal Deborah Morse ordered the 18-year-old senior to take down the sign, but he refused. That led to a 10-day suspension for violating a school policy by promoting illegal drug use.

Attorney Kenneth Starr, the former Whitewater prosecutor who investigated President Clinton's relationship with White House intern Monica Lewinsky, is representing the school board.

Attorney Kenneth Starr, the former Whitewater prosecutor who investigated President Clinton's relationship with White House intern Monica Lewinsky, is representing the school board.

Well, there you have it. The man's specialty is making mountains out of molehills and he's found the perfectly silly excuse to do it again. Too bad nobody got a blowjob this time....

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Soon we'll be hearing more about how this is one more example of how horribly christians are persecuted. Bill O'Reilly will condemn the "War on Jesus" and urge everyone to boycott Alaska salmon. Al Sharpton will fly up to Alaska and camp out on the steps of the courthouse to protest this outrageous governmental abuse of religious freedom. Then he'll vanish when he realizes this guy isn't black. CNN will do a special report entitles "Christianity in the crosshairs." Tony Snow will condemn the activist judges that allowed the case to reach the Supreme Court. And if this kid is lucky, the made-for-TV movie about the case will get good reviews and he'll become as famous as that guy who lost 230 pounds eating at Subway.

Soon we'll be hearing more about how this is one more example of how horribly christians are persecuted. Bill O'Reilly will condemn the "War on Jesus" and urge everyone to boycott Alaska salmon. Al Sharpton will fly up to Alaska and camp out on the steps of the courthouse to protest this outrageous governmental abuse of religious freedom. Then he'll vanish when he realizes this guy isn't black. CNN will do a special report entitles "Christianity in the crosshairs." Tony Snow will condemn the activist judges that allowed the case to reach the Supreme Court. And if this kid is lucky, the made-for-TV movie about the case will get good reviews and he'll become as famous as that guy who lost 230 pounds eating at Subway.

You forgot the GAY part in there ;) EWdit to add: There was a gay postal worker w/ a GUN somewhere;)

Principal Deborah Morse ordered the 18-year-old senior to take down the sign, but he refused. That led to a 10-day suspension for violating a school policy by promoting illegal drug use.

"Bong Hits 4 Jesus" banner.

Bong Hits 4 Jesus "promotes" drug use? Huh?

1. you can smoke anything from a bong. word.
2. the sign only 'promotes' bong hits for Jesus.
3. the sign contests a historical POV that Jesus may have been a toker
4. 10 day suspension is a bit excessive for an 18 yr old adult. Make him write a 10 page paper on the constitution.

;)
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Historical point of view? I know smoking out can alter perception of time and reality, but what do you consider historical? Would this be comparable to Ron L Hubbards history of our alien forefathers?:P

Historical point of view? I know smoking out can alter perception of time and reality, but what do you consider historical? Would this be comparable to Ron L Hubbards history of our alien forefathers?:P

Right.;)

Point being, the banner itself does not promote illegal drug use.

Well, maybe it promotes drug use... for Jesus. How serious can you take a sign that promotes drugs for dead people (or at least people in heaven)?

Maybe the banner is an anti-drug statement?;)
"Your Honor, the banner in question urges drug users to give their drugs to god."

A 10 day suspension seems a bit excessive to me. But then I don't have kids... so...:S
Ken

speech is not protected in schools

... or apparently anywhere in the near vicinity of schools.

Edited to add: And coming soon to a Supreme Court near you: A series of redefinitions of "near vicinity".

doesnt matter in this case. The school doesnt claim he was on school grounds, only that he was at a school sponsored event.

Had he gone to that SAME spot at 5pm on his OWN and this happened, then I'd say the school overstepped thier bounds, but in this case I'm with the school. Unfortunately for the kid, he didnt think it all through. He just thought to himself "gee, we'll be off the school property, I can get away with this since im not IN school, or ON school property." He simply didnt think it through from all angles and forgot it was school sponsored. Same thing should have happened if they bussed the kids across town during school hours.
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

I have no sympathy for the kid at all.

The school was still responsible for them at the time.

He was ordered to take it down. He refused, thereby giving up his chance to have his fun and get away with it without punishment.

It is already well established that children in school don't have the same free speech rights as they would in other settings. This is not a case of censorship.

Do you really think the school should have done nothing?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I have no sympathy for the kid at all.

The school was still responsible for them at the time.

He was ordered to take it down. He refused, thereby giving up his chance to have his fun and get away with it without punishment.

It is already well established that children in school don't have the same free speech rights as they would in other settings. This is not a case of censorship.

Do you really think the school should have done nothing?

A 10-page paper is more appropriate than a 10 day suspension. This is largely dependent on the goals of the education system. Apparently respect for arbitrary authority figures is more important than the constitution and stimulating young minds to have an original point of view.[:/]
Ken