mbohu

Parachute Systems ZP.exe opinions

Hi,
I would like to see if there is someone who can give me a bit more insight into the performance of the ZP.exe parachute from parachute systems.
Would you recommend it to someone who has about 50 jumps--for their next 150-200 jumps?
I am relatively heavy, (250 exit weight) and am looking at a 235.
I currently rent Navigator 240s at my DZ.
(The reason I am looking at the zp.exe is because parachute systems is offering new complete systems for about $2k less than all others I find, and that is the only main that they produce that is large enough)

One concern: It's sometimes listed as a square and sometimes as a light elliptical. Which is it?
Some people say it has a very steep descent rate. Is that true?
When I watch the few videos I can find of someone jumping it, they all do a slow single-stroke flare, rather than leveling it out first and then keeping it afloat as long as possible...and I read that some chutes (like the solo) don't work at all with a 2-stage flare. Is that the case with the zp.exe? (Even the nav240 I rent, currently works pretty well with a 2-stage flare and if anything I'd like more flare-power in my next one...I also like that it responds at least a little to harness input)

Anyway, parachute systems is not much used in the US so I'm hoping some of you from other countries might have more insights.

Thanks,
Markus

Firstly i would not recommend buying a new ZP.exe
I was not even awear PS were still making these, not listed on their website.
Many jumpers in SA use them before progressing to better/newer/more exciting designs but i have never heard of anyone buying one new, they are older generation canopies.

trim - they are trimmed steeper than most square 9 cells. Noticeably more than a pilot for example.
planform - if there is any taper it is minor, they are very rectangular

My main issue with the ZP.exe is its stability in any sort of turbulence. The canopy likes to concertina, lots of span-wise expansion and contraction. This is much more pronounced than other canopies which makes it easy to spot a ZP compared to other canopies when a bunch of people are landing.

PS. i would not recommend exceeding 1:1 WL for a jumper with 50 jumps. Similarly few people would recommend new gear at 50 jumps experience either unless money is not an issue.

The ZP is the original design that had the accordion effect in turbulent conditions and I know this translated to the smaller sub 150 ZP.EXE's , as for the big 235 + ZP.EXE's they are good student canopies, my home dropzone bought 5 systems with the 285 ZP.EXE's in them a few months back. I flew one this weekend as a matter of fact for a course I did my CI made us jump student gear so we know what we are training the students on. And I must say the 285 ZP.EXE has nice positive flair but for the rest it's a big slow student canopy. And I agree at 50 jumps you should not be buying new look for a secondhand ZP.EXE or SOLO or Puls or similar canopy.
Fly Your Soul, Free Your Mind!

mbohu

Hi,
I would like to see if there is someone who can give me a bit more insight into the performance of the ZP.exe parachute from parachute systems.
Would you recommend it to someone who has about 50 jumps--for their next 150-200 jumps?
I am relatively heavy, (250 exit weight) and am looking at a 235.
I currently rent Navigator 240s at my DZ.
(The reason I am looking at the zp.exe is because parachute systems is offering new complete systems for about $2k less than all others I find, and that is the only main that they produce that is large enough)

One concern: It's sometimes listed as a square and sometimes as a light elliptical. Which is it?
Some people say it has a very steep descent rate. Is that true?
When I watch the few videos I can find of someone jumping it, they all do a slow single-stroke flare, rather than leveling it out first and then keeping it afloat as long as possible...and I read that some chutes (like the solo) don't work at all with a 2-stage flare. Is that the case with the zp.exe? (Even the nav240 I rent, currently works pretty well with a 2-stage flare and if anything I'd like more flare-power in my next one...I also like that it responds at least a little to harness input)

Anyway, parachute systems is not much used in the US so I'm hoping some of you from other countries might have more insights.

Thanks,
Markus

You can't buy a "new" one I don't think, I get the impression they have not made them in years. The Volt is the replacement for it. I got mine at about the same stage as you, jumpwise.

I have a ZP.exe 215 loaded at about 1.14. It's pretty square, I don't know why it would be called anything but.

It definitely works better for me with a two-stage flare - my biggest complaint about it is in low winds I have a hard time getting enough out of it to do anything but slide.

The other thing people instantly notice about them is the nylon they're made from feels very different than what the Sabres and the like you're used to feels like - it's thicker and ... stickier? It also opens pretty snappy if you're careless packing it.

It appears that they do not make anything larger than a 210. If you are set on buying the whole package I would suggest buying with the Volt 210 and selling it or trading for a larger canopy. Should be able to find someone downsizing from Sabre 2 230 or similar and even make a little money back? However you may run into container sizing issues since they are may not be able to account for a larger canopy. I have an exit weight of 245-250 with 70 jumps and fly a sabre 2 210. Only wing loading about 1.16-1.19, only your instructor can tell you if you are ready for that.

I flew what you want to buy. It is a forgiving canopy that mostly opens on heading. Openings are normal and predictable. It is immposible to stall the canopy. Mind you the new canopy is very slippery and you will probably have some trouble packing it if you are not good at it.

It has a steeper glide and the controls are light for this class of canopies. It is sluggish in the top 30-40% of input, so you want to really go full arm stretch on landings. I find it easier to land than a Solo for example. It is a step up from most student canopies but nothing scary.

It's not impossible to stall - but it takes a whole lot of effort - I can both toggle and riser stall my zp.exe 215 - but it takes a few wraps to toggle stall it. my 185 I can toggle stall pretty easily - first jump on it I wanted to find the stall points and did easily.

The nylon feels totally different than any other canopies I've handled, but it's not difficult to handle, just takes practice packing like anything else.