sundevil777

If Foley were a Democrat, would he be forced to resign by his party?

I think not.

I think his party would say:

1) So far there isn't proof he actually had sex with any of the pages, so that reduces the severity of his "transgression".

2) He apparently waited until pages left the program before contacting them with more explicit messages, so that reduces the severity of his "transgression".

3) The age of consent in D.C. is 16, so that reduces the severity of his "transgression".

There are probably other things that could be used to minimize his actions.

The Dems did it for Stubbs, and he did actually have sex with a minor. I understand he got 3 standing ovations from his party, and turned his back to the speaker when his censure was being read. Why wouldn't they defend another of their members similarly? Shouldn't another one of their members in less trouble expect similar support from his party?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I don't think so. As you said, and i agree with, he would have probably been safeguarded by his party. Seems the SOP's for that party.:|
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

As much as I'd like to gripe about the different standards (they are what they are), it doesn't really address a broader issue and serves no one.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I think his party would say:

1) So far there isn't proof he actually had sex with any of the pages, so that reduces the severity of his "transgression".

2) He apparently waited until pages left the program before contacting them with more explicit messages, so that so that reduces the severity of his "transgression".

3) The age of consent in D.C. is 16, so that reduces the severity of his "transgression".

There are probably other things that could be used to minimize his actions.

Those same actions are being bandied about right now by the far right.... in the numerous threads on Foley.

My litmus test for politicians is.. not whether what they are doing is legal( which seems all important...ie Tom Delay) but rathter are they doing a job that they themselves feel is RIGHT( and you KNOW what the hell I am talking about.. MOST of us in this society have a clue of what is RIGHT and what is not) .. not what is politically expedient. I would also wish my representatives would do what is right for their constituents.. not what is good for the PARTY

Those same actions are being bandied about right now by the far right.... in the numerous threads on Foley.

How many of these posts have advocated that he should not resign?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

You have such a keen interest in this topic.. perhaps YOU should go look those up..

Personally I find that kind of activity repugnant... and if the leader of his party just told him to "knock it off"( seen in an interview of Hastert yesterday) then he needs to go too. And before you say it.. If it was the Democratic leadership that did the same thing.. then they need to go as well... it comes down to... not what they think is LEGAL.. but what the hell RIGHT is.

Personally I have a low tolerance for child abuse... pedophilia...etc.... and have some VERY harsh things that I think people like that need to be subjected to... to remove them from our midst.
Fucking rehab..... like that is going to cure this assbite.>:(

You have such a keen interest in this topic.. perhaps YOU should go look those up..

I've been reading all of the posts in these threads. I haven't seen such an assertion, so I thought you could remind me.

What Hastert knew about at the time he told Foley to "knock it off" wasn't even bad enough for liberal Florida newspapers, ABC, and the FBI to do anything about.

Are the first set of emails, or the IMs available for all to see yet?

I think not.

Unfortunately for the GOP, Foley is a Republican.

What you think might happen is NOT fact, and is really quite irrelevant.

And apparently the GOP leadership has known for THREE YEARS about Foley and did nothing.

14:04 PDT WASHINGTON, (AP) --

A senior congressional aide said Wednesday he told House Speaker Dennis Hastert's office about worrisome conduct by his former boss, Rep. Mark Foley, toward teenage pages more than three years ago, long before officials have acknowledged becoming aware of the issue.

Kirk Fordham made his comments to The Associated Press in an interview as a Kentucky Republican canceled a campaign fundraising event with Hastert. Rep. Ron Lewis said he wants to know the facts behind a scandal that has roiled Republicans since last week.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>And apparently the GOP leadership has known for THREE YEARS
> about Foley and did nothing.

Another resignation, this time from Reynolds' chief of staff:

------------------
Top GOP Staffer Forced Out for Role in Page Scandal
October 04, 2006 1:44 PM

Brian Ross and Rhonda Schwartz

The chief of staff for Republican Congressman Tom Reynolds, Kirk Fordham, resigned after questions were raised about his role in the handling of the congressional page scandal, according to Republican sources on Capitol Hill.

Those sources said Fordham, a former chief of staff for Congressman Mark Foley, had urged Republican leaders last spring not to raise questionable Foley e-mails with the full Congressional Page Board, made up of two Republicans and a Democrat.

"He begged them not to tell the page board," said one of the Republican sources.

People familiar with Fordham's side of the story, however, said Fordham was being used as a scapegoat by Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert.

They said Fordham had repeatedly warned Hastert's staff about Foley's "problem" with pages, but little was done.

--------------------
Aide Says He Warned Hastert Of Foley 2 Years Ago
Oct 4, 2006 2:55 pm US/Central

(AP) WASHINGTON A senior congressional aide said Wednesday that he alerted the House Speaker Dennis Hastert's office in 2004 about worrisome conduct by former Rep. Mark Foley with teenage pages -- the earliest known alert to the GOP leadership.

Kirk Fordham told The Associated Press that when he was told about Foley's inappropriate behavior toward pages, he had "more than one conversation with senior staff at the highest level of the House of Representatives asking them to intervene."

The conversations took place long before the e-mail scandal broke, Fordham said, and at least a year earlier than members of the House GOP leadership have acknowledged.
------------------

If Foley were a democrat, he would have been booted out of the house within hours after discovering the first emails. Hastert's first phone call would have been to FOX News.

If not, the rest of the democratic party would have called upon him to resign, and would have made the same clucking noises the republicans are making now. (And if you don't think they would have, then I think you may misunderstand what motivates politicians to do the things they do.)

If Foley were a democrat, he would have been booted out of the house within hours after discovering the first emails. Hastert's first phone call would have been to FOX News.

If not, the rest of the democratic party would have called upon him to resign, and would have made the same clucking noises the republicans are making now. (And if you don't think they would have, then I think you may misunderstand what motivates politicians to do the things they do.)

But they didn't do so for Stubbs. He did much worse, and the Dems gave him 3 standing ovations, he turned his back to the censure.

Top 10 Democrat Sex Scandals in Congress

10. Sen. Daniel Inouye. The 82-year-old Hawaii Democrat was accused in the 1990s by numerous women of sexual harassment. Democrats cast doubt on the allegations and the Senate Ethics Committee dropped its investigation.

9. Former Rep. Gus Savage. The Illinois Democrat was accused of fondling a Peace Corps volunteer in 1989 while on a trip to Africa. The House Ethics Committee decided against disciplinary action in 1990.

8. Rep. Barney Frank. The outspoken Massachusetts Democrat hired a male prostitute who ran a prostitution service from Frank’s residence in the 1980s. Only two Democrats in the House of Representatives voted to censure him in 1990.

7. Former Sen. Brock Adams. The late Washington Democrat was forced to stop campaigning after numerous accusations of drugging, assault and rape, the first surfacing in 1988.

6. Former Rep. Fred Richmond. This New York Democrat was arrested in 1978 for soliciting sex from a 16-year-old. He remained in Congress and won re-election—before eventually resigning in 1982 after pleading guilty to tax evasion and drug possession.

5. Former Rep. John Young. The late Texas Democrat increased the salary of a staffer after she gave in to his sexual advances. The congressman won re-election in 1976 but lost two years later.

4. Former Rep. Wayne Hays. The late Ohio Democrat hired an unqualified secretary reportedly for sexual acts. Although he resigned from Congress, the Democratic House leadership stalled in removing him from the Administration Committee in 1976.

3. Former Rep. Gerry Studds. He was censured for sexual relationship with underage male page in 1983. Massachusetts voters returned him to office for six more terms.

2. Former Rep. Mel Reynolds. The Illinois Democrat was convicted of 12 counts of sexual assault with a 16-year-old. President Bill Clinton pardoned him before leaving office.

1. Sen. Teddy Kennedy. The liberal Massachusetts senator testified in defense of nephew accused of rape, invoking his family history to win over the jury in 1991.

Source:
http://www.humanevents.com/lists.php?id=17357

BUT BUT BUT... the age of consent in DC is 16[:/]:o:S:S:S

That would make a trial judge crap his pants in laughter.... affirmative defense = she/he was only 16.... Bahahahahahaha

Today, yes.

10 years ago, maybe not. Standards and attitudes do evolve. My confident opinion is that anybody in either legislative branch could kiss their political career goodbye if this happened to them today.

I also think Hastert playing dumb is going to cost him dearly too. (Not that fessing up would have saved him).
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

This supports what I've said for a long time. When the Dems corrupt, someone has a mouthful of c**, but whne the Repubs corrupt someone is dead, some money is missing / missappropriated, elections are defrauded, or the likes.

So Foley *IS* a Dem, then??
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>he would have probably been safeguarded by his party.

A lot of republicans out there are desperately searching for some way to make this the democrat's fault. Here's a suggestion:

Foley went after these pages through the Internet. Whose fault is the Internet?

This supports what I've said for a long time. When the Dems corrupt, someone has a mouthful of c**, but whne the Repubs corrupt someone is dead, some money is missing / missappropriated, elections are defrauded, or the likes.

So Foley *IS* a Dem, then??

Go back and read the top 10 list of Dems who corrupt sexually. Their corruption is usually of the sexual nature, repubs usually have the type of corruption I posted. SO the fact that Foley committed a fom of corruption usually committed by the left establishes either he is out of character for a reoub or the parties are morphing.

There is a crossover, unless we use conservative logic and think in absolutes.

>he would have probably been safeguarded by his party.

A lot of republicans out there are desperately searching for some way to make this the democrat's fault. Here's a suggestion:

Foley went after these pages through the Internet. Whose fault is the Internet?

Whose fault is the Internet?

That's obviously Al Gore's fault :$

Riiiiiiiiiiight. ;)