warpedskydiver

Ultra Liberals only Forum

Considering the US was founded by liberals, I wonder what definition of the term some people use to find it such an abject concept.:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Considering the US was founded by liberals, I wonder what definition of the term some people use to find it such an abject concept.:|

No, the US was founded on the notion of "libertarianism" which is not the same as "liberal".
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

No, the US was founded on the notion of "libertarianism" which is not the same as "liberal".

Merriam-Webster's definition of Liberal
I always thought the above characterized the founding fathers. Not to say that being liberal (by its original meaning) rules out being a libertarian.
I just feel the meaning of the word has somewhat been distorted in recent years. I don't see how any of the original principles of liberalism would negatively impact the US today, as some seem to imply it does.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I always thought the above characterized the founding fathers. Not to say that being liberal (by its original meaning) rules out being a libertarian.
I just feel the meaning of the word has somewhat been distorted in recent years. I don't see how any of the original principles of liberalism would negatively impact the US today, as some seem to imply it does.

I understand the definition as you referenced it, just remember that ahead of your definition for liberalism (and thus "priority") are: 4-Not literal or strict and 3-obsolete. :P And before anyone else gets their panties in a wad I know that there's "generousity" too. :)

In political speak, it's almost a four-letter word. In its original meaning, it's still relevant today. Odd thing, in my view, the political liberals do not live up to the real meaning of the word. :P
Make light!

I understand the definition as you referenced it, just remember that ahead of your definition for liberalism (and thus "priority") are: 4-Not literal or strict and 3-obsolete. :P And before anyone else gets their panties in a wad I know that there's "generousity" too. :)

In political speak, it's almost a four-letter word. In its original meaning, it's still relevant today. Odd thing, in my view, the political liberals do not live up to the real meaning of the word. :P

We have a winner folks!!!

Odd thing, in my view, the political liberals do not live up to the real meaning of the word.

Although the end is the same, I tend to think that the political label of "liberal" as been applied to people who do not qualify as such (some have also usurped the title).
So, how are true liberals called nowadays?

Liberatarians I would guess

Why not stick to the original definition of the term?
One (of many) definition found on the web:
Liberalism: A political theory founded on the natural goodness of humans and the autonomy of the individual and favoring civil and political liberties, government by law with the consent of the governed, and protection from arbitrary authority.
Does it imply that people who despise liberals are opposed to the above concepts?

No I don't think it does.
I feel these days those who claim to be liberal are some of the most oppressive people we have in office.

I have noted over the years that they claim to be for all our rights and it is not true at all.

They legislate away our rights and then claim they have done it for our own good.

cases in point:
second ammendment issues
Fourth and Fifth ammendments
Interstate commerce act.
and a few others

I feel these days those who claim to be liberal...

Then we make the mistake of accepting the label they gave themselves.
The "D" in DPRK stands for "Democratic", which we all agree is not the political system in North Korea. However, we do not label all "democratic" branding as a negative thing.
By allowing people to usurp the term (some by calling themselves "liberals", others by bashing "liberals"), we manage to marginilize a concept which was in the essence of the founding of the US.
Sad me think...

Ultra Liberals would do well to remember that debating you is getting in an ass kicking contest with a one legged man and getting the shit stomped out of them.B|:D:D

Ha! Ha!...er...wait a minute...I'm a one legged man... :D I got it...j/k
Make light!

Considering the US was founded by liberals, I wonder what definition of the term some people use to find it such an abject concept.No, the US was founded on the notion of "libertarianism" which is not the same as "liberal".[/:|

WOW! Interesting post.

Considering that many who post here have said that libertarainism is unrealistic. And that it hasn't even been proposed.

But I have a tiny copy of the Declaration of Independence, and the Constitution & all the ammendments.

Somehow, the MOST unrealistic & extreme application of personal freedom has resulted in the MOST successful society.

Hey, just maybe, in this one crazy country, that crazy experiment should be extended.
':|
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I feel these days those who claim to be liberal...

Then we make the mistake of accepting the label they gave themselves.
The "D" in DPRK stands for "Democratic", which we all agree is not the political system in North Korea. However, we do not label all "democratic" branding as a negative thing.
By allowing people to usurp the term (some by calling themselves "liberals", others by bashing "liberals"), we manage to marginilize a concept which was in the essence of the founding of the US.
Sad me think...

Nah...I just pointed out how the "dictionary's" definition of liberal is all over the map. The english language is like that -- especially in the "American English" context.
Make light!

>The "D" in DPRK stands for "Democratic", which we all agree is not the
>political system in North Korea.

"It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning." - George Orwell

For those ultra liberals, needing a forum of like minded individuals - go to www.democraticunderground.com

That place sets the standard for narrow-minded intolerance. It's interesting to watch moderate leaning liberals try to give a reasoned take on hot button issues. The zealots run them off in short order.

I love the multi-cultural "let's embrace all cultures"... "I hate all those #$^(% right-wingers!!! especially the bible-thumping nutjobs!!!" mindset.

I think that a Ultra Liberals only Forum is an excellent idea.

You wouldn't like it. It would be riddled with well referenced facts and assertions. The dialog would be low key, well thought out and delivered in a manner that allowed for the development of a meaningful, logical ratiocination.

You wouldn't like it. It would be riddled with well referenced facts and assertions. The dialog would be low key, well thought out and delivered in a manner that allowed for the development of a meaningful, logical ratiocination.

That sounds just like Democratic Underground.:D

That sounds just like Democratic Underground.:D

Actually I wouldn't know. I just wanted to throw out a word that might make someone actually use a valid reference source for a change:D
I do have one serious question though, what's considered "liberal" these days? With where the line is drawn lately even Pat Buchanan sounds like a "lib" from time to time.