skygeek

Would you take an organ from this source?

An undercover investigation by BBC News finds that China has a flourishing trade of organs from executed prisoners. China is becoming the destination of choice for rich foreigners in need of organ transplants. One hospital said it could provide a liver for about $100,000.

China has more executions than any other country in the world. Officials told undercover reporters that executions increase prior to national holidays, so many organs are available around those times.

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Video_BBC_hidden_cam_shows_China_0927.html

Welcome to the New World Order. Expect no Mercy.

The idea of harvesting organs from death row prisoners itself does not bother me. They may as well provide at least that little bit of use to society. With respect to chinas death row i woulkd have obvious reservations due to their notoriously unfair courts. I would also want to make sure that bribes from rich people wanting an organ would not sway a judge who was deciding on whether or not to give the death penalty.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I can just see it now ...

Judge: "You have been charged with murder, what is your blood type and how do you plead?"

Suspect: "I am type A and plead not guilty."

Judge: That rich person just offered $100,000 for a type A organ. "I find you guilty."

Or ...

Man goes on killing spree after getting heart transplant from deathrow inmate.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I would also want to make sure that bribes from rich people wanting an organ would not sway a judge who was deciding on whether or not to give the death penalty.

I'm pretty sure the judge isn't going to tell you whether the bribe will sway his decision. I think telling the truth goes against the way of the law.
This ad space for sale.

Man goes on killing spree after getting heart transplant from deathrow inmate.

To that, he could plead innocent, saying the death row (ex-)inmate's soul must not have left the heart and forced him to go on a killing spree, then sue the state for mental damages and stress.
This ad space for sale.

Sounds like a win-win situation for China! Kill their criminals (both real and the "thought" criminals), keep their populace really scared of big Mao, make a profit off their organs, make a profit off the rest of the corpse for the plastination guy or skeleton sales, then have a convenient place to dump ash one scoopful at a time.

They should definitely be on the Human Rights Commission.
Oh, hello again!

I'm pretty sure the judge isn't going to tell you whether the bribe will sway his decision. I think telling the truth goes against the way of the law.

I guess I was thinking of some method of ensuring the judge cannot have access to that sort of personal info on the convict, and some method of oversight, like rules on gifts and whatnot (specifically from transplant recipients) and keeping an eye out for signs that a judge is on the take.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I guess you can think of the execution methods used in china:
1) Electrocution - out
2) Lethal Injection - out
3) Firing Squad - out

Why not have a surgeon render the person unconscious via anasthetics and then simply remove the organs?

Richards

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,25689-1901558,00.html

Another article with more detail...

The supply of organs in China is severely restricted because of religious traditions that require the body to be whole when it enters the afterlife. Yet the country has carried out more organ transplants than any other except the US. Since 1993 China has performed 60,000 kidney transplants, 6,000 liver transplants and 250 heart transplants.

Thats alot of death row inmates...

Welcome to the New World Order. Expect no Mercy.

Sounds like a win-win situation for China! Kill their criminals (both real and the "thought" criminals), keep their populace really scared of big Mao, make a profit off their organs, make a profit off the rest of the corpse for the plastination guy or skeleton sales, then have a convenient place to dump ash one scoopful at a time.

They should definitely be on the Human Rights Commission.

Sounds like the people of China are lead by a murderous bastard and are ripe for US invasion.....

I would also want to make sure that bribes from rich people wanting an organ would not sway a judge who was deciding on whether or not to give the death penalty.

I put that part in italics to mean the judges thoughts and what the people were saying in quotes. Both statements were jokes (hopefully).
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I guess you can think of the execution methods used in china:
1) Electrocution - out
2) Lethal Injection - out
3) Firing Squad - out

Actually one of the big three networks did a special on this a long time ago. They simply use a pistol shot to the back of the head.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Sounds like the people of China are lead by a murderous bastard and are ripe for US invasion.....

I'll bet you think that post is pretty witty.

There is a strong tendency to disingenuously use (misunderstood, purposely perhaps) arguments from one thread to make oneself look cool in another. Lame.

EDIT: Because it's just annoying.
Oh, hello again!