masterblaster72

"Bodies" Exhibition & Ethics in Art

Yes rehmwa, I suppose you're right. Let's all walk just away from any form of taxidermy, particularly if the subject is depicted in any form other than restfully sleeping.

Oh, and let's close all the museums too; especially the ones which display those icky dinosaur skeletons posed so lifelike and tender with the baby dinosaur skeleton walking alongside.

In fact, why don't we just do away with any form of anthropology or paleontology whatsoever.

OOPS, can't do that. Sorry - You see, for safety reasons, just like my hookknife I reeeely need my lucky green rabbit's foot in my pocket when I jump, right alongside my winning lottery scratcher and Lucky Charms PEZ dispenser.
Strafing field mice, twice an hour.

Sorry, ShefBoiRD, I can't agree with your position that you like to screw roadkill and wash your face with feces. nor do I agree with your much stated position that you like to beat up on minorities

(this is exactly what you just did)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>My impression is that it was a pretty equal mixture of science and art.

Maybe that's a pretty good description of a well-done documentary.

Perhaps... though I've seen some excellent documentaries (such as Hands on a Hard Body) that don't really have anything to do with science.

But I think it would be a good description of Body Worlds as a documentary. ;)

Sorry, ShefBoiRD, I can't agree with your position that you like to screw roadkill and wash your face with feces. nor do I agree with your much stated position that you like to beat up on minorities

(this is exactly what you just did)

Oh, DID I now?

My apologies rehmwa,
I guess I should have better or more delicately elaborated my position (just for the sake of any roadkill CSIs with fecal obsessions who might be in the group).

To answer your first question (that one posed before your content editing), "Apparently I do not. Please feel free to enlighten me. I seek knowledge, not intolerance - but I suppose the knowledge of the intolerant will have to do. So, school me up..."

As for the rest of your inflammatory diatribe, I will not qualify it by refuting point by point. I will just say that I rather think my perspective seeks ways to find good out of any evil, without disrepecting any victim of said evil in any way whatsoever.

How about the South Pacific tsunami, even YOU can't blame anyone for that. What a terrible thing to have happened. One of the worst (Human) disasters of our time. Yet look at how many of us came to their aid, even if only through donations. That is goodness born out of evil. BTW How much did YOU send? Therein lies my point. If you don't like the Bodies Exhibit, do not attend, or slight those who may choose to.

Were it in my power (which it most certainly is not), I would restore to ALL unfortunate victims EVERYWHERE & ANYWHERE that which was taken from them (And regardless of ethnicity, for I only see what is inside a person). Alternatively, I accept that which I cannot change and try to find some goodness in it, or to come from it.

Ok, mebbe I WILL refute ONE of your points. I find it highly offensive for you to insult that poor roadkill like that. Even roadkill would have sense enough not to date me. :D:D:D

Shef
Strafing field mice, twice an hour.

Sorry to the rest of y'all for getting a little off topic, but how could I NOT respond to Albert Einstein there.

you completely misrepresented my position - I was teasing another thread only you and Christel missed it and Christel has a decent reason - So I gave you an example of how blatantly you chose to misrepresent my post. And you did it in a very bad manner to make that false position look even worse. You still don't get it. Then you respond with an insult here too.

And, why to you think the display is evil "my position is I seek good out of any evil"????

My personal position is the bodies in motion is very cool. It's in our area I want to see it and I want my daughter to see it as soon as we can go. Is that obtuse enough even for even you?

stop being a jackass and ask me what I meant and I'll help you - if you want to be insulting, then expect it in return

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Sorry to the rest of y'all for getting a little off topic, but how could I NOT respond to Albert Einstein there.

The rest of us have been around long enough to know Rehmwa and his sense of humor, new guy.
Why don't you sit back, relax, and read a little before jumping into the deep end, hmm?

Just some friendly advice for avoiding flames. :)

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Just some friendly advice for avoiding flames.

I've come to the conclusion that flames (and gross misunderstandings like ShefBoiRD's) are completely unavoidable in pretty much any forum in dropzone.com, no matter how many "sorry if this is a repost" or "pardon my ignorance" disclaimers you try to make, no matter how politely you try to construct your posts...someone out there is on a launching pad to flame away and be condescending. It often ends up making for some fun reading, and it's one of the many reasons why I keep coming back here.

Anyhow I appreciate other peoples' views on the Bodies exhibition and I now have a better understanding of it, even if I still think that the origin/consent of the subjects on display presents an ethical issue -- I could see what one's motives would be to go check it out.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

He just didn't catch the first bit correctly and I flew off and could have been clearer - the water level in this place is really out of hand lately. I'll stop for now. You're sweet though.

I heard that if you bury a dead body in the ground, it'll rise after three days and say nice stuff about people being good to each other - then just melt away

no brain eating or anything - but we haven't asked hairyjuan about that yet

at least the only myth of this happening goes that way - the rest is just movies

I don't believe it, but it's a good story

He just didn't catch the first bit correctly and I flew off and could have been clearer - the water level in this place is really out of hand lately. I'll stop for now. You're sweet though.

It is outta hand, 'tis true.

I guess I just thought with all the incendiary and controversial posts to pick on, your funny moment of cross-thread humor wasn't the best choice of target.

He was so ernest, and I would hate to have to laugh at him before he knows what he's doing.

You're sweet though.

Thanks. I try. B|

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I heard that if you bury a dead body in the ground, it'll rise after three days and say nice stuff about people being good to each other - then just melt away

no brain eating or anything - but we haven't asked hairyjuan about that yet

at least the only myth of this happening goes that way - the rest is just movies

I don't believe it, but it's a good story

Well what the hell else would a zombie eat? :S

Anyone else think this exhibition is beyond morbid and disrespectful to the dead? I have an open mind when it comes to art, but this is where I draw my line. I have friends who have gone to see this and enjoyed it and encouraged me to go, but after seeing some pictures (you can get a glance here) I say no way in hell would I go -- for ethical reasons and simply because I find no aesthetic value in a dead human body.

You gotta be kidding. The exhibit's "educational" value FAR FAR FAR outweighs it's bad taste, morbid, or what EVER value. You have no standing to complain about something YOU HAVE NOT SEEN!

Troll? :S

I paid very close attention to the diseased vs normal organs on display.

You just don't get to LOOK inside a body like that.

I really liked the stiffs around the poker table. One was holding a DEAD MAN'S HAND. (Aces and eights)

:P

https://www.tdcparole.com

Those souls bodies are far more useful than their kinfolk rotting in the dirt.

Can't help but think about Gross Anatomy and the state of those cadavers (50 for my class) when we had completed the semester. We learned from them....per their own requests before they died. People have been dissecting human bodies for eons, but it's been behind closed doors where the public is oblivious. I'm glad that when the dissected bodies were finally put on display the work was more masterful.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail