kbordson

"SLUT"

Just finished a discussion with someone a bit younger than I about relationships and partners. He described one of his current "friends" as a "slut." I cautioned him about the use of that word and it's implications (specifically warning him that using it is a good way to get his ass kicked by her) I then realized that I might be in a different population (age, gender) than he is.

So I started thinking about if there was a general belief.

Per Websters: slut
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English slutte
1 chiefly British : a slovenly woman
2 a : a promiscuous woman; especially : PROSTITUTE b : a saucy girl : MINX

I know as "skydivers," we might not fall into the "mainstream" population, but I was still curious what the masses of dz.com might think.

I dunno. I try to avoid derogatory terms related to one's sexual habits. I wouldn't feel very good calling someone a slut seriously. Joking around is one thing. I just find it one way to throw rocks at people when they have every right to throw rocks right back at ya, if not for different reasons.

"Sexually irresponsible" is my preferred phrase, and if I say slut, i mean sexually irresponsible.

I have told friends of mine to watch their use of the word or words like it. Namely because guys are, in fact, just was worthy of the equivalent condescending remarks.
----------------------------------------
6.8% - Almost there!

I think it applies to either men or women but I don't know if it can be just down to numbers. Two examples, I have a friend who suprised me the other day by telling me shes slept with about 200 men. It turns out that she was at a low point in her life some years ago and confused sex with love, she had a deep need (for various reasons) to be loved. She has now sorted herself out and has a boyfriend who she is devoted to and will very likely marry, shes not the type to be unfaithfull. Is she a slut? No I would never place her in that catagory, she dresses on the conservative side of sexy and behaves with self respect. Point two, if a woman of 17 tells you she has had sex with 25 men thats different from a woman of 45 telling you the same thing.
I think that to fall into the term 'Slut' its more about frequency of partners divided by time minus self respect (can someone make a mathmatical equation for that?)

f/t-R=S

Where f=frequency, t=time, R=respect and S=Slut:D
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I dunno. I try to avoid derogatory terms related to one's sexual habits. I wouldn't feel very good calling someone a slut seriously. Joking around is one thing. I just find it one way to throw rocks at people when they have every right to throw rocks right back at ya, if not for different reasons.

"Sexually irresponsible" is my preferred phrase, and if I say slut, i mean sexually irresponsible.

I have told friends of mine to watch their use of the word or words like it. Namely because guys are, in fact, just was worthy of the equivalent condescending remarks.

So if a woman for arguments sake (could equally be a man) has sex once in their lives but doesn't use contraception of any kind (although pregnancy is not a desired outcome) then by your definition she would be a slut.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

A slut is one who sleeps around for what ever reasons that is a way to self or others satisfaction.

While a whore is one who gains something from the transaction: either monitarey or material.

I guess in all respects we can be considered either of this in a section of ones life or being considered a total of these.
I know of one girl back in high school whos goal was to be a prostitute: did she I dont know and dont care to know.

While on the other hand I have seen/ been with a few who have been around the block a few times just make sure that protection was in order.
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

A slut is one who sleeps around for what ever reasons that is a way to self or others satisfaction.

While a whore is one who gains something from the transaction: either monitarey or material.

Close. A slut sleeps with everyone. A whore sleeps with everyone but you.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

IMHO
A slut is someone who only cares for getting what they want with out any regard for the consequences of their actions. Male or Female.

I also think if a friend of mine used the word slut I wouldn’t give a shit and would probably laugh. I would make a big deal of it and feel like I need to give him a warning about how wrong it is to use words like that. I think the obsession with PC is getting out of hand.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I also think if a friend of mine used the word slut I wouldn’t give a shit and would probably laugh.

OH boy....I can see the word spreading through the Womans Only forum now......10, 9, 8, (Quick, put on that flame retardant suit I got you for Eid) 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2.......:P
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

IMHO

I also think if a friend of mine used the word slut I wouldn’t give a shit and would probably laugh. I would make a big deal of it and feel like I need to give him a warning about how wrong it is to use words like that. I think the obsession with PC is getting out of hand.

Although he is a "friend"... I also feel some parental responsibility toward him. He isn't my biological son but I've been helping raise him since he was 2 (and he's now 21). And add in the medical aspect of it - if he feels that he can refer to her as a slut
1. it's unsafe for him to be sleeping with her unprotected.
2. It's bad for his self image and concepts of relationships to be sleeping with girls for the sex alone.
3. It's not nice to call women that you're sleeping with sluts.

Might be maternalistic, but hey... at least I'm trying to see it from a different prespective.

edit to add: personally I think the word is archaic - but from a protection standpoint .... it started the discussion.

I would say to call any woman a slut when she isn't is very wrong.

I would also like to point out that there are some women that actually are sluts, and they prefer to be called one in some circumstances.

That being said to call a woman a slut when she isn't is an insult to her as well as true sluts.

1. it's unsafe for him to be sleeping with her unprotected.
2. It's bad for his self image and concepts of relationships to be sleeping with girls for the sex alone.
3. It's not nice to call women that you're sleeping with sluts.

One of these is truth, the other two are opinions, one of which I agree with.

Do you find masturbation "bad"?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Although he is a "friend"... I also feel some parental responsibility toward him.

That changes every thing.
I thought he was a friend and just said something to be funny or just goofing around.

If he views woman he sleeps with as sluts then you are right there is some issues, and that’s not cool.

I was looking at it from the perspective of when I call my friends "guys" I usually say "What’s up bitch" and it is just so say hey. If one of them would stop me and give me a lecture about how non Pc that was I would have to smack them.

No... she would, but with the uderstanding that it was just "sex" and there were others that she was dating as well. He was conflicted.... wanted it, but didn't.

It sounds to me like they have different ideas regarding sexual relationships, so it would probably be a bad idea for them to have sex with each other. And if he honestly thinks that her ideas on sex make her a slut, then he probably shouldn't even be friends with her because he obviously doesn't have a very high opinion of her.

I usually say "What’s up bitch" and it is just so say hey. If one of them would stop me and give me a lecture about how non Pc that was I would have to smack them.

Oh boy.... I hope you haven't taken that suit off:D
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I said there guys dude.:)
not women.

You know what dude your right someone will take it out of context and try to make me look like a an ass.

(yes i know i do agood job of being an ass my self)

There i beat you to it.:P

Why do you find the word archaic? Because enlightened persons with higher education ought to be reluctant to use it, given development in society since the late 60's, early 70's?

I don't feel it's archaic - if anything it has involved to a genderless word. I apply it with equal force against men and women whom I feel meet my requirements for it. Mostly to acquaintances or friends and not always in a jokingly or friendly fashion.

It's one of th cry wolf words though, so overused in general it has all but lost its meanings so to me its importance is directly related to who is using it and in what context.