stoneycase

Military recruits an austic 18yr old...

Looks like the recruiting problem continues...

http://www.newhousenews.com/archive/roberts050806.html

Diagnosed with autism at age 3, Jared is polite but won't talk to people unless they address him first. It's hard for him to make friends. He lives in his own private world.
"When Jared first started talking about joining the Army, I thought, `Well, that isn't going to happen,"' said Paul Guinther, Jared's father. "I told my wife not to worry about it. They're not going to take anybody in the service who's autistic."
But they did. Last month, Jared came home with papers showing that he had not only enlisted, but signed up for the Army's most dangerous job: cavalry scout. He is scheduled to leave for basic training Aug. 16.
Last fall, Jared began talking about joining the military after a recruiter stopped him on his way home from school and offered a $4,000 signing bonus, $67,000 for college and more buddies than he could count.
Brenda phoned her two brothers, both veterans. She said they laughed and told her not to worry. The military would never take Jared.
"I said Jared, `What are you doing?' `I'm taking the test' -- he said the entrance test. I go, `Wait a minute.' I said, `Who's giving you the test?' He said, `Corporal.' I said, `Well let me talk to him."'
Brenda said she spoke to Cpl. Ronan Ansley and explained that Jared had a disability, autism, that could not be outgrown. She said Ansley told her he had been in special classes, too -- for dyslexia.
After learning Jared had cleared this first hurdle toward enlistment, Brenda said she called and asked for Ansley's supervisor and got Sgt. Alejandro Velasco.
She said she begged Velasco to review Jared's medical and school records. Brenda said Velasco declined, asserting that he didn't need any paperwork. Under military rules, recruiters are required to gather all available information about a recruit and fill out a medical screening form.
"He was real cocky and he says, `Well, Jared's an 18-year-old man. He doesn't need his mommy to make his decisions for him."

I understand the difficult job that a military recruiter has, especially right now. But this is completely unacceptable to me, and I'd like to see some people get burned on this. There needs to be accountability when something like this happens. Not just the recruiter either, I'm tired of watching the .mil idea of accountability (shit rolls downhill), it's fcuking ridiculous.

They tried to recruit an autistic kid for a forward combat position. WTH were they thinking? Nevermind, scratch that, it's obvious what they were thinking. The more important question is what do we DEMAND be done to prevent this type of problem from occuring in the future?

I've always been one to give the recruiters the slack they need to get the job done. I don't exactly favor the idea that truckloads of Federal $ are tied to how a school treats it's local mil recruiters, but I do believe that we owe a debt of gratitude to men and women in uniform. The general public, including academic institutions, should provide where they can. But when this results, when I see stats that say over 400 mil recruiters received punishment or an outright dismissal for their behavior, I have to wonder whether or not I am being naieve by supporting the recruiters even in the slightest.

The high school provides the avenue for the recruiters to sell to the kids. The recruiters used this avenue and sold to an autistic kid. Does this mean we should eliminate their avenue of sales? Does this mean we need better oversight of recruiters? What if a news organization hadn't picked up this story? What if this family was lower income and didn't have the resources to raise a fuss about it? I, for one, would be completely disgusted to hear about the death of an autistic soldier in combat, especially if this was the backstory behind the soldiers recruitment.

Our military is supposed to be all volunteers, that's what makes our military so great - for the most part people are there of their own volition. Practically drafting an autistic kid by tricking him and side-stepping the medical issues (and his family for that matter) destroys everything a volunteer army is founded on.
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell

Who cares? I'm not a fan of heavy-handed recruitment of teens by the military, but don't see how this case is all that different. Honestly, it's the army, not brain surgery. If he's capable of doing the job, let him do it. I'm not saying he is or isn't capable of it...that's better left to people who know him and/or the job better than I do.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Autism does not automatically imply the inability to make decisions for oneself. If Jared can find a place that will treat him like an adult and give him responsibility, then more power to him.

The question is whether he's functional or not. Perhaps this recruiter is slimy and 'tricked' a non-functional. But perhaps he's the first person to treat Jared like the adult he is and is standing up for Jared's rights. Depends on both the recruiter and jared.

I don't have enough info to bucket this one into some stereotype I have about recruiters or some stereotype I have about autistic adults.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Who cares? I'm not a fan of heavy-handed recruitment of teens by the military, but don't see how this case is all that different. Honestly, it's the army, not brain surgery. If he's capable of doing the job, let him do it. I'm not saying he is or isn't capable of it...that's better left to people who know him and/or the job better than I do.

Blues,
Dave

Perhaps you don't understand autism...

Autism is classified as a neurodevelopmental disorder that manifests itself in markedly abnormal social interaction, communication ability, patterns of interests, and patterns of behavior.

seeing a little clearer now? let's try some more...

By definition, autism must manifest delays in "social interaction, language as used in social communication, or symbolic or imaginative play," with "onset prior to age 3 years", according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

Much of this is due to the sensory system of autistics, which is quite different from the sensory system of other people, since certain stimulations can affect an autist differently than a non-autist, and the degree to which the sensory system is affected varies wildly from one autistic person to another.

Autism presents in a wide degree, from those who are nearly dysfunctional and apparently mentally handicapped to those whose symptoms are mild or remedied enough to appear unexceptional ("normal") to the general public. In terms of both classification and therapy, autistic individuals are often divided into those with an IQ<80 referred to as having "low-functioning autism" (LFA), while those with IQ>80 are referred to as having "high-functioning autism" (HFA). Low and high functioning are more generally applied to how well an individual can accomplish activities of daily living, rather than to IQ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism

Still don't care? You've got the military recruiting someone with obvious communication and behavioral issues. This kid obviously has much more than just a learning disability. RTFA, there's plenty in there about what the kids exact symptoms are. Suffice to say the symptoms aren't limited. Sure the kid is not exactly 'Timmy' from South Park, but he sure as hell isn't 'fully functional' either. It's ridiculous for you to sit there and say it's "not brain surgery". I wonder how the rest of the men in this kid's potential unit would feel to hear you say that, knowing full well that each man is responsible for not only his own life but protecting the lives of everyone in his unit. He's got a weapon in his hands and the authority to kill the enemy. Add to that the regular responsibilities that go along with being a soldier in combat and I just can't fathom how you sit there and say you don't have a problem with it.

Where do you draw the line then? Does he need to be in a wheelchair? Should his IQ be <25? Or is the only requirement that he be able to walk, talk, and shit? He's autistic, the military, let alone combat, are the last places he's going to get treatment and assistance. Period.

Here's a hint, genius, the people that know the job and write the policies for recruitment specifically exclude individuals with issues like autism. Furthermore, the people that know this kid are trying desparately to get the truth out there in regards to his medical records. So you're ending of "that's better left ot the people who know him and/or the job better than I do" is just a cop out. RTFA. Those groups of people have already made their decisions, and these recruiters blatantly disregarded that information in direction because they thought they could get away with it.

Autism presents in a wide degree, from those who are nearly dysfunctional and apparently mentally handicapped to those whose symptoms are mild or remedied enough to appear unexceptional ("normal") to the general public.

Settle down tiger. I knew that some people are autistic yet can function normally and others can't. I didn't read the article, just the excerpts you posted. It sounds like the recruitment is being reviewed, so that's cool.

edit to add:

Here's a hint, genius, the people that know the job and write the policies for recruitment specifically exclude individuals with issues like autism. Furthermore, the people that know this kid are trying desparately to get the truth out there in regards to his medical records. So you're ending of "that's better left ot the people who know him and/or the job better than I do" is just a cop out.

Actually, it's not a "cop out." It was merely a statement that there are people who are much more qualified to judge such subjects than me. I don't know the kid or the job, so any opinion of mine wouldn't even have anecdotal evidence backing it up, much less any expertise.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Autism does not automatically imply the inability to make decisions for oneself.

this is true. as you can see from my above post it implies: markedly abnormal social interaction, communication ability, patterns of interests, and patterns of behavior. tell me, do any of these 3 characteristics play a potential role in decision making ? here's a hint: the answer is YES.

If Jared can find a place that will treat him like an adult and give him responsibility, then more power to him.

You sound like the recruiter. Need a new job? You're telling me an 18yr old boy, fresh out of high school, with autism is ready for a forward combat position in the US Army. You've got to be joking. Because at least someon is treating 'him like an adult' and giving him 'responsibility'...

The question is whether he's functional or not.

No, the question is does the military allow autisic people and did the recruiter purposely not include the boys medical history in his recruitment paperwork. But if you'd like an answer to your question, I direct your attention to this section of the article:

During a recent family gathering, a relative asked Jared what he would do if an enemy was shooting at him. Jared ran to his video game console, killed a digital Xbox soldier and announced, "See! I can do it!"

To me, that example right there says it all - the kid doesn't even remotely understand what the duties and responsibilities are of a soldier. He can't possibly make an informed decision about joining.

Perhaps this recruiter is slimy and 'tricked' a non-functional.

We have a winna! We have a winna! We have a winna!

But perhaps he's the first person to treat Jared like the adult he is and is standing up for Jared's rights. Depends on both the recruiter and jared.

uh-huh....from the same article: The Guinthers said that on Tuesday evening, Cpl. Ansley showed up at their door. They said Ansley stated that he would probably lose his job and face dishonorable discharge unless they could stop the newspaper's story.

Yeah real quality guy that recruiter and his SGT. After they pull all their shit with her son, they have the nerve to come out and request the family not talk to the press for fear of the DD. Guess what Mr. Recruiter? Your ass is grass and the media's gonna be the lawn mower.

I don't have enough info to bucket this one into some stereotype I have about recruiters or some stereotype I have about autistic adults.

fine, but try to stay on course and remember the facts:
1. the mil doesn't allow autistic
2. the kids medical history was not included in his recruitment paperwork
3. it took the family raising a hell of a fuss, and contacting both the media and higher-ups to force an investigation

but as far as you're concerned (and correct me if i'm wrong here) its OK for a little heavy handed recruiting of this boy? correct?

you say it's not brain surgery, if he can do the job, let him do the job. is that still your position? or are you now saying that you have 'no position' as you don't know the kid or the job.

here's my position: there needs to be accountability at that recruitment office, by those recruiters, and from their leadership. what they did was unacceptable and unethical. and if this, along with the statistics/stories in the article, are any indication of the general 'state of affairs' for mil recruiters then the general public might want to re-think how much leadway we provide recruiters at high schools and colleges around this country.

if this is being done to a middle class white family in suburban oregon, what's being done to a low income minority family in the rural south/midwest? how do the recruiters SELL TO THEIR CHILDREN?

but as far as you're concerned (and correct me if i'm wrong here) its OK for a little heavy handed recruiting of this boy? correct?

Actually, what I said was:

I'm not a fan of heavy-handed recruitment of teens by the military

you say it's not brain surgery, if he can do the job, let him do the job. is that still your position? or are you now saying that you have 'no position' as you don't know the kid or the job.

I still say if he can do the job, let him. Not knowing him or the job, I can't say whether he's capable of it.

here's my position: there needs to be accountability at that recruitment office, by those recruiters, and from their leadership.

I agree with this statement regarding all military recruiters, not just those particular recruiters.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

I totally disagree with the idea that 'if he could do the job, let him'. Honestly, you're going to put an automatic rifle into the hands of autistic kid who has problems with loud noises...not exactly 'Guiness-style brilliant'

But if you can support the idea that this is a problem, and what was done was wrong, than I have no beef with you. B|

Anybody else?

/for some reason, stories like this really piss me off. i can't explain it, they just really really piss me off.

abnormal social interaction, communication ability, patterns of interests, and patterns of behavior

Ok, your right... the Army should have sent him next door to the Marine recruiter - he'd fit right in! :D;)
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

Much of this is due to the sensory system of autistics, which is quite different from the sensory system of other people, since certain stimulations can affect an autist differently than a non-autist, and the degree to which the sensory system is affected varies wildly from one autistic person to another.

I familiar with autism since someone close to me is autistic.

The sensory problem would be a *major* issue on the battlefield. Most people with even mild forms of autism will likely freak at the sound of loud gunfire, bombs, etc, and would probably not be effective in a combat situation because of that. Not to say that the person could not be conditioned for the battlefield, but I don't think the 'special operations' units in the army were designed for people with special needs like the fellow who was recruited.

I think the bigger problem is the fact that the military didn't do its homework and run a medical background check on the kid. Also a problem is the attitude of the recruiter toward the family -- less than professional. I think it's indicative of the frustration on the part of the recruiter and the fact that he's having a tough time getting anyone to join...not a good sign of the state of affairs in the recruiting wing of our military these days.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

In order to meet its recruiting goals, the US Army has had to DOUBLE the number of recruits it accepts that have the lowest score on the aptitude test.

Thanks be to Bush.

well, i hope they can find more autistic kids to fill the ranks then. better yet, i hope they just lower the age to 14/15/16. that ought to fix it. this way they can also recruit at the middle schools.

/here timmy...play with this shiny pen...that's right...now sign down here...that's a good boy...

This is laughable and I'm not talking about the Army's acceptance of a kid with autism.

Ever been in the military yourself? Do you even realize the steps a recruit must go through before he or she can be accepted? Ever heard of MEPPS? Do you honestly believe that our recruiters are the only trusted source of medical history concerning recruits? Don't you think that if the kid's autism is a problem, it will present itself during training? Think the kid's drill instructors will overlook the fact he can't complete the training curriculum if there is a problem?

I think you are flying off the handle. Thanks for the laugh. :D
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Pretty funny. They'll recruit (or try to) an autistic kid, but they permanently disqualified a guy with a 92 ASVAB score who had been to family counseling.

Hey, can't say I didn't try.

Yup, because to the military, family counseling = abuse, whether it's true or not.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

This is laughable and I'm not talking about the Army's acceptance of a kid with autism.

Ever been in the military yourself?

Unless Army ROTC counts (which it shouldn't), no. I am, however, a .mil brat with a father who did 29+ yrs in the Army as an officer. Most of my childhood was spent on base and overseas. Prior to going to college the plan was .mil, all the way.

Do you even realize the steps a recruit must go through before he or she can be accepted? Ever heard of MEPPS?

yes and yes. accepting an ROTC scholarship gave me a lil first hand experience, including the medical exams (yes, even the drop your shorts so i can feel your testicles exams). did you bother to RTFA? (that's read the fcuking article)? here, let me help you, in case reading isn't your strong suit:

Maj. Curt Steinagel, commander of the Military Entrance Processing Station in Portland, said the papers filled out by Jared's recruiters contained no indication of his disability. Steinagel acknowledged that the current climate is tough on recruiters.
Jared scored 43 out of 99 on the Army's basic entrance exam -- 31 is lowest grade the Army allows for enlistment, military officials said.

After learning Jared had cleared this first hurdle toward enlistment, Brenda said she called and asked for Ansley's supervisor and got Sgt. Alejandro Velasco.

She said she begged Velasco to review Jared's medical and school records. Brenda said Velasco declined, asserting that he didn't need any paperwork. Under military rules, recruiters are required to gather all available information about a recruit and fill out a medical screening form.

you're sitting there saying, "this is a non-issue, the process would've caught him and exposed the problem, long before he hit the battlefield" and i'm sitting here reading an article that says *exactly the opposite*. it says, quite clearly, that the recruiters were deliberately disguising the problem(s) to make sure the kid got through. and not only that, but when presented with evidence from the kid's mother, the recruiters declined to even *review the evidence* (i.e. medical history)

Do you honestly believe that our recruiters are the only trusted source of medical history concerning recruits?

Um no. That's probably what physicians are for. But do you think that the military would require the recruiter to 'gather all available information about a recruit' if it didn't care what the recruiter thought, or knew about a candidate? The recruiter, and the recruiter's info are part of the process, hell they start the damn thing - the same process you seem to think is infallible.

Don't you think that if the kid's autism is a problem, it will present itself during training? Think the kid's drill instructors will overlook the fact he can't complete the training curriculum if there is a problem?

Yeah that's a good way to handle it then, let the recruiters push anything they can through to meet quota, and let Basic Training and DI's sift through it all to find the autistic kids. Sounds like a plan, where do I sign up to participate? :S How about this, 'Don't you think the recruiters would've realized that a person who's sensitive to loud noises has no business carrying an automatic rifle?'

I think you are flying off the handle. Thanks for the laugh.

I think you didn't RTFA. I also think that your idea that, "the process will catch it" is flawed in it's very foundation - the recruiters start and influence the process. In this case it's quite clear that all the recruiters involved, including the leadership of the local recruitment office, were acting unethically and distorting the truth to get the kid into uniform. How's your process going to catch the problem when the people managing/controling/participating in the process aren't worth 2 shits?

I think recruiting someone with autism is a bad idea. The recruiter made a bad decision and recruited someone with a condition that specifically excludes them. The recruiter should be in lots of trouble. However, I'm not terribly worried about the kid, because any problems that will be major issues (sound sensitivity, communications difficulties) will likely be a major issue in basic training as well. Chances are, if he is not capable of being in the military, they'll find out in basic, if not before.

Pretty funny. They'll recruit (or try to) an autistic kid, but they permanently disqualified a guy with a 92 ASVAB score who had been to family counseling.

Hey, can't say I didn't try.

Yup, because to the military, family counseling = abuse, whether it's true or not.

I told them prior to the psychiatric consult that it was just me being depressed for a few weeks.

After the consult, i never heard from my recruiter.

Doesn't matter though, things worked out for the best. Although the psychiatrist died a month later. Me and him had a very pleasant talk.

If the recruiter didn't follow the procedures, let's hope he's dealt with, but all of your other points are wheel mud spinning. This kid isn't getting close to basic training.

So that aside, it really all does come down to the MEPPS.

the recruiters start and influence the process.

The recruiters have NO influence over the physicians at the MEPPS. They are held accountable for those put through, and they have a lot more at stake than a recruiter's quota. And it's there that the recruit him/herself has to fill out their own medical history brief. If the recruit tells the truth about his condition, then little chance the docs put him through, even if somehow they don't detect it themselves.

(edited, spelling)
Ohne Liebe sind wir nichts

So that aside, it really all does come down to the MEPPS.

First off it is MEPS, Military Entrance Processing Center.

Second, I spent the better part of the last 3 years as a recruiter (Navy) and I am here to tell you that once someone has it in thier mind (be it from direct contact or perhaps through an interested friend or commercials or video games or a million other reasons) that they are going to join then you would be amazed at what sorts of stuff that they will tell you to get in. That is right, I said that some kids want in badly enough to completely hide something like autisim.

Thirdly, I have seen enough ASVAB score sheets to tell you that if the kid scored a 43 he did alot better than some Jr college grads that I have tested. National average for the test is a 50. I can not begin to guess how many people I turned away for not being able to pass the test, 80% of those had a H.S. diploma. He is for sure not super low fuctioning like he is made out to be in the article.

Fourth, The doctors at the MEPS station's entire job in the world is to find out if people are disclosing everything, and they are damn good. Am I saying that the kid was not told what to say to the Dr.'s, hell no, those chances there are quite good I would guess if the recruiter knew. But the several doctors that interacted with the kid ALL COMPLETELY missed the fact that he was AUTISTIC? Come on now ...

I actually had a case somewhat like this, a chick came in and was actually very smart but she looked odd and spoke with a wierd slur. No matter how many times my partners and I asked she kept saying that she had no medical issues at all. Too our surprise she cleared physical and was given the stamp of approval by the docs. She ended up getting kicked out of bootcamp.

Fifth, as far as I know all services require a certified H.S. transcript to be submitted with each applicants "kit" that goes up for processing. Are you telling me that the education rep completely missed the fact that he was in all/mostly special ed classes? Something seems a bit fishy to me on that one. Those people's work is QA'ed by the high brass very often (read: they do not "let things slide").

That is another issue. Even if he went to bootcamp, would he pass? I would think bootcamp to be a reasonable representation (I am not in the Army but I would imagine) of thier service. Its task, to weed out those that do not belong.

Am I saying that the kid is a big fat lier, no. Am I saying that the recruiter was a slimey bastard, wouldnt buy that one either. I would guess somewhere in the middle, with a mom who is pissed and wants to stop her kid from going. Fine. If the kid didn't disclose everything to the recruiter then stop the witch hunt (seems all to common in the liberal media). BTW they lie more reguarly than you would think. If he did disclose it to his recruiter then by god, take the appropriate actions.

I understand one lie, or perhaps even two making it by all those QA people but if this kid is as low functioning as the article made him out to be, he did alot of interesting things (43 AFQT, fooled/lied to several doctors, special Ed transcripts, ect) for a "slow" kid.

Final thought then I am out, I promise. The article hints that he still wants to go despite all of this mess. That seems pretty motivated to me. Motivated ... to get out of the house? Motivated ... to try to not be that "autistic" kid the rest of his life? Motivated ... to get away from mom? Motivated enough to ... perhaps fail to disclose something like a barley noticeable case of autisim ... ?

Let the fire storm begin. B|

Have Rig will travel ...

Army recruiters are under a lot of pressure to meet their quotas. If they're desperate, they'll even enlist retarded people, knowing that they'll be medicalled out when they get to Basic. The recruit gets some adventure, the recruiter meets quota, everybody wins.

Yes, it's unethical, but it sometimes happens.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Having read the article, and having commanded an Army Recruiting Company, I feel I can comment with some authority...

First, you need to LTFU, or Lighten The Fuck Up... not everyone who sees things differently than you is stupid as you seem to insinuate with most of your posts.

Second, while this is an unfortunate situation, there is a system for dealing with it, and it appears the system is working... Jared will not ship out in August, the recruiter, and probably the recruiter’s station commander have been suspended pending the investigation, and presuming the investigation finds the allegations to be true, they will both be relieved and disciplined under the UCMJ. The system could have just as easily been put in to motion by calling the Company Commander, Battalion Commander, or MEPS commander.

Having done more than a handful of Recruiting Impropriety (RI) investigations, I can tell you that they are not taken lightly by the chain of command. Some RI's turn out to be real infractions by the recruiter, some RI's are just a kid who didn't listen or changed their mind and are just trying to back out, but all of them are investigated.

The article has plenty of inaccuracies and sensationalism too... schools have been compelled to provide phone numbers long before "no child left behind"... you can be arrested for failing to ship out. It’s hard to tell the entire timeline, but does not appear that this took very long to get looked at... it’s not like he was not he steps of the bus to basic...

Now a question for you... if you were a scholarship cadet in ROTC, why aren't you in?

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke