briguy

Legislating away parental responsibility - again

One state is proposing legislation to make myspace.com raise its mimimum age from 14 to 18.

info

this is a complete joke.

if any parent is concerned about their child's use of the internet in their own home, the first step a parent should take is to speak with their child.

if that fails, take steps to ensure that the child's internet use is structured or monitored. take the computer out of their room. block myspace.

enacting laws that are easily circumvented is a complete waste of time and effort.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Easy enough to put a lock on the computer or to take the DSL/cable modem with you to work. For dial-up, change the password and don't tell the kid what it is.

Of course, that involves the parent NOT letting the TV or computer raise their kid for them..... [:/]
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

does any of this really surprise you anymore?

Sure, when I was a kid there was not internet... (well, maybe a small one at Bell labs or something), but my parents where always asking where are you going, what are you doing, who are you with, when will you be back?

Sure, it sucked as a kid, but you know what? They were doing their Job. Something many parents today know nothing about.

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

the joke is in the scare reports that have been flooding us.

I couldn't find any nekkid little girls when I looked!

---
Read a more interesting article on MySpace from the NYT's business section, looking at how the now Fox owned MySpace will look to monetize the incredible number of monthly page views. On that count, they're #2 on the planet. For unique visitors, top 10.

One thing is for sure - they're not going to try to eliminate 50% of the views because some state thinks that they can help parents do their own job.

Sure, when I was a kid there was not internet... (well, maybe a small one at Bell labs or something), but my parents where always asking where are you going, what are you doing, who are you with, when will you be back?

Sure, it sucked as a kid, but you know what? They were doing their Job. Something many parents today know nothing about.

Ina way I agree with you, but there are other things that need to be considered. Mnay parents do not understand the internet, or it's many facets. It is growing and changing so fast, that those who do not almost daily involve themselves in the internet will quickly drown.

Second, in the old days I would tell my mother I would go play outside with Billy, Johnny and Matt. My motehr knew all those kids, cause they would come to the house to pick me up, or for a snack etc etc. If I were to wander off with a stranger, or spend alone time with a stranger, they would eventually let that slip, or tell a parent etc.

Those times have changed. Now a kid can tell mommy he is going to chat with those same friends, but they are really far more vulnerable, eventhough they are sitting in a locked house and the father has guns. When I met a new kid on the schoolyard, at least I really knew it was a kid, not a 400 lbs man who is jerking off while talking to me.

Many kids don't even realize how much information they throw out there about themselves and how easy they make it for predators to learn about them and find them.

I agree that parents in the end are responsible and I don't agree with much legislation in that area. But it really isn't as simple as equating it back to the good old days.