narcimund

Religiosity attributed to vitamin deficiency

A physician friend is in town for a medical conference focusing on nutrition and its effects on physical and mental health.

At dinner tonight she told us that a particular combination of vitamin deficiencies has been correlated with certain religious enthusiasms.

I'm sure it's premature to conclude that all religious faith is simply a mental disfunction caused by poor eating habits, but there's apparently some indication that it's a factor.

It's food for thought... literally.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

I'm sure it's premature to conclude that all religious faith is simply a mental disfunction caused by poor eating habits,<<<

Ofcourse, premature and speculative.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

I'm sure it's premature to conclude that all religious faith is simply a mental disfunction caused by poor eating habits

As I'm sure it was premature to classify homosexuality as a disease.:P
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Any data or reference on this?

'fraid not. Like I said, we were just having dinner with our doctor friend immediately after her conference session. I asked her to send us references if she runs across anything published.

This is fresh news, I think. At least that's how she represented it to us over dinner.

correlated with certain religious enthusiasms.

What is meant by "certain" enthusiasms?

I think you might be quite offended and upset - and I think not at all interested in the possibility to understand more about human physiology/chemistry if someone posted the following:

At dinner tonight she told us that a particular combination of vitamin deficiencies has been correlated with certain homosexual tendencies.

I'm sure it's premature to conclude that all homosexual tendencies are simply a mental disfunction caused by poor eating habits, but there's apparently some indication that it's a factor.

The only thing that is apparent is that you know a doctor that told you a story, and you seem eager to believe it, with absolutely nothing to back it up, not even a reference to an article in a medical journal or minutes from the proceedings of a conference. I don't doubt that someone at a conference made some presentation of some research, but I don't think that is enough to conclude that apparently it is a factor. Plenty of research is bogus for many reasons. One should be skeptical with research that has such huge potential to be politically motivated.

Huge opportunity to show intolerance, I think.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I think you might be quite offended and upset - and I think not at all interested in the possibility to understand more about human physiology/chemistry if someone posted the following:

At dinner tonight she told us that a particular combination of vitamin deficiencies has been correlated with certain homosexual tendencies.

I'm sure it's premature to conclude that all homosexual tendencies are simply a mental disfunction caused by poor eating habits, but there's apparently some indication that it's a factor.

The only thing that is apparent is that you know a doctor that told you a story, and you seem eager to believe it, with absolutely nothing to back it up, not even a reference to an article in a medical journal or minutes from the proceedings of a conference. I don't doubt that someone at a conference made some presentation of some research, but I don't think that is enough to conclude that apparently it is a factor. Plenty of research is bogus for many reasons. One should be skeptical with research that has such huge potential to be politically motivated.

Bing!

Well said.

What you discount is that I hear that exact theory -- from people like you -- ALL THE TIME.

Perhaps you didn't realize that I was EXTREMELY aware of the parallel.

Perhaps you didn't realize that I was eager to see how indignant you and your type got.

However, the story I told is completely true.

What you discount is that I hear that exact theory -- from people like you -- ALL THE TIME.

You didn't hear it from me, and if you do hear it, it deserves to be rejected, right? So, people 'like me' advance theories similar to what you now advance, but people 'like me' are implied to be bigots, I suppose, but not you?

Correct, I didn't realize you were aware of the parallel, how could I when you give no indication of it?

Perhaps you didn't realize that I was eager to see how indignant you and your type got.

Correct, I didn't realize you were trolling.

Perhaps you didn't notice that I admitted that I believe what you said happened did indeed happen. That is very different than being eager to believe it based on such slim evidence.

What kind of a group sponsors research to find the 'reason' why people are religious within vitamin deficiencies? This kind of conclusion doesn't just 'pop-up' during the course of research to find the best vitamins to help those with cancer. I think a group that has an agenda against those that are religious is the kind of group that would seek to find such a correlation, and if you look hard enough, correlations can be found/made/created.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

correlated with certain religious enthusiasms.

What is meant by "certain" enthusiasms?

Huge opportunity to show intolerance, I think.

Sounds like he has faith in what this doctor told him... not too much diffrent than listening to a preacher :)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

OK, so....Who is correct, or are they both correct in your opinion, or both wrong? Or are you just wanting the one that supports you to be correct?

If you are willing to support that religion can be "a mental disfunction caused by poor eating habits". Are you willing to say the same about homosexuality, being a Republican/Democrat, prefering blonds over brunettes...ect, or support how some have the right to think that way?

No one doubts that a Dr. said that to you at dinner. However, a person should take the whole picture into account. A gay couple that left the USA to be married having a dinner party with a Dr. there.

Do you think that a pastor having a dinner party might have a Dr. that could say things about homosexuality being a "mental disfunction"?

Thats funny. You posted something to try and get a response that you WANTED to be negative. Ever wonder why people do not take you seriously?

You wear being gay like a badge of courage. Your sig line is you trying to make a martyr of yourself. You would get MUCH more mileage for your cause by not trying to start shit and not trying to shove being gay into the center of everything.

Its like the guy with 100 jumps. All he talks about is skydiving, and all his conversations have to involve skydiving. People get tired of it.

If you are gay and want to and be treated like just anyone else....Try acting like just anyone else and not making everything about you being gay.

A gay couple that left the USA to be married...

While I find it fascinating when people proclaim their highly confident theories about our lives, you can be sure you have no clue unless you've actually asked us.

Have you? Since I have no idea who you are, I doubt it.

When you talk in the familiar mode about my personal personal life it reveals a lot about you and nothing about me.

While I find it fascinating when people proclaim their highly confident theories about our lives, you can be sure you have no clue unless you've actually asked us.

No need to ask you...You have posted it on here over, and over, and over, and over. Just look at your sig line.

When you talk in the familiar mode about my personal personal life it reveals a lot about you and nothing about me.

Yeah, it says that I can see right through your BS. And your only defense is to throw some self help jargon back. Thats called a red herring. I see you answered NONE of the questions asked. Which just goes to show you are not interested in discussing anything, just trying to bitch. Nothing wrong with just bitching, but admit it.

You were pissed that you could not get what you wanted here, and you left. Good for you. However, you would have gained respect by standing and fighting for what you wanted, not running away. I don't blame you for leaving, and I don't think anything less of you for it. A good number of good people don't stand and fight for what they want and run. But to then just bitch about how badly they were treated gets old. Kinda like the sour grapes story.

Also the whole trying to be a martyr thing is stupid. Everyone sees right through it.

And just like the kid with 100 jumps who must turn every conversation into skydiving, your crying gets old.

You moved, great. Now be happy with the life you built and quit throwing pitty parties in your own honor.

Care to answer the questions I asked..Or would you just rather buy supplies for your next guilt trip?

[/url]http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/324/7342/886?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=Selling+Sickness&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1133300613623_21776&stored_search=&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=1[url]
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

No need to ask you...You have posted it on here over, and over, and over, and over. Just look at your sig line.

I've never posted anything even remotely what you're accusing me of saying (and doing). Your fantasy is telling.

Care to answer the questions I asked..

You're the one who brought up the non sequitur of homosexuality and oppression, not me. So no, I'm not going to follow your red herring. Sorry. The topic of this thread is religiousity and vitamin deficiency.

I've never posted anything even remotely what you're accusing me of saying (and doing). Your fantasy is telling.

I remember you saying that you moved across the border because of what you couldn't have on the other side. Of course I'm paraphrasing and haven't searched for it, but I do remember you saying it. Am I wrong? If it is being mischaracterized, please clarify your reasons.

I remember you saying that you moved across the border because of what you couldn't have on the other side. Of course I'm paraphrasing and haven't searched for it, but I do remember you saying it. Am I wrong? If it is being mischaracterized, please clarify your reasons.

Lots of people remember lots of things that never happened. And I won't participate in this hijacking of a perfectly good thread any more.

All you need to do is look at your own sig line. I speaks volumes.

Also check this post of yours http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1711035#1711035

Then Jimbo asks this :http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1755463#1755463

So are you going to pack up and move north? Perhaps there you could be a First class citizen.

And now your sig line reads "First Class Immigrant"

Very interesting huh?

You're the one who brought up the non sequitur of homosexuality and oppression, not me. So no, I'm not going to follow your red herring. Sorry. The topic of this thread is religiousity and vitamin deficiency.

Ill repost my questions so you can ignore them again.

1. OK, so....Who is correct, or are they both correct in your opinion, or both wrong?

2. Or are you just wanting the one that supports you to be correct?

3. If you are willing to support that religion can be "a mental disfunction caused by poor eating habits". Are you willing to say the same about homosexuality, being a Republican/Democrat, prefering blonds over brunettes.

4. Will you support how some have the right to think that way if it does not agree with your views?

5. Do you think that a pastor having a dinner party might have a Dr. that could say things about homosexuality being a "mental disfunction"?

So you can't quit claiming I never asked any questions that were related.

How about you just answer #3? It is very related. If religion can be a "mental disfunction"...How many other things do you think could be, and do you think Homosexuality could be one?

Lots of people remember lots of things that never happened. And I won't participate in this hijacking of a perfectly good thread any more.

Thats because you are busted and rather than admit it you just will take you ball and go home.

Funny:D

Well that it! I'm gonna go buy a bottle of Flinstone vitamins, cause I don't want to worship a false god or be gay.;)
Thanks

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

Aw come on DaVinci, everyone knows that a couple guys cornholing one another is normal and those that believe in a creator are just plain nuts! <<<

HE HE!, I like how they try to cover it up with the action of a dinner party. Sure it was dinner, and I also sure there were no gerbals injured at this party.:)

This is probably one of the less orignial derailings of a subject I've seen on dz.com.

To follow in this spirit:

everyone knows that a couple (man and woman) cornholing one another is normal and those that believe in a creator are just plain nuts"..

To be blunt; an asshole is an asshole, no matter what the gender the person it belongs to is.

Having said that, there is a whole lot more evidence that lack of vitamins do weird things to the human physiology and mind than there towards Nirfur, God Of All Things Yellow And Furry And He Who Decides What Is Yellow And Furry exists.

But that's beside the point coz, like, cornholers are like not really humans and stuff and that's a really good point against everything.

Having said that, there is a whole lot more evidence that lack of vitamins do weird things to the human physiology and mind than there towards Nirfur, God Of All Things Yellow And Furry And He Who Decides What Is Yellow And Furry exists.

OK and I agree that lack of vitamins could attribute to many disorders.

My question was that if religion is one of those disorders....What else could be?

And if those that wish to grab onto this tidbit and wave it as proof that religion is wrong. Are they also willing to admit that maybe some of the choices they have made could be "simply a mental disfunction caused by poor eating habits"?

But that's beside the point coz, like, cornholers are like not really humans and stuff and that's a really good point against everything.

I think that a person being gay just makes them a person who is gay. They are not wrong, nor right basied on that alone.

However, I find it funny when anyone is willing to claim something, but not answer questions of the same ilk that may effect them

>And if those that wish to grab onto this tidbit and wave it as proof
> that religion is wrong. Are they also willing to admit that maybe
> some of the choices they have made could be "simply a mental
> disfunction caused by poor eating habits"?

That statement might be congruent with a belief that religious fervor is a mental dysfunction as well. I don't think either is true. There is nothing wrong with a man who loves God; neither is there anything wrong with a man who loves other men. (Of course, there are both religious and gay men who are screwed up for completely different reasons.)