sfc

Bush takes a step in the right direction

Bush has done something that the bleeding heart leftists have been crying out for ages and increased the mgp requirements for SUVs and trucks.

I was genuinely suprised by this and very pleased.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/03/29/fuel_economy.reut/index.html

A stopped clock is right twice a day.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

sound be great for people who want to buy a simple 2wd pickup truck - they'll be trying to sell them by the trainload to offset the exxon valdez sized ones.

some progress is better than others, but given the seriousness of this ongoing war, I'd be happier to see a much more severe push - 30+.

I don't think anyone claims this is going to be an instant fix for our energy problem, but the thread title says it all, it's a step in the right direction.

Now let's hope this administration and those that follow keep walking.

>they'll be trying to sell them by the trainload to offset the exxon
>valdez sized ones.

Just give away a free Geo Metro with every Expedition purchase. Save the Expedition for climbing the local mountain, or taking all 17 of the Little Leaguers to the game, and use the Metro for commuting and shopping.

Bush has done something that the bleeding heart leftists have been crying out for ages and increased the mgp requirements for SUVs and trucks.

I think you can give up the pretense and just say "Nothing that Bush does is ever going to be right in my opinion."

You bitched and moaned in the last thread about Bush not raising the numbers...now he does and you still bitch.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I think you can give up the pretense and just say "Nothing that Bush does is ever going to be right in my opinion."

You bitched and moaned in the last thread about Bush not raising the numbers...now he does and you still bitch.

I just wrote that he is right on this - what is your complaint? He's just not correct as often as a stopped clock, which manages it twice a day.

I just wrote that he is right on this - what is your complaint? He's just not correct as often as a stopped clock, which manages it twice a day.

Ok... I guess the next post will be that he doesn't beat his wife anymore, then? That's the same type of content as your prior post, after all.

Damning by faint praise != acknowledgement that he did something right.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Ok... I guess the next post will be that he doesn't beat his wife anymore, then? That's the same type of content as your prior post, after all.

I don't know about that, but I'm told he doesn't drive drunk any more and doesn't snort coke any more, so that's an improvement.

Bush in the right direction? Only he stumbles :-D

So sorry, but US americans are often so naive.

Ok perhaps that's the first thing your dictatureship (government) did against energy problem, but it's far away from calling it a right direction.

Don't try to convice me that your government is a democracy, or that you'v got a good social system or something similar. I'm from switzerland, and damn you have no idea of what's democracy and freedom means...

(that was off topic, I'm sorry, I get emotional about (against) the USA all the time)

Don't worry! We'll just elect a new "dictature" in 2008.

Ok, if you tell me that Bush won the election fair... That will make it pretty hard for me to talk to any US american without a big grin.

Oh and I think you realy should take a look on other countrys how to do ellections...

>sound be great for people who want to buy a simple 2wd pickup truck . . .

Yes, that's one of the good things about CAFE increases. The smaller, most efficient cars get cheaper, which a) makes them more affordable to low income people and b) gets more efficient cars on the road.

>sound be great for people who want to buy a simple 2wd pickup truck . . .

Yes, that's one of the good things about CAFE increases. The smaller, most efficient cars get cheaper, which a) makes them more affordable to low income people and b) gets more efficient cars on the road.

and also gives govt. a new way to tax cars based on miles driven.

-

>and also gives govt. a new way to tax cars based on miles driven.

Not a new way. They could have done that at any time.

Already do it in Illinois (and many other states). It's called a toll-road.

Ha, Bush never gets it right that often, I think a better analogy would be a calendar stuck on feb 29th.

Seriously though it was a good thing increasing the limits, I think the energy crisis has reached proportions so that even the most knuckle headed right wingers see that there is a problem.
I just hope this desire to fix the problem is not a once off wonder.

Of course, the Dept of Trans needs to actually have a realistic way to test vehicles' mpg. The way they do it now, it's practically done in a void. Automakers Toyota and Honda have refused for years to post the EPA mpg readings for their own vehicles because they were so innaccurate to what would be "practical" world use. :S
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Yes, and this undo's the 4 trillion $ increase in the debt, the mass damage he's done to the ecology via lower air standards during the 1st 5 years, damage to medicare via privatization, and whole plethera of other goodies I don't care to list....

>Yes, and this undo's the 4 trillion $ increase in the debt, the mass
> damage he's done to the ecology via lower air standards during the 1st 5
>years, damage to medicare via privatization, and whole plethera of other
>goodies I don't care to list....

Nope. Still a good thing, though. (And in terms of the environment, he did sign the diesel emissions reduction bill, one of the more important pieces of environmental regulation in the past decade.)

Yes, and this undo's the 4 trillion $ increase in the debt, the mass damage he's done to the ecology via lower air standards during the 1st 5 years, damage to medicare via privatization, and whole plethera of other goodies I don't care to list....

Care to enlighten the rest of us as to this "lower air standards bill" that he supposedly signed? I'd like to see the text of it.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Care to enlighten the rest of us as to this "lower air standards bill"

The "clear skies" act allowed power plants to not correct their emissions violations when they upgrade their equipment. This is the "new source review" issue that's been going on forever (or at least since the 1970's) The Clear Skies act allowed most power plants to keep operating at high emissions levels that were in violation of the 1970's Clean Air act.

The "Clear Skies" act will result in lower emissions than if you just got rid of the New Source Rewiew completely, but will result in dirtier air than if you just enforced the Clean Air act.

Googling the "Clear Skies Act" took me to information from the EPA that says it would result in 70% reductions in sulfur oxides, nitrogen oxides and mercury - how is that "operating at high emissions levels" if there's a 70% reduction?

Since the new source review has been around as long as the Clean Air Act, responsibility would fall equally on all the prior administrations for not gutting that language...but that would ruin a perfectly good Bush-bash for Lucky, wouldn't it?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706