billvon

Here's a solution

Many GOPers here keep asking "so what's the solution to the problems in Iraq?" (At least, the GOPers who actually admit that Iraq is a problem.) Here's one - replace Rumsfeld. More than any other single person in Washington, he's the one responsible for alienating our allies, condoning the environment that allowed torture to take place in US prisons, and disregarding the advice of our own military leaders. He failed to sufficiently arm and protect US troops early on in the war and has consistently ignored or delayed requests for more troops, armor and support.

Rumsfeld has offered to resign in the past. Perhaps we should take him up on it. I don't know how many more of his mistakes we should pay for with US lives.

Many GOPers here keep asking "so what's the solution to the problems in Iraq?" (At least, the GOPers who actually admit that Iraq is a problem.) Here's one - replace Rumsfeld. More than any other single person in Washington, he's the one responsible for alienating our allies, condoning the environment that allowed torture to take place in US prisons, and disregarding the advice of our own military leaders. He failed to sufficiently arm and protect US troops early on in the war and has consistently ignored or delayed requests for more troops, armor and support.

Rumsfeld has offered to resign in the past. Perhaps we should take him up on it. I don't know how many more of his mistakes we should pay for with US lives.

I'll go along with that no problem.

so what's the solution to the problems in Iraq?" (At least, the GOPers who actually admit that Iraq is a problem.) Here's one - replace Rumsfeld.

Bill, have you been watching FoxNews?

I think that maybe it was Charles Krauthammer (sp?) that suggested that on Brit Hume's show?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Bill,
Your assertion is supported by this op-ed by the Major General responsible for training Iraqi troops June 2003-2004.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/19/opinion/19eaton.html?_r=2&n=Top%2fOpinion%2fEditorials%20and%20Op%2dEd%2fOp%2dEd%2fContributors&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Maj Gen Paul D. Eaton: "In sum, he has shown himself incompetent strategically, operationally and tactically, and is far more than anyone else responsible for what has happened to our important mission in Iraq. Mr. Rumsfeld must step down."

"Mr. Rumsfeld has put the Pentagon at the mercy of his ego, his cold warrior's view of the world and his unrealistic confidence in technology to replace manpower. As a result, the Army finds itself severely undermanned — cut to 10 active divisions but asked by the administration to support a foreign policy that requires at least 12 or 14."

... of broader scope:
"First, President Bush should accept the offer to resign that Mr. Rumsfeld says he has tendered more than once, and hire a man who will listen to and support the magnificent soldiers on the ground. Perhaps a proven Democrat like Senator Joseph Lieberman could repair fissures that have arisen both between parties and between uniformed men and the Pentagon big shots.

More vital in the longer term, Congress must assert itself. Too much power has shifted to the executive branch, not just in terms of waging war but also in planning the military of the future. Congress should remember it still has the power of the purse; it should call our generals, colonels, captains and sergeants to testify frequently, so that their opinions and needs are known to the men they lead. Then when they are asked if they have enough troops — and no soldier has ever had enough of anything, more is always better — the reply is public. "

About Gen Eaton:

http://www.defendamerica.mil/articles/jun2004/a061404e.html

>More vital in the longer term, Congress must assert itself. Too much
>power has shifted to the executive branch, not just in terms of waging
>war but also in planning the military of the future.

This is a VERY good point. From a rather important document:

----------------------------------------
Section 8 - Powers of Congress

The Congress shall have Power . .

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

To provide and maintain a Navy;

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;
--------------------------------------------

We seem to have forgotten that part of the constitution in our desire to have a king instead of a president.

That will never happen. Rumsfeld is the President.

Cheney isn't strong enough to pull the puppet strings all by himself.

I thought Cheney was the Puppetmaster. Now you say it's Rumsfeld. Please make up your mind who the real Puppetmaster is. Maybe it's neither. Maybe it's Carl Rove. I'm getting confused. :S:D

I thought Cheney was the Puppetmaster. Now you say it's Rumsfeld. Please make up your mind who the real Puppetmaster is. Maybe it's neither. Maybe it's Carl Rove. I'm getting confused. :S:D

Why not just ask directly. Dick Cheney posts here under the screen name "rushmc".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Why not just ask directly. Dick Cheney posts here under the screen name "rushmc".

I thought I was Dick Cheney. Oh, thats right, I'm Karl Rove.

-

I thought Cheney was the Puppetmaster. Now you say it's Rumsfeld. Please make up your mind who the real Puppetmaster is. Maybe it's neither. Maybe it's Carl Rove. I'm getting confused.

it was pretty clear from my post that they both are...you are confused :)

I thought Cheney was the Puppetmaster. Now you say it's Rumsfeld. Please make up your mind who the real Puppetmaster is. Maybe it's neither. Maybe it's Carl Rove. I'm getting confused.

it was pretty clear from my post that they both are...you are confused :)

I must be. i thought Cheney was really the President and Carl Rove was pulling the strings. Wait I get it, Cheney pulls Bush's strings Rumsfeld pulls Cheneys and Rove pulls Rumsfelds and Haliburton pulls Cheneys strings.

Here's one - replace Rumsfeld

Not going to happen.... Scummy wont allow it and Dummy thinks he is doing a good job... then again every job he has ever had he drove into the ground... and got bailed out by dadies friends.. bet they dont bail him out of this.