rwieder

RE: Damned Greedy Oil Companies

I've been in the petroleum industry all of my adult life. I grow weary of constant complaining about oil prices. When will the world wake up and realize that everything you touch is related in one way or another to petroleum, or petroleum based products? When oil prices are up, EVERYBODY works, when oil prices are down unemployment rises rapidly. Believe it or not, i am in favor of alternative fuels. ;)

By the way, the poll offers multiple answers.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

-My job uses products remotely connected with oil. (We build IC's that are used in phones; the plastics and board resins used on those phones are petroleum based.)

-I am sad that oil is the backbone of many industries, because it means they may fail when it become scarce.

-I hope no oil company goes bankrupt - that, like BP, they will be smart enough to realize they have to switch to other sources of power before oil becomes unaffordable.

Yup! Like... Nylon. I worked for an 'oilfield related' fuel and oil distributor, for 17-yrs. Mostly, tending to drilling rigs. I have always said "those hands, don't get paid enough." I do, have complaints with the 'big' oil producers though, who so obviously capitalized off hurricane Katrina. Now, fuel prices are up, again because, the gasoline producers are feeling a 'possible' shortage, due to the fact they are switching over from winter blend gasoline to summer blend. I guess, I just don't understand but, I think, the gasoline producers are feeding us a line of shit because they know they've 'got' us. In that, Americans are going to have their cars, pick-ups and Hummers. Any way you look at it, the gasoline and oil producers are going to their way.
Willie, just might be onto something.

Chuck

computer programmers? Seems to me products they use (i.e. computers) were made from machines that in some way utilize petroleum. If they're using a Dell, Compaq, etc...I'm sure those company's factories use petroleum related power for the factory itself, machines, etc.

>Seems to me products they use (i.e. computers) were made from
>machines that in some way utilize petroleum.

Of course. But by such an extended argument, you use organic food. I'm sure someone who once provided you a service ate it. I don't know if you'd call yourself an organic food user for that reason alone, though.

Programmers generate code. The computers they use often contain plastics, but you can build a computer quite easily without them. And the lack of said plastics won't change the end product.

OTOH, pilots use petroleum fuel; they can't do their jobs without it. Plastics manufacturers, truck drivers, gas station attendants etc same thing. They would be out of a job (or at least their jobs would be quite different) if oil disappeared.

OTOH, pilots use petroleum fuel

Oh yeah! Yep, this hawg gets 70 mpg...wait a minute...uhhh, no, we don't need large amounts of fuel, what the hell are you talking about?;)

but you can build a computer quite easily without them

How many computers are built w/o plastics? I don't think I've seen one in my life.

How many computers are built w/o plastics? I don't think I've seen one in my life.

Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine didn't have any plastic in the design. In fact, plastic wasn't invented back then.;)

Here's some reading for you... History of the Computer
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™