Tink1717

Ladies, how do you feel about this?

>When talking about "this will prevent babies and STDs" NOTHING is
> 100% except to abstain. There is nothing wrong with a parent,
> church or the school informing people of that and pushing for
> waiting until physically ready as well as being ready in the mental
> aspects of a sexual relationship.

Of course. And if you are really, really careful, you will never need a smoke alarm in your house. Indeed, 'not setting the house on fire' is the only 100% way to make sure you are not killed by a house fire, and there is nothing wrong with teaching your kids that they must never, ever play with fire, or bring gasoline into the house, or pile papers on the radiator etc.

But smart people still install smoke alarms - because shit happens. Houses burn down even when you are super careful. And history has shown that the children of even the best parents in the world can get pregnant, even when they are trying to abstain. I remember being 17; my brain did not always have 100% control of what the rest of me was doing.

>our biggest concern as parents and educators should be that
>LIFE is shortened when making bad choices.

Right. And not knowing about how condoms can help prevent STD's is one of those bad choices.

I agree, I think my posts are to long sometimes and dont show I agree. I just think to focus on "abstaining to prevent babies" is not the way to help encourage protection use OR abstaining. The education isnt wrong to do, but it is wrong how it is done. Its started to early, it focuses on avoiding babies, and its not done in correlation to the childs perticular needs depending on their age. This is about a parents role and should not be something the schools take under their wing on their time frames.

Right. And not knowing about how condoms can help prevent STD's is one of those bad choices.

Girls are also taught about the birth control pill. The pill does not nor will it EVER take away the risk of an STD. It should NEVER be pushed as a means of protection for a kid. EVER. Birth control pills will NEVER save a kids life if they sleep with someone with Aids. Also many girls are not informed of how EASY it is for the pills to fail. I personally dont believe in birth control products so the pill was not used as such, but how many girls know at age 15 that the pill is often not effective if on antibiotics? I never heard that until recently and Im approaching 30, I see a OBGYN every month and have for years and I was on the pill for medical reasons and I had NEVER heard that. How many girls are taught that smoking while on the pill can up their chances of female organ specfic cancers? How many girls think the pill will stop them from getting pregnant? Doctors do not usually inform girls of this because in the little package of the pills is this really thin, long, small print piece of paper that in one sentence says the above information. Birth Control pills should NEVER be promoted as a means of protection because they ARE NOT a means of protection. That being said, condoms and the proper way to don one is awesome to learn and definatley should be pushed if a child can not wait to have sex.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

I think it's important for schools to teach children what there is objective evidence to support.... When it comes to reproductive health, I think it's fine for schools to teach about birth control pills, and that they do NOT protect them from STDs. If teenagers are knowledgeable, then they can at least make informed decisions and not be left to guess.

Combine good knowledge with a firm foundation from home, and kids may be equipped for choosing well when it comes to making difficult decisions.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

The schools have no business teaching kids sex ed>:(.
Leave that up to the parents!

You don't think that schools should teach the biological part of sex... things like reproduction, and how diseases are spread? Stuff that most parents are not going to have the expertise to teach?

NO, I don't think they do. These are the same schools that want to teach kids evolution, the same schools that brainwash kids:S. I think parents should be well informed enough to teach their kids about sex. ( flame away!)

I don't want my kids to be surrounded and taught from a purely biased point of view.

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

I think parents should be well informed enough to teach their kids about sex. ( flame away!)

Yes, they should be, but they're not.

What if that's how the kids got there in the first place - because their parents didn't know how to avoid conception?

Who's going to teach the parents?

And why shouldn't children be exposed to ALL theories and facts possible? Shouldn't they be given a chance to reject evolution on their own? Otherwise, isn't that brainwashing? Only offering 1 option to 'choose' from?

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Also, I never got an answer to a previous post: by fighting abortion from a theological perspective, aren't you really defending the mother's soul, not the baby's?

Not that either distinction would make abortion OK, but it seems like the arguments center around the child's welfare.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

First, I love you Sarah, I think you have really valid points often and respect your opinions and the input you add to the discussions on here. However I have some disagreements in a few things that I would like to ad.

These are the same schools that want to teach kids evolution

I personally do not agree with the teaching of evolution and have always made sure my children know "adaptation" and God. I also think that if a child is not exposed to evolution it will limit them on the knowledge they will need if they do not go to a Christian college.

I think parents should be well informed enough to teach their kids about sex

As you know, since you are learning the role you may play one day as a step parent, kids do not come with a handbook. Not all parents are educated enough to even name all the reproductive organs, more less know when the right time is to expose their kids to the knowledge of how babies come into play. There are some things that the schools can do better, granted if I had a choice I would homeschool because personally I think our public school systems suck. However that is not an option so I, like many other parents do what we can with what we have. Not all parents are active in the childs education. For instence, my children were taught by me that Christopher Columbus did NOT discover america, he just helped put the word out that it was here. That information bleed into his school discussions, I got a nice nasty note, but my kids still dont think CC discovered america. I do not teach my kids about Santa, yet the school had one hand out candy canes, but the Santa myth didnt bleed into my home. Not all parents know what to teach their kids and its better for the masses that this info is taught because it helps the avg person adapt to society.

I don't want my kids to be surrounded and taught from a purely biased point of view.

From what I understand parents are still given the right to refuse their child sex education. I for one will do so until I feel they are ready for me to not be involved in that form of education. Once a child has his basic platform from those he trusts, it doesnt matter what others try to teach.

There is only so much a parent of a teenager can do to stop their child from having sex. As a parent it SHOULD be our job, but sadly not all parents think that way.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

I am not sure yet what you mean by your question about abortion.

And oh! Who is going to teach the kids if the parents don't? I'll let you know when I figure it out;). Seriously though, I think every parent should teach their kids about sex, and they should be open about it. I know for a fact that some parents aren't comfortable discussing sexuality with their kids...which I don't understand ( but then again I am not a parent yet, so I can't judge).

edited to add after reading LM's post: I highly disagree with schools strictly teaching evolution. Now, to teach evolution, creationism, etc, that's fine; but to sit there and tell my kids that they evolved ( and by doing so push beliefs on them) is wrong in my opinion.
Nice post, Marie:P. I agree with a lot you said:)

And oh! Who is going to teach the kids if the parents don't? I'll let you know when I figure it out. Seriously though, I think every parent should teach their kids about sex, and they should be open about it. I know for a fact that some parents aren't comfortable discussing sexuality with their kids...which I don't understand ( but then again I am not a parent yet, so I can't judge).

SHEESH.. they need to drag a WHOLE bunch of parents who are seually illiterate into school and teach them.. then PERHAPS.. they MIGHT be able to teach theri children.

Instead its thought of as a dirty subject... something to be ashamed of.. and we perpetuate the stupidity thru the generations.

Who is going to teach the kids if the parents don't?

NO, who is going to teach the parents to teach their kids? Just because you're old enough to have a baby doesn't mean you necessarily know what a fallopian tube does. :|

Instead its thought of as a dirty subject... something to be ashamed of.. and we perpetuate the stupidity thru the generations.

Which is dumb:S. Whose idea was it that sex is dirty? :o:|

Rebecca, I guess I made a mistake in my idea of sex education. I don't care if the schools teach about anatomy; I am strictly speaking of abstinence vs. "safe sex." I believe that is up to the parent to teach their kids what they want ( according to their beliefs) about sex. I don't know what exactly I will teach my kids regarding sexuality; however, to say that teaching abstinence is dumb because kids will do what they want is wrong.

Which is dumb:S. Whose idea was it that sex is dirty? :o:|

Rebecca, I guess I made a mistake in my idea of sex education. I don't care if the schools teach about anatomy; I am strictly speaking of abstinence vs. "safe sex."

So, schools should teach about how it works and then say, "Just don't do it"? The teen pregnancy rate is NOT due to too much condom use...

I don't know the answers either, but less education from our schools isn't it.

The bottom line is, no matter what you teach kids, they still have a choice how they live their life. As a parent, I will guide them into what I believe is right and moral, but I can't stop them from what they want to do.

which is exactly the reason that they should be educated about things that even parents think, for religious reasons, that they shouldn't know. The more knowledgeable kids are the more likely they'll be to be capable of making good decisions.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

The bottom line is, no matter what you teach kids, they still have a choice how they live their life. As a parent, I will guide them into what I believe is right and moral, but I can't stop them from what they want to do.

No, you can't stop them, but if you don't want them to want what's bad for them, they have to know how to recognize it.

Okay, I read it, but I am still unsure what point you're trying to make.
First off, my belief is that yes, the wages of sin is death...( what the Bible says); however, it is not due to our sins that block us from heaven, (because of Jesus' sacrificial death on the cross); it is our rejecting of God and not caring that Jesus paved a way for us by shedding his blood for our sins.

A mother can do whatever she wants to the life inside her, be that carry the baby to term, or abort it; regardless, she can still love God and be loved by Him ( and she IS loved by God).

I happen to personally know a few Christian women who have had abortions; I don't think they were Christian at the time, and they feel incredibly guilty for what they did...but they believe in heaven they will meet their child.:)
***Though I believe abortion is wrong, I am not going to judge a woman because of it. I might not agree with the woman, but I would still love her.

'K, so what's the problem with abortion?

Mom can have one and still go to heaven.
Baby takes the express without all the icky life stuff to wade through.

Who's being harmed, ultimately?

oops, walked right into that one. :)
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

oops, walked right into that one. :)

Just playing Devil's advocate, poking around, hoping for a good answer... ;)