peacefuljeffrey

Why is there a need for a "gay day" for skydiving? Or any other kind of "day"?

The title of this thread is all wrong... is there a NEED for a Gay Boogie? No, just as there is no need for any other boogie. There are very few real needs.

There is a WANT for a Gay Boogie and that is all that matters.

Hey, that's the best answer yet!

All the more reason why gay people don't actually need to "bring out the gay" to the DZ to make sure they are accepted. As you say, they are evidently quite well accepted.

While this may be one of the many reasons, and some of the people are attracted to this, this shouldn't be focussed on as a primary reason.

One needs to understand the group mentality, the desire to party with like-minded people, whether it be a a girl's group, or a trekkie convention, or the Woodstock event, being part of a skiing club, or enjoying a black entertainment event.

Just like the curious non-trekkies at the Trekkie convention, or the white guys enjoying a black concert, there are straight guys coming to the boogie too, who like the atmosphere around gay people, even if they are not into the sex side of things. Everyone is invited, as we say, if it interests you;

For many, it does provide a more welcoming atmosphere. For some (especially single guys), obviously, easier to stare and flirt in a gay targeted event. Much like it's more comfortable for straights to flirt at a dance club than at mass in the church. At a dance club if someone flirts accidentally with part of a married couple dancing, will just often yield polite thanks but no thanks and the married couple keeps dancing and enjoy the atmosphere, because in a dance club it is expected a little flirting goes on anyway. But if done in a church instead, it is perceived as a great insult. The occasional open-minded straight friends who enter a gay bar with their gay friends, often find it a kick that they are being flirted at even if they are not turned on by men. And just like many girls often like to look for female friends, skiiers may meet new skiier friends at a ski club, gay skydivers are sometimes also looking for other gay skydiver friends too and a boogie like this provides an advantage.

One can keep going on with so many examples -- there are dozens of gay skydivers that want to know other gay skydivers (and in fact, a few of them could care less about being accepted by straights!). Everyone has a different primary reason or set of reasons they want to go to a Rainbow Boogie;

Additionally, it is easier for single people to "sociallize" with others too as well -- some of you know how gay men can be, for example. No doubt, it is often easier for a guy to meet a new boyfriend at at a gay event.

There are many reasons why a Rainbow Boogie is such a good (not just the ones being talked about in this thread, and reasons I haven't even thought of). For some, it's a specific reason, for others it's another reason, and for yet others, a combination of reasons, etc.

The attraction of a group mentality is a very powerful thing, whether it's a topic, a nationality, a gender, an interest, an inclination, etc. Even if we only want to hang out with such a group once in a while.

A very good answer. We don't necessarily NEED Rainbow Boogie, but there's already a proven huge demand (WANT) for a Rainbow Boogie.

A very good answer. We don't necessarily NEED Rainbow Boogie, but there's already a proven huge demand (WANT) for a Rainbow Boogie.

Mark, you have explained your position very clearly and very eloquently. I don't think you need to continue justifying yourself or the boogie for the sake of one or two biased opinions.

Good luck with your venture!

..................Mark, you have explained your position very clearly and very eloquently. I don't think you need to continue justifying yourself or the boogie for the sake of one or two biased opinions........

Now come on, this horse was dead about 400 posts ago but isn't it mildly entertaining to watch everyone walk up and kick it anyway:P:P:P at least something good comes from it, free publicity.

This thread was righteously hijacked a few days ago. I really want to protest its deviation back to boogie-bashing. We need MORE boogies, not fewer!

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

This thread was righteously hijacked a few days ago. I really want to protest its deviation back to boogie-bashing. We need MORE boogies, not fewer!

Wendy W.

Yes, last I recall, Wendy W., RhondaLea and ??? some guy with a name like an italian race car...? were in a hotel room... and some kind of fleece-lined black leather cuffs were involved... and someone's mouth being filled with sweet things... Oh, and outside, behind the building, the "Flaming Teeth Extinguishment" competition was entering into the exciting final rounds...

Wendy W.

Right. I'll go to any boogie that lets me dock last on a 100 way, regardless of who organizes it and what it's called.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Right. I'll go to any boogie that lets me dock last on a 100 way, regardless of who organizes it and what it's called.

I'll go one step farther, I'll go - for a slot in that 100way regardless of whether I dock last. (or even 2nd to last for that matter)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Wendy W.

Yes, last I recall, Wendy W., RhondaLea and ??? some guy with a name like an italian race car...? were in a hotel room... and some kind of fleece-lined black leather cuffs were involved... and someone's mouth being filled with sweet things... Oh, and outside, behind the building, the "Flaming Teeth Extinguishment" competition was entering into the exciting final rounds...

That is a relatively decent synopsis.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Nope. Rebecca was there, not me. And maybe one or two others?

You won't catch me dead in Texas. :|

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Nope. Rebecca was there, not me. And maybe one or two others?

You won't catch me dead in Texas. :|

rl

You won't catch me dead in Texas either. At least not anytime soon I hope... ;)

I think there is a need for a "GTAVercetti, The Women Who Love Him, and the Men Who Envy Him Boogie"

Or just the GTWWLHATMWEH Boogie for short. Notice that HAT is part of the easy-to-remember acronym.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I think there is a need for a "GTAVercetti, The Women Who Love Him, and the Men Who Envy Him Boogie"

Or just the GTWWLHATMWEH Boogie for short. Notice that HAT is part of the easy-to-remember acronym.

This sounds like a fantastic idea.

The title of this thread is all wrong... is there a NEED for a Gay Boogie? No, just as there is no need for any other boogie. There are very few real needs.

There is a WANT for a Gay Boogie slavery and that is all that matters.

Okay, now that I've fixed that for ya, what would you say about "wants" justifying things that really should not be because they are dividers?

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Okay, now that I've fixed that for ya, what would you say about "wants" justifying things that really should not be because they are dividers?

-

You just compare the enslavement of people to a gay themed boogie. :|

bravo sir, bravo

One needs to understand the group mentality, the desire to party with like-minded people, whether it be a a girl's group, or a trekkie convention, or the Woodstock event, being part of a skiing club, or enjoying a black entertainment event.

Just like the curious non-trekkies at the Trekkie convention, or the white guys enjoying a black concert, there are straight guys coming to the boogie too, who like the atmosphere around gay people, even if they are not into the sex side of things. Everyone is invited, as we say, if it interests you;

"White guys enjoying a 'black concert'?"

I really don't know what to say, here. If white guys called something a "black concert," suddenly we'd be opened up to criticism for paying too much attention to race; for singling it out as a "black thing," and we'd be excoriated for being "racist" or "bigoted."

When are we ever going to iron out what IS fair and what ISN'T fair to say? It really does seem that restrictions are placed on "the Majority" (which just means "white," whether you're in a place where most of the people are white or not), and the "minorities" (even if they are in the majority in a given place) are allowed to say whatever they want, and do and associate however they want.

-
-Jeffrey

-

You just compare the enslavement of people to a gay themed boogie. :|

bravo sir, bravo

You just missed my point yet again. Bravo.

Maybe it was about the idea of justifying something that is not right, simply because people "want it." :|

-
-Jeffrey

You just missed my point yet again. Bravo.

Maybe it was about the idea of justifying something that is not right, simply because people "want it." :|

-

Everyone seems to miss your "points" alot, don't they? But don't worry, I got it. I just thought it was a poor one.

If you cannot see the impact difference between slavery and a gay themed boogie (which is actually open to anyone who wants to attend), there is really nothing I can do to make is clear.

-

You have yet to explain what is "not right" about people with a common interest (besides skydiving) getting together to socialize and skydive.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Usually I feel that if I'm going to post I should actually respond to the content of the message or at least get in a Thinly Veiled Personal Attack(TM).

But through his absolutely ENDLESS, willfully uncomprehending repetition, "Peaceful" Jeffrey now receives my patented:

*Y*A*W*N*

First Class Citizen Twice Over

You're right. Slavery is just like a gay boogie. The Constitution does not refer to slavery anywhere. Slavery was not a black issue. Heck, everyone but you is an idiot to not realize how evil and wrong this boogie is.

How is it that people go straight for the subject used in the analogy, instead of understanding the analogy itself?

Nowhere in there is an equivalency of gay boogies and slavery. The point -- you all are, indeed missing it -- is that people wanting something (a popular demand) is not necessarily the measure of whether something should be.

Bill, I'm not here making statements to ridicule people -- I'm calmly trying to zero in on my views (it's not always easy). Of all people, why are YOU coming back at me with nasty sarcasm?

-
-Jeffrey