Trent

Insensitive? Or PC Gone Stupid... AGAIN.

I wonder what would happen to the economy in the southern parts of the US if all Mexicans left....
--------------------------------------------------------

All those people siting arond and abuseing wellfare/unemployment could be told that there is a job ready for you therefore you will no longer recieve wellfare/unemployment payments.

Never happen...the Dems *need* the 'entitlement class' votes.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Say something negative to one of the popular girls and watch all the testostorone heavy guys flock and jump in...I feel like I am watching a high school dance...

What a fun thread! Sorry I missed it. :S

I guess my only question is this:

If I agree with and defend Rebecca, do that make me gay?

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I'm not certain she needs a defender, gay or not.

Toepick or not.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Say something negative to one of the popular girls and watch all the testostorone heavy guys flock and jump in...I feel like I am watching a high school dance...

What a fun thread! Sorry I missed it. :S

rl

No, but it could cause you to grow a mustache.

No, but it could cause you to grow a mustache.

You're on your own, Rebecca. :|

:D:D

I got it covered, but thanks anyway Rhonda!! :D:D

Rehmwa, are you taking good care of the toepick? As one of The Popular Girls, I've decided you can be my official toepick bearer. All it requires is your presence with said implement upon my command. Cool? Ok, cool. B|

I still don't get why anyone would be offended. 1836 was a long LONG time ago, and Mexico, Texas and the US have changed quite a lot since then. Are there any historically held-over issues, akin to slavery in its current context, that would make a certain subset of Mexicans or Mexican Americans bitter about it? Was some group grievously wronged outside the "normal" scope of a battle?
:S:S:S

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Who cares what a pro sports team calls itself? Does it affect the win/lose ratio?

There's a pro soccer team in the UK called "Sheffield Wednesday" and in Scotland there's "Queen of the South".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The question itself shows the lack of understanding in PC. This is the case of a private business coming to the understanding they will make more money if they change their name. Once again that isn't PC, that is capitalism.

While the decision to change names may have been based on expected monetary gain... the REAL question IS about PC... the real question is about how stupid people can be with any issue. Even a non-offensive one like when Texas won their independence. I think the team owners are pussies for changing the name because someone got their feelings hurt. I also think that anyone offended by the name "1863" is a dumb-shit. Most of the hispanic people that called the show were not offended by the name, but then it was a conservative station. I have a feeling that the team MIGHT lose 1% of their ticket sales because of the name... so what does that add up to 5-10 tickets?:P

I suspect that it would quite a bit more than that since 27% of Houston is Mexican and interest in soccer is considerably greater than for non-Mexicans. We're probably talking big bucks here.

I agree that its pretty thin skinned to be offended by such a name.

Who cares what a pro sports team calls itself? Does it affect the win/lose ratio?

I'd think the athletes should.

It's hard to get jazzed up for a game if you are a football player for the Dallas Daffodils.

"A rose by any other name - is not called a rose anymore now is it?"

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Apparently some thin-skinned "offended at anything" types really do.

The point isn't about the name anyway... it's about the retards who are offended by the name "1836" which has historical, factual significance here.
Oh, hello again!

There are also plenty of teams in Europe with years in their names. The years in their names represent the year the team was founded. These are just some:

TSV 1860 München (Germany)
Spezia Calcio 1906 (Italy)
A.G. Nocerina 1910 (Italy)
Bohemians 1905 (Czech Rep.)

even Japan has a couple -- Tokyo Verdy 1969 and Kobe F.C. 1970

I don't think any of the teams in Europe are named after historical years. In any event, it was a lame *business* decision by whoever thought of the 1836 name since it wasn't a very good year for Mexico and since a good part of the fan base will be Latino (albeit that it's lame that people would be irritated by it); a wise decision to change the name so as not to *risk* losing business because of it.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

It could be worse, they could have called the team "Houston Juneteenth"

Sounds like something a Texas ex-governor would name a team.

Seems like Houston teams just can't resist letting their oozing Texas pride get into their name, first "Houston Texans" (has got to be the absolute lamest name for a team ever) and now this 1836 thing.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

I totally agree, the Texans is probably the worst name in all of professional sports, Grasshoppers, you're off the hook. I vote to bring back the good ol Colt .45's. Now theres a team name with some machismo. Word.

Grendel Khan-The Official DZ.Com Newbie Forum Nuisance
"They sicken of the calm, that know the storm."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a fun thread! Sorry I missed it.

If you consider yourself a testosterone heavy guy, you would be a transvestite I do believe....

So I was listening to the radio this morning and they were talking about how the new Houston soccer team had to be re-named because it was deemed (by whom, I'm not sure) that their first name was offensive to someone. Yeah, that's right... a soccer team.

Apparently, the original name "1836" (kinda like the 76ers) is offensive to Mexicans since that is the year that Sam Houston defeated Santa Ana and won independence for Texas. So they're actually changing the name because actual history is offensive to them.

Is this just ridiculous or what?

Bad business to piss off 90% of your customers.

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

Yeah, well, how sad is it that 90% of the customers of this team are apparently fucking morons for being offended about a date that allows them the opportunity to live, work, and watch soccer in the US?

All those offended are still welcome to kiss my ass.
Oh, hello again!

I'd think the athletes should.

It's hard to get jazzed up for a game if you are a football player for the Dallas Daffodils.

"A rose by any other name - is not called a rose anymore now is it?"

I just watched the movie "Battle of Britain" last night. Fascinating how the RAF squadron callsigns were things like "Cowslip", "Dogsbody" and "Rabbit", whereas the Nazi squadrons were "Vulture" and "Eagle".

Besides, I like daffodils.:P

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.