flyinghonu

Would you sue?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/02/08/spelling.bee.ap/index.html

I'm curious to see what others think. I'd be SUPER pissed as well but can also buy the analogy to a sports call (as I have also been SUPER pissed at those as well). Do you think these parents have completely missed the point if they decide to sue the school district?

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

What does this teach the kid? That you should run to the government or authorities anytime something doesn't go you way. Shit and life happens.

The parents had a point in time to protest the decision but did not protest during the time alloted by the competition. So doom on them, they're not following the rules either.

Sometimes I swear people act like 4-year olds.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Something about that isn't right.

They're saying that the waited until the end as to not interrupt. I say that's bullshit.

If they're the type of people that would sue over something like that, they'd be all over the someone as soon as they made the bad call.

I'd bet they didn't know how to spell it themselves.. :|

Personally, I think people like this have waaayy too much time on their hands..

This poor child has no future left in front of her. Because i lost a spelling bee in 2nd grade, my life is nothing but drugs and beating my dog. I hope they win millions so our school systems can finally realize that life has to be always fair no matter what the circumstance and that losing a spelling bee because of a judges error can destroy lives.

It never ceases to both amaze and depress me the extend of the litiginous (ooh big word - probably spelt incorrectly too :)
Life isn't fair, people make mistakes, deal with it.

Gavin

I jump out of planes and if I pile in, thats my fault for getting out of the damn plane in the first place. If someone decides to start a lawsuit as a result, I'm gonna crawl out of my hole and give 'em a good kicking! With extra maggots!! :P

Gavin

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. If you don't take it out and use it, its going to rust.

These parents are wacky. Instead of using this as an opportunity to teach their child the lesson that life isn't always fair and things like spelling bee's arent that important, they choose to teach her to destroy anyone who wrong's her.

Maybe they are teaching her to fight for what you think is right. To stand up for your beliefs, specially against to government. To make sure you are not walked all over by a bigger entity. There are many different ways to look at this.

Personally I wouldn't sue. I would however try and arrange something for my child that would show some appreciation for the hard work he/she has put into this.

they choose to teach her to destroy anyone who wrong's her.

Destroy? Sounds like you are going overboard just as much as these parents would if they sued.

No, there is no cause to sue. If her parents had been the "wonderful" and "involved" parents they are appearing to be then they would have known the rules of the spelling bee prior to it. Parents suck sometimes. Id be upset, but mostly because I would be embarrassed that my child could spell that well at that age and I am still all screwed up on when to use your vs you're
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Maybe they are teaching her to fight for what you think is right. To stand up for your beliefs, specially against to government. To make sure you are not walked all over by a bigger entity. There are many different ways to look at this.

Well, funny you should post that arguement. This seems to be the consensus of the women I work with (mind you, it's an uptight law firm).

Personally, they biggest damage done (besides the parents childish reactions, was embarrassment to the child). Anyone ever just apologize anymore? I think it would be appropriate for the school board/spelling bee people to make a public apology for their error, state their case in relation to the rules and strive never to make the same stupid mistake again. Then her parents could have taught her that shit does happen but sometimes people take responsibility for their mistakes.

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

Yeah, maybe they will teach her it's OK to speed if you disagree with the speed limit to keep from being a hipocrit.

Considering the amount of money the school system would have to spend to defend this dumb suit by the overamped yuppie parents, who ignored the rules themselves and the resulting effect it would have on the school budget, I'd say destroy is more than an appropriate word. Should they win, this could take food out of the mouths of needy school children while the parents sit back and gloat about their victory and decide which model new Mercedes they should buy.

Oh, almost forgot. :P (just so you don't take it too seriously)

The parents are wrong, both ethically and, for whatever the hell it's worth, legally. No, I wouldn't sue. First of all, there are no genuine damages as far as I'm concerned, and thus there's no cause of action. But that's really beside the point the rest of you are making, and I think the rest of you are (mostly) right.

These are the same kind of parents that are like "little league dads" who interfere with the coaches and referees, or "stage mothers" who interfere with directors and choreographers. My kids are active both in sports and in performance arts, so I've seen plenty of both.

i don't think the lawsuit would do any good. I think that the parents should just tell the kid 'good job!' and 'look how much smarter you are than he judges' and let it go. Certinly a lawyer has better things to do with their time. What would the point of the suit be?

:)
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

The school spokesman says he hopes everybody can sit down together and work something out. He says defending a lawsuit over a spelling bee isn't a good way to spend school district money.

Therein lies the pith of the issue.

What do the parents want? Glory for their kid? A quick payout of "please shut up you fuckin' overzealous nutjob" money from the pockets of all the other parents paying taxes in their district?![

They need to shut the fuck up. It was unfortunate. They should have stood up right then and challenged the ruling. To wait until the end of the entire bee and then object is to tell the other kids that all the words they spelled correctly from that point til the end aren't worth squat. So let's do an injustice to a bunch of other kids just to make up for the one done to your kid? No, I don't think so.

I would love to know what exactly they want out of suing. A monetary award? Great. Fuck over your own school district's finances (when everyone complains already that schools don't have enough money), over a spelling bee?! >:( Was winning the bee (assuming the kid would have been destined to win) have gotten her into some prestigious college or something? No? Then nothing was lost except for a little dignity perhaps, and the chance at maybe winning whatever prize was offered.

In short, they need to just get over it. And maybe call the judge a nasty name, IF he hasn't apologized profusely.

And yeah, the judge should be apologizing profusely. The little girl is an innocent caught up in this, I would think.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

No, I wouldn't. What are the damages? And maybe now the kid can get a date.

Depends... Quite often, spelling bees have prizes such as cash or college scholarships. My high school had a joint spelling bee with several other high schools, and the PTAs put up about $10K in scholarship awards.

This kind of crap is partly what embodies all that is just ridiculous in America right now. This lady is a complete idiot and unfortunately it's too late to stop her from reproducing.

Maybe if her husband is mean enough to her and the whole world neglects her needs enough, she'll get depressed and drown the ones she does have in the bathtub... :S

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Here are some more details:

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060208/NEWS10/602080350/1016/NEWS

Apparently there is some scholarship money at stake.

rl

From this article it sounds as if the student protested it iimmediately.

As well as her teachers.
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

These parents are wacky. Instead of using this as an opportunity to teach their child the lesson that life isn't always fair and things like spelling bee's arent that important, they choose to teach her to destroy anyone who wrong's her.

They teach her how to make a lot of money when an opportunity presents itself - a very useful skill in a capitalist society.

bsbd!

Yuri.

I wouldn't sue and neither should they. SHIT HAPPENS! Come to think of it they should be sterilized, slowly with dull instruments.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"