briguy

Let's post good things about Muslims

I actually took a religion class and learned about Muslims. The true Muslims would never be violent and if you were a complete stranger that showed up at their door. They would be so curtious and feed you as if you were on of their own. I knew guy that imediatly converted to Mulsim because while he was in Turkey, he experienced this. He said he was hooked!

I don't understand why a person would convert to the religion just because he experienced good treatment by people of that religion.

Why not just BE the way they were, ACT the way they did? Do you have to suddenly adopt belief in their GOD and their religious customs? Isn't treating others hospitably just a humanist thing to do?

-

Right, but how often does that happen in this country? If I showed up at someone's door here and asked for some hospitality, they would either call the cops or slam the door in my face! Real Christian of them....huh?

1. Come to my house and ask for some hospitality. You might be surprised at what you receive. Ask Muenkel and Michele. And I'm not just a Christian, I'm a Catholic.

2. Not everyone in this country is Christian.

3. The very real possibility of being a victim of crime influences people's desire to be charitable to a stranger in the scenario you propose.

4. What I have found in this country is that many, many people I wouldn't expect to be charitable just based on their appearance are extremely charitable when they see someone in need. Of course, I do not know their religious affiliation, but since you're generalizing that most Americans are Christians, I guess I'll fall into that trap too....

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I am amazed at your knowledge of the Islamic legal system.

If the Islamic legal system is so great, how come you and your Dad ran away from Iran and came to live in America? Perhaps it is time for you to tell your story once again, to those who haven't heard it before.

My dad is in Iran. He didn't run away, he stayed in Iran even during the war and I was 6 at the time so I didn’t even understand the horrors of war to want to run. I just did what they told me like most 6 year olds.

You seem to read things and then add words that are in your head to them.

I didn’t say the Iranian legal system is great or better then the one we have here. Instead of always trying to start shit you should actually read what was written.

After the poster had posted a few negative remarks that were actually insulting and not positive as he mentioned. I got curios as I often get listening to some of views posted here and wondered did he pull that information out of his ass or did he have personal experience.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Actually it is a statistical fact that most Americans are Christian. And isn't Catholisism a form of Christianity?

you've missed my points...

Funny tangential story...

My college friend Patrick is as Catholic as they come. He moves into his dorm and meets his assigned roommate and roommate's parents.

Somehow the fact that Patrick is Catholic comes up in the conversation. At which point roommate's mom says, in her best church lady voice:

"You're Catholic? We're Christian. Are Catholics Christian?"

He got a lot of mileage out of that story. :D:D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

There are plenty of people who don't consider Catholics to be Christians :|. I have a Baptist friend at work who's married to a Methodist. She said that her minister had a real problem marrying her to a non-Christian.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Let's talk about muslims dancing in the streets after the hijacked airliners crashed on 9/11/01.

There were many that held a candle light vigil for the people who were murdered that day. Specially in countries like Iran. Lets talk about that.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Actually it is a statistical fact that most Americans are Christian. And isn't Catholisism a form of Christianity?

Funny tangential story...

My college friend Patrick is as Catholic as they come. He moves into his dorm and meets his assigned roommate and roommate's parents.

Somehow the fact that Patrick is Catholic comes up in the conversation. At which point roommate's mom says, in her best church lady voice:

He got a lot of mileage out of that story. :D:D:D

I actually still get that alot... a lot of protestants, at least here in the "south" don't realize that their name, "protestant" came from protesting against catholicism... for 1.5k years, the catholic church pretty much WAS the christian church (w/ nods to eastern rites, etc.)

It's amazing. What I tell my non-catholic christian friends is, instead of harping on our differences, let's just boil this thing down to least common denominators for the sake of foregoing heated, protracted arguments... you believe in Jesus, we believe in Jesus.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

There are plenty of people who don't consider Catholics to be Christians :|. I have a Baptist friend at work who's married to a Methodist. She said that her minister had a real problem marrying her to a non-Christian.

Wendy W.

What I've found is that most people who don't think Catholics are Christian really don't understand Catholicism and/or believe inaccuracies about the Catholic religion, such as Catholics worship Mary, pray to statues, etc. When such myths are dispelled, these non-Catholic Christians are usually pretty quick to acknowledge that Catholics are Christians as well.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Of course, Switzerland didn't give women the right to vote until 1972.

But they make superb chocolate, right?

Get your priorities right! What's more important to you'se Girlies?... Voting or CHOCOLATE?:)

Mike.

PS: What's the point of having girlies in politics in a country full of cuckoo clocks?

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Of course, Switzerland didn't give women the right to vote until 1972.

But they make superb chocolate, right?

Get your priorities right! What's more important to you'se Girlies?... Voting or CHOCOLATE?:)

Mike.

PS: What's the point of having girlies in politics in a country full of cuckoo clocks?

BEST.

POST.

EVER!!!

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

They are very dedicated students.

In Indonesia, about 175 students at an Islamic school in Surabaya, in East Java province, signed a pact saying they are "ready to die" for Mohammed and would demand an apology from any Danes they met, said their headmaster, Yusuf Muhajir. Denmark has advised its citizens to leave Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim country.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/02/10/cartoon.protests/index.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been eating Venezuelan chocolate lately :). I can't vote in either Switzerland or Venezuela, can I?

Anyway, if I had to choose, I'd choose voting, because then the women (who generally outnumber men anyway) would vote to rescind any bans on chocolate, and there would be an incredible voter turnout. It'd look like a dictatorship :ph34r:

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I am sorry I miss-read the point where you said that you were catholic, a form of Christianity. For that I am sorry. But I am right about the statistics though!
-----------------
I love and Miss you so much Honey!
Orfun #3 ~ Darla

I ams till hoping that you will answer my earlier question. Why the rule simposed on women by the US are any better than the rules imposed on women by Islam, or Islamic regimes.

Instead of demanding something from me, how about you invest something of your own time and intellect to try and prove your own point.

Tell us why you think Muslim women have a better life than American women.

Speaking as a non-muslim, women in a Muslim society aren't judged on their tits! (trying sooo... hard to NOT say they're juged on their eyebrows!:D) They view that as an advantage, and I'd guess that a fair few Western women would agree.

Of course, the downside of it is their subjurgation. If women in Islamic countries could just get the "freedom" that Western women enjoy (a right to vote, drive, etc...), then they'd have it all!

Unfortunately, at the moment it seems to be respect OR equality.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

I am sorry I miss-read the point where you said that you were catholic, a form of Christianity. For that I am sorry. But I am right about the statistics though!

... :| ... yet the rest of the post goes unaddressed. there are valid reasons in this country why people who may "claim" to be a member of this or that religion aren't as charitable as YOU think they should be to some stranger who waltzes up to their door. overgeneralizations will get you nowhere

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

What I've found is that most people who don't think Catholics are Christian really don't understand Catholicism and/or believe inaccuracies about the Catholic religion, such as Catholics worship Mary, pray to statues, etc. When such myths are dispelled, these non-Catholic Christians are usually pretty quick to acknowledge that Catholics are Christians as well.

About Catholics and worshipping Mary statues -- not sure if you've been to southern Europe, but there is some *serious* idolatry going on in those churches. Tons of Mary statues, statues of practically every saint in the book, people kneeling down before them...

Irish Catholic churches are quite different though (at least the ones I've been to), much simpler and a whole lot lighter on the graven images, more along the lines of a protestant church. Perhaps it's a cultural thing.

In any case, Catholics are Christians and I think the only people who question that are the evangelical zealot types.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Instead of demanding something from me, how about you invest something of your own time and intellect to try and prove your own point.

First hoping and demanding are two different things :)
Second, that wasn't my point. I suggest re-reading the question.

American women do not have the same freedoms as American men. granted it is to a much lesser degree than in the muslim world, but still true.

I never stated that I thought muslim women have a better life. Though I have sertainle spoken with a few muslim women in my work environment who are happier a smulsims than they were as non-muslims before.

... :| ... yet the rest of the post goes unaddressed. there are valid reasons in this country why people who may "claim" to be a member of this or that religion aren't as charitable as YOU think they should be to some stranger who waltzes up to their door. overgeneralizations will get you nowhere

No No No, my point is that every religion's original message was a peaceful one. Every religion has its downside. Muslims are no exception! Just like Christianity and Jews, they all have their hypocrits!

We all sit there and judge Muslims as if they are an exception to Hypocracy, but they are no worse than any other religion (spanish inquisition)
-----------------
I love and Miss you so much Honey!
Orfun #3 ~ Darla

Right, but how often does that happen in this country? If I showed up at someone's door here and asked for some hospitality, they would either call the cops or slam the door in my face! Real Christian of them....huh?

You're posting on a Canadian server, so by I assume you are referring to Canada. ;)

I have no experiences with Canadians. I have, however, travelled in the US, where I have found people to be extremely friendly and hospitable.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

About Catholics and worshipping Mary statues -- not sure if you've been to southern Europe, but there is some *serious* idolatry going on in those churches. Tons of Mary statues, statues of practically every saint in the book, people kneeling down before them...

Irish Catholic churches are quite different though (at least the ones I've been to), much simpler and a whole lot lighter on the graven images, more along the lines of a protestant church. Perhaps it's a cultural thing.

In any case, Catholics are Christians and I think the only people who question that are the evangelical zealot types.

First off, kneeling before a statue doesn't mean you're worshipping it, just as genuflecting before a king doesn't mean your worshipping him.

Second, statues of Mary and saints aren't graven images. If they were, so would the picture of your grandmother on your dresser. They are 3d representations of people who existed in time, like photographs. That's all. Nothing more. They are there for their significance in helping the faithful remember their example of living virtuous lives and for WHOM they lived their lives. The lives of saints points to God, not themselves.

Third, I agree that in certain cultures, customs my appear as if they take things a little far w/ respect to statues. That doesn't mean they are worshipping plaster though. Call it an eccentricity if you will. But before anyone accuses them of idolatry, they should ask what exactly is going on in the mind of the faithful... in most cases, you'll see that the person isn't worshipping the statue or even the saint that the statue represents as a god.

Rather, in the catholic mindset, the veil of death is not something that seperates the body of believers, the church militant (those living on earth) from the church triumphant (those in heaven). Catholics believe that saints possess an intercessory power. Just as you could ask your sweet grandmother to pray for you if you were sick, so can the faithful here ask a saint in heaven for prayers. But the understanding is that the saint in heaven has no power of their own, it all comes from the same Source, who is God. It's like this... is it better to have one person writing to a city councilman asking for help to fix a damaged road or is it better to have everyone in the neighborhood, especially those with the most influence, writing those letters?

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...