EricTheRed

stay away from fat people...

In most cases, you don't gain more than the weight of the food you eat. Sometimes you can, and from what I found, it has something to do with the body's oxygen intake, but beyond that I don't know. However, it is possible to gain more than the mass of the food you eat.

Sure, if you burn off the calories, you will probably not gain weight, but it's the burning of calories that is the issue sometimes. Some people's bodies tend to store more calories and burn less, even with the same amount of exercise as another person. Metabolism is a factor, as is things like thyroid problems and certain medications, for example, Lithium, which works by affecting the distribution of seratonin. Seratonin is associated with mood regulation, which is why lithium is one of the drugs of choice for bipolar disorder, but it also helps regulate appetite and metabolism.

I agree that many times weight gain is the result of a high calorie low exercise lifestyle. However, sometimes it isn't.

Sometimes you can, and from what I found, it has something to do with the body's oxygen intake, but beyond that I don't know. However, it is possible to gain more than the mass of the food you eat.

I need to see something that proves that this oxygen effect is significant, or even real to begin with. It seems pretty improbably that, if this phenomenon exists, that it would contribute greatly to one's weight.

I agree that many times weight gain is the result of a high calorie low exercise lifestyle. However, sometimes it isn't.

People are all dealt different hands. If you're slower at burning calories... you just gotta work more if you want to be "in shape". Regardless of the reasons for someone's obesity, they should get it in check because it is always unhealthy.
Oh, hello again!

Sometimes you can, and from what I found, it has something to do with the body's oxygen intake, but beyond that I don't know. However, it is possible to gain more than the mass of the food you eat.

I need to see something that proves that this oxygen effect is significant, or even real to begin with. It seems pretty improbably that, if this phenomenon exists, that it would contribute greatly to one's weight.

People are all dealt different hands. If you're slower at burning calories... you just gotta work more if you want to be "in shape". Regardless of the reasons for someone's obesity, they should get it in check because it is always unhealthy.

I do know that if you stop taking in oxygen long enough you will not care about loosing weight :)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

they should get it in check because it is always unhealthy.

I wasn’t going to pick on you until you said always.
There are cases where people according to every scale are considered obese but other then that they are in great health.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

If you ate 2lbs of food and drink, could you gain more than 2lbs? If you burned all the calories associated with your 2lb meal, could you gain weight?

It's logically possible that 2 lbs of food could lead to more than 2 lbs of additional body weight.

Imagine eating 2 lbs of food then having those nutrients trigger formation of tissues that retain the next 2 lbs of water you drink, leading to 4 lbs of weight gain.

Think of fertilizer and plants. Milligrams of "food" cause kilograms of new growth.

I don't know if this happens in human bodies, but it's not the logical absurdity you seem to think it is.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Imagine eating 2 pounds of poison. Then the corpse attracts 5 pounds of bugs and slugs which then take up residence in the body - for a net gain over the first 2 pounds......

-- I think if you took something that increased water retention, then you still have to 'take in' the extra water. Since the body has to burn mass to release energy to live, the only way to 'net' out a gain is to take in more mass. In nightengale's example, it was taken in through the air - ok, that's subtle and might count as 'mysterious' extra weight gain. In your case, you had to 'drink' that water.

I think a net gain over intake is a logical absurdity.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

If you look closely, you'll see that I said "2lbs of food and drink."

If you ate those 2lbs, and they caused you to gain 2lbs, but also triggered some kind of effect like you mentioned... then you'd gain 2lbs more because you drank 2lbs of water... you're still only gaining what you consume. Unless that oxygen thing is legit...

And as far as obese people being healthy... I guess they could be... but they still have to have their heart cover more ground to pump blood to all that tissue.
Oh, hello again!

If you look closely, you'll see that I said "2lbs of food and drink."

If YOU look closely I understood that and accounted for it with quite a bit of care. I'm not a simpleton, although it's certainly the habit around here to assume everybody else is always wrong and that they're wrong because they're stupid.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

If YOU look closely I understood that and accounted for it with quite a bit of care. I'm not a simpleton, although it's certainly the habit around here to assume everybody else is always wrong and that they're wrong because they're stupid.

Dude, do you have some chip on your shoulder or what? Where did I imply that I thought you were a simpleton or stupid? You should calm down.

I think the 2 posts (mine and remhwa's) explained enough about what I meant. Argue that with me if you want, but you should really avoid thinking that because I think you're wrong that I also think you're stupid... unless you really do want to just have a Jerry Springer-style argument.
Oh, hello again!

However, it is possible to gain more than the mass of the food you eat.

Some people's bodies tend to store more calories and burn less, even with the same amount of exercise as another person. Metabolism is a factor, as is things like thyroid problems and certain medications, for example, Lithium, which works by affecting the distribution of seratonin.

More than sometimes - more like most times.

Can you point to some authority that has data or studies on gaining more weight than the weight of the food eaten.

A friend of mine who is an exercise physiologist and former Olympics trainer says it's calories in minus calories burned minus calories excreted equals weight change. I find it hard to believe that adding a little O2 changes that, especially since while taking in the O2 we're exhaling CO2.

Metabolism plays a part but the range of people's efficeincy at burning calories is not nearly wide enough to account for all the obesity. The number of people with bona-fide medical issues (such as thyroid problems) is a small fraction of the obese population.

People who have medical conditions or metabolism know this (or should know this) and should act accordingly. If they do not have the strength or will power, that is a different story. The brain is hungry, the body is not. It's called addiction and they should get professional help.

Unless a person is totally oblivious to their state of being, they must recognize that the choices they make put them where they are. It may not be easy to change, but so what? Just because something is difficult is not license to act like a victim of circumstance.

If the pain of making changes is more difficult to bear than the pain of the current state - then a choice has been made to remain as is.

Free will isn't free - it takes work to change, sometimes hard work.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

If you ate 2lbs of food and drink, could you gain more than 2lbs? If you burned all the calories associated with your 2lb meal, could you gain weight?

It's logically possible that 2 lbs of food could lead to more than 2 lbs of additional body weight.

Imagine eating 2 lbs of food then having those nutrients trigger formation of tissues that retain the next 2 lbs of water you drink, leading to 4 lbs of weight gain.

Think of fertilizer and plants. Milligrams of "food" cause kilograms of new growth.

I don't know if this happens in human bodies, but it's not the logical absurdity you seem to think it is.

No, not logical. Those extra pounds of tissue do not materialize from nowhere. Materials to build the tissue must be brought in. The plant analogy is no good either. Plants are constantly pulling nutrients from the ground (as well as the mass of the fertilizer you mentioned).

Water also needs to be carefully considered. It can be used to cheat both sides of the equation. It is how most of the trendy diets work. They depend on shedding water weight for the initial dramatic losses.

The whole diet industry is pretty much a scam. If they can get a person to permanently change their behavior, so be it. Good for them. But you do not need the gimmickry of things like Atkins, South Beach, etc. to be successful.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

It's also funny how people refuse to believe there are any factors to obesity OTHER than laziness.

I totally agree with you, but obesiety is turning into an epidemic here in the USA. We are the only country in the World that is eating itself to death. The majority of obese people are too freaking lazy to do something about it. A very small percentage of these people can attribute it to some illness or genetic factor.

FWIW:
If you actually look at the findings, it indicates that there is a link between exposure to a certain virus and the body's propensity to store fat.

Physiologist Leah Whigham of the University of Wisconsin-Madison and her colleagues inoculated young male chickens with three strains of adenovirus--Ad-2, Ad-31 and Ad-37. She and her team then monitored the chickens for three and a half weeks, recording their food intake throughout. Though the infected chickens and noninfected controls consumed the same amount of food and were exposed to the same conditions, chickens carrying Ad-37 were found to have nearly three times as much fat in their guts and more than two times as much fat over their entire body at the end of the three-and-a-half week period. The other two virus strains appeared to have little effect on weight

Intake and excercise apear to have been controlled for.
illegible usually

FWIW:
If you actually look at the findings, it indicates that there is a link between exposure to a certain virus and the body's propensity to store fat.

But it later states this:

"Any contribution that adenoviruses make to epidemic obesity is certain to be little more than specks of dust compared with these 'obesigenic' factors."

Oh, hello again!

It's also funny how people refuse to believe there are any factors to obesity OTHER than laziness.

I realize there are other factors other than laziness. I realize there are medical factors as well.

However, most aren't. They need to get off their ass instead of making up excuses.
This ad space for sale.

they should get it in check because it is always unhealthy.

I wasn’t going to pick on you until you said always.
There are cases where people according to every scale are considered obese but other then that they are in great health.

Diseases are funny things (funny wierd - not funny ha-ha). Yes, you might dodge the bullet, just as not all smokers get cancer.

But the odds are stacked against you in direct proportion to the level of obesity. There is diabetes, circulatory problems, ankle/knee/hip disorders, and a whole host of other goodies that can jump up and bite you while celebrating the anomaly of being obese and healthy.

Saying a person is obese and healthy is like saying they are hypoglycemic or have hypertension and are healthy. It's a contrdiction in terms. The problems may not be obvious and may not manifest themselves for years, but they are lying in wait.

I'll give you that a person can be obese, but healthy in all other ways.

BTW - some of the weight charts out there are very misleading. When I say obese, I mean more than just a few pounds to shed. My definition of obese is that a person is overweight to the point of being at imminent risk for weight related health problems.