lawrocket

Alito's in.

I was listening to a great deal of the confirmation hearings today on the radio. The ABA panel and the panel of judges that he works with wiped the floor with the allegations against him. I was actually personally surprised at the way those judges who served with him rallied around him, basically saying that the allegations against his ethics, integrity and personal viewpoints are assinine tripe.

I supported Alito's nomination, for the most part. I was getting a bit concerned over the past couple of days. But after today's hearings when the ABA and those judges started talking, it sealed it for me. You could even tell how frustrated Kennedy and Schumer were getting at hearing all the wrong information being put out, and deft explanations from the panel that belittled allegations against Alito's character.

Alito's in, and it'll be quicker than I thought. There won't be a filibuster, and Senate floor debate won't last too long.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Kennedy...... What a complete ass. :|
Added: Looks like he picked the wrong week to stop drinking.

I'm not so sure he did.

Yeah, he made an ass of himself. Apparently he was supposed to be the party hit man, but he just looked like a fool.

It's sickening that the man who drove drunk and killed a girl while cheating on his wife, and who was kicked out of college for cheating on tests, would dare to question the integrity of someone like Alito.

He didn't even bother to figure out how to say his name correctly.

From what I have been able to watch (not as much as I would like) --

It seems a great deal like he is getting beat up over the same issue day in and day out. "I didn't inhale" would certainyl suggest that we all have skeletons in our closet and his membership in a Princeton secret society back in college should have, I think, little to do with the work he has done since.

I think Roe should stand, but I think he is a good fit on all other merits, and I think he would need something extraordinary to overturn Roe -- not something he will likely do despite what the liberals would have us believe.

Just my thoughts...
-
-
"Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical."

I'm a moderate. Alito is a much clearer thinker than old Rehnquist (I've read some of his minority summaries... they're very personal in tone). I probably will never vote for a Republican at the federal level of government again (just state and local), but he's a solid pick.

Let's all hold hands and admit... Judge Harriet Miers was obviously a really bad pick and possibly a test to see if we could slip in a cronie after Judge Robert's outstanding success at getting nominated.

Great, another ChristianFacist. And with the current age and health of other Justices, there will soon be more Theocrats in the Court.

Goodbye personal freedom, hello US Laws lifted directly from Leviticus.

We'll be legislated back to an Evangelical Christian Inquisition-esque 1984-scenario...

I need to see if my Family tree will allow me to apply for Irish citizenship...
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

Great, another ChristianFacist. And with the current age and health of other Justices, there will soon be more Theocrats in the Court.

Goodbye personal freedom, hello US Laws lifted directly from Leviticus.

We'll be legislated back to an Evangelical Christian Inquisition-esque 1984-scenario...

I need to see if my Family tree will allow me to apply for Irish citizenship...

Just an aside, but upon what do you base this contention?

With an appropriate "nod to history" I suppose that you could have merely stated, "Alito's America is a land in which women would be forced into back-alley abortions, blacks would sit at segregated lunch counters, rogue police could break down citizens' doors in midnight raids, children could not be taught about evolution." (I just changed the name from Robert Bork, and I'll go ahead and cite Ted Kennedy as the source of the quote)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Pfft. Alito is harmless. Stop whining.

Harriet Miers was MUCH more scary. My jaw dropped after reading her bio. The lady that ran the Texas Lotto has any sort of clue about handling consitutional cases? WTF were the Bush people up to? At the time she was nominated, she was just general council to the pres. C'mon, that's like being Dear Abbey to the presidents own legal problems, that doesn't mean you can handle a constitutional court case.

Oh and she wasn't even on the Supreme Court's list of attorneys who have been validated to appear before the court either.

Mmm, yeah and she wasn't a judge ever before in her lifetime.

A peanut farmer from Georgia can run this country, but he certainly couldn't do THAT sort of job on those qualifications alone.

Pfft. Alito is harmless. Stop whining.

what the hell are you talking about?

And don't tell me what to do.

I like Alito.

The "ehhhhh...." could have been interpretted as "To me its a joke, but him it is not.' It was a rather weak reply I admit, but I cannot be wry and 'on' in every post dammit! :ph34r:
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

brother, don't ya know?

eccentric, non-thinkers don't need to base their contentions on anything! they just sit around in groups and talk about how bad things are/will be when their own knowledge and wisdom are based upon tv and maxim magazine. :oB|
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

brother, don't ya know?

eccentric, non-thinkers don't need to base their contentions on anything! they just sit around in groups and talk about how bad things are/will be when their own knowledge and wisdom are based upon tv and maxim magazine. :oB|

Or they get indie sources from Drudge and the blogosphere---the same people that brought to you the forged document scandal on CBS news.

The judicial branch of government legislating such a thing...quite humorous. Especially given the context in which you make it. Not sure if you've heard, but Judge Alito seems to be a conservative judge nominated by a conservative President.
:D:D:D:D
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Now you've done it. Expect lots of ranting about the impending conservative theocracy that the political right wants to impose upon the nation. Probably references to this crackpot sight, PFAW, some Alliance for the Separation of Church and State, etc. Should be a hoot and a holler. Thanks, Micro...

:D
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Now you've done it. Expect lots of ranting about the impending conservative theocracy that the political right wants to impose upon the nation. Probably references to this crackpot sight, PFAW, some Alliance for the Separation of Church and State, etc. Should be a hoot and a holler. Thanks, Micro...

well, someone had to do pick up your slack, you wanker!

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...