Jimbo

Gradeschool children make the laws in Missouri: No cold beer.

Mo. Lawmaker Seeks to Ban Cold Beer Sales

By CHRIS BLANK
Associated Press Writer

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) -- A state senator wants to force Missouri stores to sell warm beer. Under a bill by Sen. Bill Alter, grocery and convenience stores would risk losing their liquor licenses if they sold beer colder than 60 degrees. The intent is to cut down on drunken driving by making it less tempting to pop open a beer after leaving the store.

"The only reason why beer would need to be cold is so that it can be consumed right away," Alter, who has been a police offer for more than 20 years, said Thursday.

He said the idea came from a fifth-grade student in Jefferson County who was participating in a program to teach elementary students about state government. He sought their suggestions for new laws and chose the cold beer ban from a list of the top three ideas.

"I thought it had the best chance at getting legislative attention," said Alter, R-High Ridge. "Plus, I think it's a good idea whether or not other people do."

Some lawmakers and lobbyists, however, are lukewarm about the idea.

Ron Leone, executive vice president for the Missouri Petroleum Marketers and Convenience Store Association, said the combination of Missouri's drinking and driving laws and designated driver programs already have curbed the number of people who drink and drive.

"It would be an inconvenience for law-abiding citizens who want to purchase cold beer for picnics, parties and social gatherings," he said. "People who want to drive drunk will drive drunk anyway."

Leone said he didn't know if there was a standard temperature at which beer is sold, but added that most refrigerators are set in the mid-to-low 40s.

Alter said the student who suggested the legislation would be a witness at the bill's hearing, which hasn't been scheduled.

Last year, a fourth-grade class from Kansas City submitted a proposal to make the American bullfrog the state amphibian. It passed in the final moments of the 2005 legislative session.

Alter said the jump from naming state animals to restricting how alcohol can be purchased didn't really surprise him.

"You never know what's on the mind of young kids - some of them are pretty smart," he said.

---

Beer bill is SB763.

On the Net:

Legislature: http://www.moga.mo.gov

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

On paper, it sounds like a good idea. I do think people would be less likely to pop a lukewarm beer on the way home from the store.

Enforcing the law could be time-consuming and probably not worth the effort. Who knows? Some stores might just decide to store some of their beer in hidden refrigerated rooms or coolers and tip their regular customers off to this availability, like the movie rental stores have hidden rooms for the XXX movie rentals...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've never known anyone so sensitive to alcohol that they could get drunk while drinking a beer on the drive home from the gas station. :|

I doubt it'll have any affect on drunk driving.

Only if they already had some beers at a party and wanted some more on the way home... Those are more likely to pop open a brew than one who hasn't had any... just my opinion
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

>I do think people would be less likely to pop a lukewarm beer on the
>way home from the store.

Perhaps. But I have a feeling that the people who are really the problems - alcoholics who drink regularly, and binge drinkers in the middle of a binge - will either drink the stuff warm or get a 99 cent cooler with ice in it.

If you're drunk enough to the point you're willing to risk a dui by having an open container in the drink ... you're drunk enough to drink a warm beer

furthermore, they sell those 2-minute beer coolers ..

a smart store can keep those on hand for complimentary use
This ad space for sale.

I've never known anyone so sensitive to alcohol that they could get drunk while drinking a beer on the drive home from the gas station. :|

I doubt it'll have any affect on drunk driving.

Only if they already had some beers at a party and wanted some more on the way home... Those are more likely to pop open a brew than one who hasn't had any... just my opinion

True, but if they can't buy cold beer, they'll probably just grab one or two before they leave the party.

I'm not sure what the rule is for selling beer to people that have been drinking, but that seems like an option too.

I knew a guy that would pickup a six pack when ever he would drive anywhere more then 5 min away and have it finished before he got there. Then pickup another for the drive back.

I have a feeling a guy like that wouldn't mind drinking warm beer, which would defeat the purpose of the law anyway. ;)

I have a feeling a guy like that wouldn't mind drinking warm beer, which would defeat the purpose of the law anyway.

It definately wouldn't work in some parts of rural England, no shit, I went into this nice country pub once and asked for a bottle of beer and the barmaid asked if I wanted a warm one or cold one! I was that shocked I just stood there in silence and stared at her for a bit then she asked again. She wasn;t kidding either, they had all the same bottles they had in fridge on the shelves and the strange fury country people were buying them all night!

Strange people around there.........smelt like cabbage.

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......