j0nes

The Mayor of Toronto is an idiot

Quoted from this (http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/12/27/canada.crime.ap/index.html) article:

"It's a sign that the lack of gun laws in the U.S. is allowing guns to flood across the border that are literally being used to kill people in the streets of Toronto,"

Assuming he is right about the lack of gun laws and the rampant illegal importation into Canada... how is the U.S. responsible for Canada's lack of border control and/or customs regulations?

I am in Toronto and yes he is an idiot....and you are absolutely right...the fact that guns are much easier to obtain in the US (though relatively easy to obtain here as well) has nothing to do with the problem of smuggling them into Canada. That is an issue with Customs and Border control.....

I used to travel to Toronto all the time when I lived in Upstate New York. It's a great city. Too bad it has such a dumb fuck as a mayor. US tourist dollars are actually a pretty fair chunk of Toronto's economy during the summer. I wonder how many Americans will take a pass on going to Toronto next summer when its mayor is openly hostile to them?

US tourist dollars are actually a pretty fair chunk of Toronto's economy

No it's not.

There are almost 5 million people living in the metro Toronto with another 5 or so million living in southern Ontario. For sure some businesses would suffer if the tourism dried up, but to say that Toronto's economy is driven by US tourism just shows how arrogant some people can be.

Population Demographics
Labour Force Overview
Economic Profile
Key Industries

I wonder how many Americans will take a pass on going to Toronto next summer when its mayor is openly hostile to them?

A bigger problem facing Canada/US economic relations have to deal with the USA's plans on enforcing that everyone entering the US (starting in 2007) must have a passport and with only a small minority of US citizens holding valid passports, a lot of people are worried that cross-border trade/travel will suffer in both nations.

Too bad it has such a dumb fuck as a mayor.

To get back on topic though, Toronto's gun/gang violence is Toronto's/Canada's fault. Not the USA's fault.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

US tourist dollars are actually a pretty fair chunk of Toronto's economy

No it's not.

There are almost 5 million people living in the metro Toronto with another 5 or so million living in southern Ontario. For sure some businesses would suffer if the tourism dried up, but to say that Toronto's economy is driven by US tourism just shows how arrogant some people can be.

Population Demographics
Labour Force Overview
Economic Profile
Key Industries

I wonder how many Americans will take a pass on going to Toronto next summer when its mayor is openly hostile to them?

A bigger problem facing Canada/US economic relations have to deal with the USA's plans on enforcing that everyone entering the US (starting in 2007) must have a passport and with only a small minority of US citizens holding valid passports, a lot of people are worried that cross-border trade/travel will suffer in both nations.

Too bad it has such a dumb fuck as a mayor.

To get back on topic though, Toronto's gun/gang violence is Toronto's/Canada's fault. Not the USA's fault.

1. What I actually said was, "US tourist dollars are actually a pretty fair chunk of Toronto's economy in the summer." Leaving out the last phrase makes it easier to rebut. Nice try, though.;)

2. The above, especially in full, is not the same as "Toronto's economy is driven by US tourism", which is not what I said. Nice try, though.;)

3. Re: passports: maybe so, but that's a thread hijack. Start your own thread. :P

4. I still think Mayor Miller is a dumb fuck for saying, "The U.S. is exporting its problem of violence to the streets of Toronto." What a crock of shit. It's little more than America-bashing for the sake of doing it.

Please understand - I really like Toronto a lot. I've traveled extensively throughout Canada. I love the country and its people. One thing I find hurtful, however, is the sporting popularity among some (not all, but some...too many...) Canadians to jump on the bandwagon of of America-bashing. I suppose I expect the Europeans to do it, but when Canadians join in, it's kind of like having your first cousins insulting you behind your back. It's hurtful, and I don't appreciate it.:(

US tourist dollars are actually a pretty fair chunk of Toronto's economy in the summer.

No it's not.

Is so.

Seriously, though, would some phrase other than "pretty fair chunk" work better? Howzabout "not insignificant portion?" My point is still made, and still valid, semantics notwithstanding.

Quoted from this (http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/12/27/canada.crime.ap/index.html) article:

"It's a sign that the lack of gun laws in the U.S. is allowing guns to flood across the border that are literally being used to kill people in the streets of Toronto,"

Assuming he is right about the lack of gun laws and the rampant illegal importation into Canada... how is the U.S. responsible for Canada's lack of border control and/or customs regulations?

What fuckin' lack of gun laws?! There are laws that govern the manufacture; the sale; the purchase; the ownership; the use of guns. We have no fucking lack of gun laws.

What he is lamenting is the fact that we have a lack of gun BANS.
And to him I say EAT SHIT, and TOO FUCKIN' BAD. Control your own scumbag shiteating criminal population, but don't blame us for your problems. We are not the cause of them.

Yeah, anti-gun shitheads are my hot-button. Sho' 'nuff!

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

put yourself in his position. the gangs are out of control. on boxing day (dec 26) 7 shots fired one innocent teenager killed in busy afternoon shopping. I would say drastic measures are needed. start by searching most of the vehicles entering the country. and finally ban handguns outright.

put yourself in his position. the gangs are out of control. on boxing day (dec 26) 7 shots fired one innocent teenager killed in busy afternoon shopping. I would say drastic measures are needed. start by searching most of the vehicles entering the country. and finally ban handguns outright.

My god I hope you're kidding.

A ban on something that they have right now in spite of not being allowed to have... Uh, yeah, that'll work. :S

We have an outright ban on heroin in this country. We have an outright ban on cocaine in this country.
We have an outright ban on crystal methamphetamine in this country.

ALL of those things can be obtained pretty damned easily if you go to the right place and meet the right person.

And you really believe that a ban on guns will succeed in ridding the world of guns?? :S

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

My god I hope you're kidding.

A ban on something that they have right now in spite of not being allowed to have... Uh, yeah, that'll work. :S

We have an outright ban on heroin in this country. We have an outright ban on cocaine in this country.
We have an outright ban on crystal methamphetamine in this country.

ALL of those things can be obtained pretty damned easily if you go to the right place and meet the right person.

And you really believe that a ban on guns will succeed in ridding the world of guns?? :S

-Jeffrey

Unlike the US, handguns are very restricted in Canada. banning them (except for police, Brinks drivers, security etc) would not be a big deal up here. The current Prime Minister made it an election promise (to get votes) and it did not piss too many people off. We are not talking about guns in general here, only handguns. The gang violence problem is ours to solve. It is our border people letting the guns in.
rm

Unlike the US, handguns are very restricted in Canada. banning them (except for police, Brinks drivers, security etc) would not be a big deal up here. The current Prime Minister made it an election promise (to get votes) and it did not piss too many people off. We are not talking about guns in general here, only handguns. The gang violence problem is ours to solve. It is our border people letting the guns in.
rm

No, the ban would not be a big deal to you, naturally, if you are not one of the people whose rightful property is outlawed by the government and then forcibly confiscated under penalty of imprisonment. :S It's easy to accept when it's not something YOU like or believe in being banned, I guess.

If the gang violence problem is yours to solve, why are you going after law-abiding people's guns? What is that gonna solve?

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Toronto has a gang problem period. Until our politicians in Canada recognize that and stop blaming the US we will not be any closer to solving it.

Violent thug fuckbags walk our streets with impunity because our police are on a much shorter leash than their American counterparts. Whenever our police take down some thug, special interest lobby groups scream about all kinds of harrasment, human rights, profiling bullshit. As a result most cops in Toronto's police force are afraid to do their jobs for fear of losing thier jobs in some kind of chickenshit abuse counterclaim. It has gotten to the point where cops patrolling in areas like regent park are routinely assaulted merely for going through the neighborhood and are afraid to do anything serious about it because lobby groups are constantly on their ass with this nonsense. Many of Toronto's cops have complained that this is the leading cause of stress on their job.

Our government seems obsessed with all kinds of feel good endeavors like sending cops into high risk neighborhoods to play basketball with local youth and all that PR bullshit. Whenever some psycho-fuckmonkey shots someone, our politicians bend over backwards with all this root cause " if only there had been a basketball court in his neighborhood when he was a kid...." blame society bullshit. They are unwilling to put the blame where it belongs which is with the assholes who are in gangs and are unwilling to " put the cock to them".

If our government where to enact some serious gang violence policies which would perhaps make these gangster shitbirds fear the system, they would face a backlash by special interest lobby groups and that would be a bad thing for them in the next election. Therefore I will not hold my breath waiting for any change. Instead I anticipate that Toronto's gang violence will continue to escalate, and the gangbangers will continue to grow bolder (being sentenced to time served is laughable as a deterrent). In the future when the heat is on our politicians about gang violence, I anticipate they will make the same old spineless excuses and.....blame the US. That is much easier than showing some balls.

My apologies to any Americans who were offended by this idiot mayors stupid comments.

Richards.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

If our government where to enact some serious gang violence policies which would perhaps make these gangster shitbirds fear the system, they would face a backlash by special interest lobby groups and that would be a bad thing for them in the next election.

It's not fear of the government and its punishments that will ever make thugs give up gang life... it's fear of what their victims will do to them.

Make a gangster fear the guy he wants to rob, make him fear the woman he wants to rape, make him fear the homeowner he wants to invade, and he will give it up. And the way to do that is to let them be armed, and give them the latitude to use those arms in legitimate defense of self and property.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Make a gangster fear the guy he wants to rob, make him fear the woman he wants to rape, make him fear the homeowner he wants to invade, and he will give it up. And the way to do that is to let them be armed, and give them the latitude to use those arms in legitimate defense of self and property.

If it was this easy, then why is there still gang/criminal problems in the US? Hey don't get me wrong, I'm not totally against some of your points. But I think a better solution is to try and raise your children into become young adults who don't think a life of crime is the way to make a living. And for those who choose a life of crime, I say throw the book at them when they get caught. I'd much rather see my tax dollars go towards the criminal justice system then what's going on right now (like stupid arrogant politicians making promises during elections which are impossible to fulfill).

If it was this easy, then why is there still gang/criminal problems in the US? Hey don't get me wrong, I'm not totally against some of your points.

Why? Because all a criminal has to do is open his ears and eyes for a moment, maybe crack a newspaper or watch 5 minutes of t.v. news to find out that LOTS OF PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO BE VICTIMS, HAVEN'T THE WILL TO FIGHT BACK, AND DEPLORE GUN OWNERSHIP. Doesn't take long for a criminal to lose his fear of those upon whom he preys when he learns that many of them won't stand up for themselves and expect others to do it for them.

And you sure talk like you're totally against some of my points.

But I think a better solution is to try and raise your children into become young adults who don't think a life of crime is the way to make a living.

Jesus Christ, do you really believe that the majority of American families are raising their kids in a way that tries to teach them that criminality is okay?!

I don't have kids to be teaching, but you bet your ass that if I did, I'd be instilling good values in them, and a strong sense of right and wrong.

WHAT is your solution for us to use HERE AND NOW?! This mealy-mouthed bullshit about "teach... your children well... and know they loooove you" is sooo nice-sounding, but really doesn't mean jack. And it helps nothing in a practical way. I guess that next week's violent crimes, next year's violent crimes, and next decade's violent crimes don't have to be dealt with: all we have to do is hold our breath for the next generation, to which we're currently trying to teach values? OH, thank heaven, 'cause I thought for a minute there that we were in deep shit.

And for those who choose a life of crime, I say throw the book at them when they get caught.

Well, we have too many liberal social engineers who would rather believe in the innate goodness of the most loathesome gang-banger, standing in the way of real, meaningful, enduring punishment for wrongdoers. They oppose long sentences. They oppose capital punishment for murderers. It really begins to seem that they value the lives of evildoers EVERY BIT as much as they value the lives of honest people who fall victim to them. And that's fucking SICK. But it seems that people like that are running the show these days.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Well it's clear that your way is your solution and it's obvious when you look at the two societies how different we are. One only needs to walk the streets of a typical large American city to see how your people treat each other. They treat each other like shit. Obviously this doesn't apply to all of America, but in many big cities there is a "don't fuck with me, don't look at me, don't even think of saying hi to me because I'm going to fuck you over if you do" attitude. I'm sorry but I would much rather live in a society where strangers are friendly to each other.

Canada has it's problems. It is by no way a perfect society. But we don't need people like you telling us how to live our lives (your last post just shows how intollerant you are to others who don't believe in your morals). So leave us alone and let us deal with our own problems. But no matter what I say, I absolutely know how you're going to respond to this. So go ahead and knock yourself out. Write that novel and tell us how superior you are. But remember ... who cares what you think? This is not your country and it's not your problem. Go solve your own country's problems before you try and solve the rest of the world's problems.

PS: Canadians should not be blaming the US for Canadian problems and stupid corrupt politicians are preying upon the fear of the ignorant masses thinking that political promises of banning handguns will actually get rid of them.

My apologies to any Americans who were offended by this idiot mayors stupid comments.

Richards.

Are you kidding?!!!!

Americans are bombarded by crap from incredibly spiteful and anti-American media people every single day, and the are American media.

The media tries very hard to make us believe that everyone in the world hates the US and have very good reason to feel that way.

They also want us to believe that everything bad in the world was caused by the US.

I think we Americans are very accustomed to hearing negative comments about our country. If we were offended, we would be highly stressed out all the time.

Seeing comments such as yours makes up for all the negative BS.

Thankyou.

Walt

Well it's clear that your way is your solution and it's obvious when you look at the two societies how different we are. One only needs to walk the streets of a typical large American city to see how your people treat each other. They treat each other like shit. Obviously this doesn't apply to all of America, but in many big cities there is a "don't fuck with me, don't look at me, don't even think of saying hi to me because I'm going to fuck you over if you do" attitude. I'm sorry but I would much rather live in a society where strangers are friendly to each other.

Are you speaking of Canada when you talk about "a society where strangers are friendly to each other"?

Because isn't this the same Canada that we're talking about having a burgeoning crime/violence/gang problem? Sounds like you could go into a Canadian city and be treated like shit (i.e. by a criminal who wants to attack you) just like you can in the U.S.

Are you really making the preposterously inane and unfounded statement that ALL or NEARLY ALL U.S. citizens living in urban areas behave toward each other as you just described? There are just NO friendly people? EVERYONE just has their head buried in their own business and has a hard, impenetrable shell of attitude around them that warns away any and all strangers? That's just absurd, dude.

Canada has it's problems. It is by no way a perfect society. But we don't need people like you telling us how to live our lives (your last post just shows how intollerant you are to others who don't believe in your morals). So leave us alone and let us deal with our own problems.

"Leave [you] alone and let [you] deal with [your] problems"?

It seems to me that your leaders are telling US that WE are the ones who should "deal with your problems." They apparently think we should live using their morals, and ban gun ownership so that we can all live in a la-la-la utopia. :S

My last post showed that I am intolerant toward criminals. And mealy-mouthed people who softpedal their response to criminals, at the greater expense to society, who then have to live with criminals among them who know they can act with relative impunity, or at least very light punishment. Any time a murderer is released from prison before he is DEAD is an insult to the whole of humanity. I read constantly of murderers leaving prison after 8 years. That makes me angry.

But no matter what I say, I absolutely know how you're going to respond to this.

Ooops, I got this far and then found out from you that it's so very wrong for me to <*GASP*> REPLY TO THIS!

I'm so sorry! What ever can I do to make it up to you?

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey

Because isn't this the same Canada that we're talking about having a burgeoning crime/violence/gang problem?

No, we were talking about Toronto, a city in Canada. I know Canada is hard to find, but look on a world map and look for the second biggest country in the world......

Hint, it is just north of your country.....

"Leave [you] alone and let [you] deal with [your] problems"?

It seems to me that your leaders are telling US that WE are the ones who should "deal with your problems." They apparently think we should live using their morals, and ban gun ownership so that we can all live in a la-la-la utopia.

Does that mean I get to judge all Americans by the statements of a few of your politicians...boy, this is going to be fun....

Didn't you guys just bury an openly racist politician who was banging a black chic on the side....

My last post showed that I am intolerant toward criminals. And mealy-mouthed people who softpedal their response to criminals, at the greater expense to society,

It is kind of funny to hear an american talk about how to bring about a reduced crime society, specially since violence is such an incredible part of American society.....

It seems to me that your leaders are telling US that WE are the ones who should "deal with your problems."

Some of us would love to see this current leadership replaced with a different group of people who aren't as corrupt as the current group holding the power. We have a federal election in a few weeks from now ... time will tell as to whether Canadians would like to see change in our leadership or if the corrupt status quo is okay by them. I hope to see change and know how I'll be voting. But I'm only one person.

I'm so sorry! What ever can I do to make it up to you?

I know what you wrote here is more sarcastic than anything else and we obviously have differences. But I've read some of the other things you've recently said in other threads and believe it or not, on some issues we're not as different than you think. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. It's just an observation.