Viking

Anyone else fasinated by WWII era Rifles?

My brother just recently bought a surplus russian Mosin Nagant rifle. Anyone else own these pieces of history?
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

:)
I might have a few...."vintage" weapons...:)

Most are usually WW1 vintage though. Most of the protagonists kept the same designs and kept producing them into WWII.
The US had the Springfields like the A3 version.. the Germans the Mauser the Italians the Carcano's in a larger caliber.. the Japanese did the same larger caliber etc.. LOT of variants were also produced.

Edited to add the link

http://world.guns.ru/rifle/rfl03-e.htm

Not many then Viking.

My mums boyfriend loves knives from WW1 and WW2.

HE has maybe 45 assorted Daggers etc etc.

His best knife is a plastic stilleto designed for Special forces to be carried undeteced.

He also has a plastic dagger which is the size of a credit card.

These type of knives could be carried onto an airplane without being detected.

www.myspace.com/durtymac

I like M-1 garands. Too bad they are so heavy, but they shoot well. I wouldn't mind owning one.

My step-father has a M-1 carbine that he plans to leave me when he passes on. I've never shot one, but it might be a nice weapon for target shooting. I doubt if I'd hunt with it though.

I've fired thompson machine guns, grease guns, etc. but never cared for them much.

I've fired a 1911 45 cal. pistol in the military. The ones we used were all shot out and you had trouble even hitting the target at five meters. I know lot's of people are fans of 1911 45's so I won't say they are a piece of crap. I think I need to shoot one that has been reworked....

I guess I'm not a real big fan of WWII weapons because I don't own any.

But give me a Remington 700... in a laminated stock, with a 3X9 Leupold.....then float the barrel, adjust the trigger, glass bed the action, work up the right hand load, and I'd be a happy shooter.

But then again that set up isn't good for home defense. Give me a short-barrelled-pump, 12 -guage shotgun for that. Or maybe the right revolver. But I do like auto pistols too.

But that's no good for birds. I'd like to have a couple other shotguns for that.

Oh hell, I need a long list of guns to make me happy.....Steve1

To take a Granny down, you need one of these....................

This will take out French Grannies, Welsh Grannies, Scottish Grannies and even your own Granny.

Its a bit of a point and hope but hey your sure to hit a granny

www.myspace.com/durtymac

I used to have a copy of the M-1 carbine rifle used by US Army troops. I had a lot of fun shooting it at the range and could strip it down, clean it and reassemble in a fair amount of time.

I did get bored with it though... sold it off. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Yes. I've owned dozens in the past but a few years back scaled down to just a 1916 SMLE MkIII* (which saw service in both wars). Love that rifle.

I still hold a relatively large collection of world war bayonets though. Give one to a militaria whuffo and tell them to just look at the lines of it and 9 times out of 10 they'll be able to tell which country it was from if you help them along by prompting them to think about the way they perceive the countries involved.

For example, take a German bayonet from the 98k and it will be black with crisp rigid lines, highly defined fuller, angular pommel and finely machined press stud and lug. This will all match their pre-conceptions about what they might expect that nation to churn out.

It will work for all the nations too if you talk them through it. They're generally surprised by how such a simple item can be a window onto the national psyche of whole countries and so thoroughly mirror the artwork of the time too.

The pride and joy of my collection used to be a BREN gun complete with air drop canister and accessories but I sold that a few years ago. Briefly had numerous other small arms and machine pistols too.

Used to make a little money in the game.

I like historical military style firearms too.
I think the M1 Carbine is just cute!! I have one or two in my collection. The M1 Garand is a nice gun too - but they bite. (I used it on the drill team when I was inn ROTC and during a toss - from an overzealous cadet in front of me, the front site of one took a chunck out of my forehead)
But I agree... they are pieces of history.