pop

Miami - man killed on plane

i think some people wish I was at an airport sometimes :P

Only if you also screamed, "Hey motherfuckers, I've got a bomb and I'm going to kill all of you......Bonzai!!!!" :P

why would i tell them i've got a minature japenese tree? :S i could alternatively shout banzaiiiii ;)

Holy Crab, once I said to myself: Never ever reply to his posts again :D:D:D

It's called BONSAI!!

:D:D

dudeist skydiver # 3105

No one has defended the idiot. I just wish the idiot didn't have to die. It's a shame. If you don't feel bad for someone for losing their life who wasn't really a threat, than I feel bad for you, too.

There was a threat and it was dealt with properly.

That's not true. There was the PERCEPTION of a threat...and that WAS dealt with properly. But no real threat existed and therefore a man died for no good reason. There is no blame on the cop (again). But there WAS NO threat.

Defining terms.

threat

1. An expression of an intention to inflict pain, injury, evil, or punishment.

2. An indication of impending danger or harm.

3.One that is regarded as a possible danger; a menace.

I think we've got the beginning of our own comedy act, ReBirth.

Edited to add: I do understand that you're not blaming the cop.
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

so here i am in the philly airport, dealing w/ incompetent US-Scair employees... CNN is saying now the dude was bipolar. Dunno if y'all posted that already, haven't read the whole thread.

Naturally, the atmosphere here in the terminal is a little... jumpy...

-the artist formerly known as sinker

Yeah...he posted the definition earlier. I was thinking of threat in terms of threat assessment and planning for disaster recovery and business continuity. You don't plan for perceived threats, just real ones.

There, I just corrected myself. There are perceived threats and real threats. Two different types of threats. That's the point I was making. The cop reacted to the perceived threat. It's a shame that someone had to die since it was not a real threat. But the cop didn't and couldn't know the difference in the time he has to react.

so here i am in the philly airport, dealing w/ incompetent US-Scair employees... CNN is saying now the dude was bipolar. Dunno if y'all posted that already, haven't read the whole thread.

Check out the bookstore...a couple weeks ago there was a novel that looked interesting....about a plane being blown up by terrorists!!! I'm not kidding.

"It was quite scary," she told the TV station via a cell phone. "They wouldn't let you move. They wouldn't let you get anything out of your bag."

Woman commenting about what happened immediately after they thought someone was trying to blow up the plane. :S:S

What did she need to do that required getting in her bag right then? Reapply her lipstick?

What did she need to do that required getting in her bag right then? Reapply her lipstick?

Seesh. No, she wanted to get her cell phone and call the TV station.

BTW, ReBirth, I completely got your point.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Municipal police forces get special training on identifying and handling the mentally ill. Perhaps the Air Marshals should get that training, too.

Even if they could have identified him as mentally ill, would that have meant he didn't have a bomb? Mentally ill people can be a danger too.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

Check out the bookstore...a couple weeks ago there was a novel that looked interesting....about a plane being blown up by terrorists!!! I'm not kidding.

no bookstore in F terminal. just a snack shop w/ magazines... sad.

-the artist formerly known as sinker

no bookstore in F terminal. just a snack shop w/ magazines... sad.

You always seem to find a way to entertain yourself. :D

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

After the shooting, investigators spread passengers' bags on the tarmac and let dogs sniff them for explosives, and bomb squad members blew up at least two bags.

[epilogue]

When police noted expensive looking, non-bomb related obejects flying through the air, they grabbed their collars with their index fingers and pulled them to the side stating, "eeehhhh."

Passengers were told their luggage was simply lost in transit and were only offered $100 because they did not purchase additional coverage.

Officer Spot McHound, who had barked at the bags that were subsequently destroyed, was not available for comment.

One more time...sigh...I agree that the cop did what he should and what he's there for. I just think it's a damn shame that we are so on edge that we have to immediately shoot people that we perceive as threats because there's a good chance they are an actual threat. And I clearly blamed the terrorists for that in my first post. We need to recognize, though, that part of the damage they inflicted on us is the fact that we have to be more aggressive and therefore may kill those that don't really need killing.

If 9/11 had never happened, there is a good possibility this would have happened anyway. Prior to 9/11, passengers considered to be a threat by the crew, were still greeted by the law when getting off the plane.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

After the shooting, investigators spread passengers' bags on the tarmac and let dogs sniff them for explosives, and bomb squad members blew up at least two bags.

If the truffles and Brunello I was packing to Chicago from my trip to Tuscany last week had gotten blown up the marshalls would have had to shoot me too. All hounds are truffle hounds despite their pitiful attempts to disguise themselves and project impartiality :|

Blutarsky 2008. No Prisoners!

michele im only replying this to you because i think you understand..

people, bipolar is a VERY serious brain disorder. aprox, 10-15% of bipolar peeps commit suicide. usually based upon a clouded judgment of reality itself. it has many levels, from psychic's, to psychotic's. it is very tough to deal with, im lucky to be one that it isnt too severe, but it is pretty bad.

the cop, of course did the right thing. it is unfortunately just something the cop, and we as a people are going to have to expect. i can relate to this guy going off like this, i usually have a better grip on reality than this guy, but i can see it happening if someone allows it.

it will happen again, the right thing was done. poor guy is dead, poor cop has to live with killing him.

i congratulate the cop for doing his job and making a decision in a panic situation. the same one i probably would have made...

I agree that the cop did his job. By the way, technically speaking, he was an air marshall.

Air marshalls receive some of the most stringent small fire-arms training, so you can bet your ass they won't miss when they fire. This is especially useful in case a situation flares up while the plane is enroute AND pressurized...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Marks, I do understand. Very well, although my particular brain disease isn't bipolar. I am glad to hear you've got somewhat of a handle on it; it can be one of the hardest illnesses to diagnose, let alone get properly medicated for.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

The bare facts are:

Man claims possession of a bomb in his case.
Man attempts to board aircraft.
Man refuses to stop when challenged.
Man reaches inside case (where bomb is supposed to be).

Facts. Kinda like the london subway shooting where it was a "fact" that he was jumping a turnstile, running and wearing a bulky jacket when in video surveillance revealed he had a light denim jacket and was walking calmly.

Glad to see you'll believe anything people say after they double tapped someones ass. Guess you think OJ's innocent too?

Gotta go... plaything needs to spank me
Feel the hate...
Photos here

If 9/11 had never happened, there is a good possibility this would have happened anyway. Prior to 9/11, passengers considered to be a threat by the crew, were still greeted by the law when getting off the plane.

Pre 9/11, it's likely nobody would have had to die.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Blues,
Dave

And you know this because...

A.) You're an air marshall who was only trained to shoot to kill AFTER 9/11
B.) No one bombed or hijacked a plane pre-9/11, so there would not have been a quick and deadly response to this "joke"
C.) You're pulling this out of your butt

;) (not trying to offend, but that was a bogus statement)

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Blues,
Dave

And you know this because...

A.) You're an air marshall who was only trained to shoot to kill AFTER 9/11
B.) No one bombed or hijacked a plane pre-9/11, so there would not have been a quick and deadly response to this "joke"
C.) You're pulling this out of your butt

;) (not trying to offend, but that was a bogus statement)

Pre 9/11 there were what, 35 air marshalls in the entire country?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

so there would not have been a quick and deadly response to this "joke"

God-damnit people this wasn't a joke - the guy was fucking bipolar.

That may not affect whether or not the air marshal as right to shoot but it certainly affects how much we can hold the deceased at fault for his own actions.

Blame him for not taking his meds maybe, but quit trying to put this whole thing down to a dumbass making a crap joke.