pop

Miami - man killed on plane

Well..this proves we're safer from dumbasses who aren't a threat in the first place.

How would you know that if you were in his/her situation? Have you some sort of "tell if this dumbass is for real or not" device? Do you think it's prudent to give them the benefit of the doubt, especially on a plane. You know....where, if you're wrong, everybody's dead in a split second?

I'm not blaming the cop at all. I'm sure he did what he had to do given the circumstances. I'm just saying I don't feel any safer because a guy who wasn't really a threat was stopped from doing....well...nothing.

It shows we're more attuned to those situations now. It demonstrates that the countermeasures we have in place work. It's a check in the "win" category even if the threat was a fake. Call it a "live drill" if you want. It shows that if you want to play, you might just get shot. Ups the stakes of the game.

Well..this proves we're safer from dumbasses who aren't a threat in the first place.

It turns out he's not a dumbass, but was infact bipolar. He was off his medication because it was checked in his bagage, which of course he couldn't get to.

Irony. It's kind of like Iron.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-ap-airplane-shooting,0,572760.story?coll=chi-newsbreaking-hed

_Am

Of course....it's the cops fault he wasn't on his medication or that he couldn't get to it. Unbelievable! :D

The guy said he had a bomb in his bag, then reached into the bag. I don't care if he was joking or not, the cop did the right thing. Same situation if I said I had a gun in a bank, then reached inside my coat...any person with balls would do something at that point, and shooting me wouldn't be a wrong decision. Inaction gets people killed, action saves lives.

It shows me that the terrorists got us on edge so much that we're mistakenly killing out own people. Again, not blaming the cop. But I don't consider this a good thing.

It's a good shoot even if the guy didn't have a bomb. The threat was there. If I threatened that I had a bomb on a plane, I'd fully expect to get shot and taken down. You should too.

It turns out he's not a dumbass, but was infact bipolar. He was off his medication because it was checked in his bagage, which of course he couldn't get to.

Irony. It's kind of like Iron.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-ap-airplane-shooting,0,572760.story?coll=chi-newsbreaking-hed

_Am

Of course....it's the cops fault he wasn't on his medication or that he couldn't get to it. Unbelievable! :D

I must have missed it. Where did AndyMan place blame? It seems to me that he simply related sad circumstances that factored into the situation.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

The guy said he had a bomb in his bag, then reached into the bag. I don't care if he was joking or not, the cop did the right thing. Same situation if I said I had a gun in a bank, then reached inside my coat...any person with balls would do something at that point, and shooting me wouldn't be a wrong decision. Inaction gets people killed, action saves lives.

You're damn right! I doubt seriously whether some of these "idiot defenders" ("idiot" referring to the guy who made the threat on the plane; "defenders" being some of the posters here) have been in a life or death situation where your point would be proven.

You guys are distorting THE HELL out of the story!

He wasn't shot for making a joke!

He said he had a bomb in his luggage. Then he ran down the aisle and exited the plane with the marshalls in pursuit. Then not only did he refuse to stop when ordered to, he kept going and reached into his handbag!

Fuck, guys. Way to twist a story just to gripe about cops doing their job.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

<>

Strange, are you reading a different thread to me... No one said it was the cops fault, medication or not.

But it seems to me... we can strike one up for the terrorists... they got us all paranoid... and that is just plain stupid.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Again...the cop did the right thing (from what I read). Do I need to put that disclaimer on every post?

There was a perceived threat, not an actual threat. The cop followed his perception, which is his only perogative. But the guy didn't need to be killed to stop a threat, because there wasn't one, just the perception of one.

One more time...I don't blame the cop. But I still wish it hadn't happened, and I'll bet the cop does too.

Psychotropic medication just doesn't work like that.

Say I forget to take my dose. If I had been taking it regularly, there is enough in my system to keep me balanced until I had a chance to take the next dose. Similarly, if you take a dose, it doesn't mean you'll automatically calm down and be balanced again. It can take weeks to reach the proper level of dosage...weeks. And it can take weeks to have it completely leave your system. It's not like a valium, or other sedative. It just doesn't work that way.

If someone was yelling about having a bomb in a bag, and then reaches for that bag, it's pretty clear there is a clear and present danger. The air marshalls did the correct thing.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

But it seems to me... we can strike one up for the terrorists... they got us all paranoid... and that is just plains stupid.

Not at all. That Fed Agent should be taken out to dinner, bought a beer, and given an award for his actions today. He did his job. It tells me that the threat will be taken seriously in the future.

Say I forget to take my dose. If I had been taking it regularly, there is enough in my system to keep me balanced until I had a chance to take the next dose. Similarly, if you take a dose, it doesn't mean you'll automatically calm down and be balanced again. It can take weeks to reach the proper level of dosage...weeks. And it can take weeks to have it completely leave your system. It's not like a valium, or other sedative. It just doesn't work that way.

If someone was yelling about having a bomb in a bag, and then reaches for that bag, it's pretty clear there is a clear and present danger. The air marshalls did the correct thing.

Ciels-
Michele

I don't know how the meds work. It doesn't matter and that's beside the point. Who cares. There was a threat and it was dealt with properly.

No one has defended the idiot. I just wish the idiot didn't have to die. It's a shame. If you don't feel bad for someone for losing their life who wasn't really a threat, than I feel bad for you, too.

There was a threat and it was dealt with properly.

That's not true. There was the PERCEPTION of a threat...and that WAS dealt with properly. But no real threat existed and therefore a man died for no good reason. There is no blame on the cop (again). But there WAS NO threat.

Ciels-
Michele

are you speaking from experience? have you been a nutter ? just wondering how you know so much :)

he kept going and reached into his handbag!

so... now it turns out he was in drag !!!! :P

You know, a smart-ass comment is okay once in a while, sometimes they're even funny, but can you give it a rest? Does every one of your posts have to be like that?

hey !!! i'm sorry... don't shoot !

You guys are distorting THE HELL out of the story!

He wasn't shot for making a joke!

He said he had a bomb in his luggage. Then he ran down the aisle and exited the plane with the marshalls in pursuit. Then not only did he refuse to stop when ordered to, he kept going and reached into his handbag!

Fuck, guys. Way to twist a story just to gripe about cops doing their job.

Slow down, guy. I truly hope the few "sky marshalls" we presently have, would exactly do the same. No questions, no discussion, wrong place for jokes. If the guy is looking like a menace, he has to be treated like one. Period.

:|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

There was a perceived threat, not an actual threat. The cop followed his perception, which is his only perogative. But the guy didn't need to be killed to stop a threat, because there wasn't one, just the perception of one.

That all depends on the type of threat. If some guy claims to have a bomb on a plane (very different and more serious situation), how are you to know what kind it is or what type of activation device you're dealing with? How would you make a decision whether to wound or kill? I'll tell you right now, if I had a question in my mind or was unclear, that guy's not going to recover. Too many lives are at stake.

Paj, sorry about that. I just read through the thread, and posted to the last person to add my reply. Not directed at you, just in a general sense. I am certain that missing a dose of medication did not precipitate this whatsoever, and I agree, it's a clean shoot. I hate to call it a "good" shoot, because imho no shooting is ever good...but it was indeed clean.

Ian, in your own charming, sociopathic way, you asked...

are you speaking from experience? have you been a nutter ? just wondering how you know so much

Could it possibly be that I know so much because it's my line of work? Or maybe because someone near and dear to me has a brain illness? Does it have to be because I'm a "nutter"?

Frankly, how I know is not your business, but yes, I have a chemical imbalance which affects my ability to think and to assess reality in a proper way. When the chemicals are balanced (as they have been for years), I'm just as competent as anyone else (and in some cases, moreso.). If I go off my medication, then yes, there is a risk for problems. Thankfully, I'm just fine.

Is your prurient curiousity satisfied?

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

That's not true. There was the PERCEPTION of a threat...and that WAS dealt with properly. But no real threat existed and therefore a man died for no good reason. There is no blame on the cop (again). But there WAS NO threat.

There didn't have to be an actual bomb for there to have been a threat

1. An expression of an intention to inflict pain, injury, evil, or punishment.
2. An indication of impending danger or harm.
3. One that is regarded as a possible danger; a menace.