pop

Miami - man killed on plane

Not killed, wounded.

-----------------------
MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- A person was shot and wounded on the Jetway to an American Airlines passenger jet that was at the terminal at Miami International Airport, an airline official said.

A federal official told CNN that the passenger was shot by a federal air marshal, who felt the passenger was acting in a threatening manner. A senior administration official added that the passenger claimed to have a bomb in his carry-on luggage.

An air marshal told the passenger to stop, and he did not, the official said, adding that the marshal fired after the passenger reached into his carry-on bag.

The weapon was fired on the Jetway to Flight 924, which was on a stopover in Miami during a flight from Medellin, Colombia, to Orlando, Florida, police said.

The Boeing 757, which can hold about 180 passengers, was due to take off for Orlando at 2:18 p.m. ET.

Footage from the scene showed police cars and what appeared to be SWAT vehicles surrounding the plane. Several officers wielding rifles were running toward and around the plane.

www.sun-sentinel.com is claiming he was shot to death:

Air marshal reportedly shoots man to death at Miami airport

sun-sentinel.com & news partner NBC 6
Posted December 7 2005, 3:04 PM EST

MIAMI -- A passenger was shot on a jetway leading to an American Airlines plane during some sort of struggle with a federal air marshal at Miami International Airport, according a law enforcement official who spoke only on condition of anonymity.

News partner NBC 6 reported that a person was shot to death after some sort of bomb threat was made or indicated.

NBC 6 also reported that the person who was shot apparently was reaching into a bag of some sort on the jetway when fired upon by an air marshal.

Two armed air marshals were reported on the plane at the time.

The plane had just arrived from Colombia and was headed on to Orlando.

It was unclear whether the shot was fired during the course of a struggle between the marshal and the passenger or whether the marshal had fired the weapon to stop the passenger.

Television showed police SWAT officers surrounding the plane.

Flight 924 from American Airlines was en route from Medellin, Colombia, to Orlando and had made a scheduled stop at Miami International Airport when the shooting was reported inside the plane, which was at Concourse D shortly after 2 p.m.

Concourse D was reopened to other traffic around 3 p.m.

The plane, a 737, had been scheduled to take off for Orlando at 2:18 p.m. for a 30 to 40 minute flight.

The American Airlines site says the flight status is delayed.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

Seems pretty simple...

Signs posted all over most airports: Any jokes or comments about the presence of firearms, explosives, etc, will be taken seriously and violators may be prosecuted, and so on

It's been this way for years, even pre-9/11, but especially now...

Darwinism is alive and well. Bet he didn't think they'd pop a cap in his stupid ass though...

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Any jokes or comments about the presence of firearms, explosives, etc, will be taken seriously...

Yep.

Airline security's made it VERY clear that it has no sense of humour whatsoever.:| So don't waste time telling your idea of a joke to them.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Well..this proves we're safer from dumbasses who aren't a threat in the first place.

How would you know that if you were in his/her situation? Have you some sort of "tell if this dumbass is for real or not" device? Do you think it's prudent to give them the benefit of the doubt, especially on a plane. You know....where, if you're wrong, everybody's dead in a split second?

Well..this proves we're safer from dumbasses who aren't a threat in the first place.

How would you know that if you were in his/her situation? Have you some sort of "tell if this dumbass is for real or not" device? Do you think it's prudent to give them the benefit of the doubt, especially on a plane. You know....where, if you're wrong, everybody's dead in a split second?

hey, you can't take a chance can you... better to shoot somebody dead who even looks suspicious i say

Infact, lets just shoot all arabs at airports, better safe than sorry :S

Once again ... Darwin in action.

Some people deserve a damed good slapping (but they don't deserve to get shot, just for being wankers... otherwise the world's got a lot of dead men walking:P)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

hey, you can't take a chance can you... better to shoot somebody dead who even looks suspicious i say

He threatened that he had a bomb on a plane. He wasn't just making a joke about his ethnicity. I would have shot him no matter where he came from if he said that. They can't afford to take chances anymore. Maybe others like him will think twice now about catching a case of the dumbass while at the airport or in an airplane.

He threatened that he had a bomb on a plane. He wasn't just making a joke about his ethnicity. I would have shot him no matter where he came from if he said that. They can't afford to take chances anymore. Maybe others like him will think twice now about catching a case of the dumbass while at the airport or in an airplane.

you genuinly believe somebody deserves to die for cracking a joke ?

Right....
But...
But...

[sarcasm] Wild man Howard Dean says we're no safer today than before 9-11. The response to a threat today can't count for anything. [/sarcasm]

We didn't have air marshalls before 9-11?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

you genuinly believe somebody deserves to die for cracking a joke ?

Of course not. But there are certain things you're not allowed to joke about. That being one of them. Your freedom of speech and expression isn't limitless (e.g. yelling fire in an auditorium when there isn't a fire). Lives are at stake.

I'm not blaming the cop at all. I'm sure he did what he had to do given the circumstances. I'm just saying I don't feel any safer because a guy who wasn't really a threat was stopped from doing....well...nothing.

Right....
But...
But...

[sarcasm] Wild man Howard Dean says we're no safer today than before 9-11. The response to a threat today can't count for anything. [/sarcasm]

We didn't have air marshalls before 9-11?

Blues,
Dave

You don't think we're more attuned to terrorism than we were before 9-11?

It turns out he's not a dumbass, but was infact bipolar. He was off his medication because it was checked in his bagage, which of course he couldn't get to.

Irony. It's kind of like Iron.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-ap-airplane-shooting,0,572760.story?coll=chi-newsbreaking-hed

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.