hairyjuan

what is war really about?

I think it is who you talk to. For the grunts on the ground, its about their buddy. Beyond that its about national security, money gained, money spent (jobs and money spent with companies providing for the war effort), dominating a position in the world and completing the cycle of history.

An aside would be that people typically don't think about the cycle of history, where we've been/where we're going, but its a large part of war and the reasons for war. If you study history you'll see jaded views of why war was faught and what the outcome of the war was (espcially to the outcome of our history leading to our current era). Even the wars faught a thousand years ago have a direct link to how our society functions today.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Follow the money.

Amplify, please - unless this is just a regurgitation of the liberal mantra.

There's not been a war yet that has MADE money for the U.S.

Surely! While one must go outside of the history books (approved where?? :) used in our public schools, individuals in power, and corporations have ALWAYS made enormous profits from wars ...and will make enormous profits from the current one also.

Here's a link to an article entitled: "War is a Racket" written by Major General Smedley D. Butler, USMC (Ret):

http://lexrex.com/enlightened/articles/warisaracket.htm

So, are we, as Americans, profiting? Not a bit of it. Our leaders however ...

To bring it closer to home, let's talk about the Bush family profits. Since the 1930's,
what we have seen is a familiar-dynastic progression of "leaders" who have done all they can
to promote and further warfare - with the intention of generating
supra-profits and accompanying influence and power for those close to the
Bush family.

Like I said, follow the money.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

Ah, ok... so it *WAS* pretty much the liberal mantra, then...

Yes, companies involved in the manufacture of war materiel will make more profit during times of war. More production = more profits, after all. Anyone invested in those companies will see increased dividend payments or stock prices. Again, simple math as above.

There are millions of people invested in those companies. If you wish me to believe that Bush started a war to make money off his stock portfolio, you're going to have to come up with some *hard* proof, and I don't mean "he has DuPont, AM General and U.S. Steel holdings in his portfolio", either.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Ah, ok... so it *WAS* pretty much the liberal mantra, then...

Yes, companies involved in the manufacture of war materiel will make more profit during times of war. More production = more profits, after all. Anyone invested in those companies will see increased dividend payments or stock prices. Again, simple math as above.

There are millions of people invested in those companies. If you wish me to believe that Bush started a war to make money off his stock portfolio, you're going to have to come up with some *hard* proof, and I don't mean "he has DuPont, AM General and U.S. Steel holdings in his portfolio", either.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You kidding?

How long would the depression have lasted if WW2 hadn't come along?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

You kidding?reply]

No, he's from texas.
-----------------------

You kidding?reply]

No, he's from texas.

So, you *don't* have hard proof.... just rhetoric and innuendo...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You kidding?

How long would the depression have lasted if WW2 hadn't come along?

Yes and no, think about the complete circle. The depression ended due to the jobs created, men in the military, men in the workforce and now *gasp* women in the workforce. (:P) How were those jobs paid for? The government, how did the government pay for the jobs by buying material? They did so by instating a federal income tax. People were only able to pay for the federal income tax due to their new found jobs. It was a vicious circle. I'm also leaving out the part about the US going into debt and borrowing large amounts of money to jumpstart their war effort. The US economy came out strong, the government came out a different government, but it by no means actually MADE money in the since that the liberal propagandists try to proport the gulf war is making money. Knowing more about history then what is shown on the history channel will help. Unfortunately it seems that just about every horn blowing liberal I've run into gets lost very quickly in the details of history. Its those details that made society what it is today and is why we're where we are today, they don't understand that.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You kidding?reply]

No, he's from texas.

Hehe, god bless you honey, you are indeed a texan. Pass, thanks.
-----------------------

You kidding?reply]

No, he's from texas.

Hehe, god bless you honey, you are indeed a texan. Pass, thanks.

Ah, straight to the condescention...par for the course!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

U.S. weapons manufacturers make an ungodly amount of money. The people who profit from weapons, I am sure, pray for war and destruction. Without it, they are out of a job and so are the people they employe to work on the assembly lines. It is ashame that the world does not put as much effort into the labor of creating peace as it does into creating new conflict.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Quote:
We dare not forget today that we are the heirs of that first revolution. Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans—born in this century, tempered by war, disciplined by a hard and bitter peace, proud of our ancient heritage—and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of those human rights to which this Nation has always been committed, and to which we are committed today at home and around the world.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

To those peoples in the huts and villages across the globe struggling to break the bonds of mass misery, we pledge our best efforts to help them help themselves, for whatever period is required—not because the Communists may be doing it, not because we seek their votes, but because it is right. If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.
My oh my, how far we have descended since the days of John F. Kennedy...

I'm also leaving out the part about the US going into debt and borrowing large amounts of money to jumpstart their war effort. The US economy came out strong, the government came out a different government, but it by no means actually MADE money

This here is pretty much what I meant. The massive economic gain by the US during and after the war. Also, you note the borrowing made by the US, but don't forget the massive debts incurred by allied nations through purchase and lend-lease of war materials, and the huge flow of free technology to america 'for the greater good'. At the end of the day, the US benefited.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Depends on what level you're looking at. The reasons are completely different for a politician than a soldier. And to the money argument...yeah, a few old guys make a nice buck, but to say the US as a state makes a ton off war...get off the crack pipe. It costs a fuckload to run a war, as we all know. The US isn't making that money back and then some, no matter how many damn rifles Colt puts out or how many jets Lockheed puts in the air. We're not making enough billions to match the billions we've spent. That's just what war is, and I don't think that's a solid reason to not go to war, just pointing out the economical facts.