JohnRich

San Francisco Gun Ban

have seen on documentaries of one other group that decided to make everyone register and keep such tabs on gun ownership.

You can get a little more recent than that. Take a look at Chicago and New York City.

Yup...the Sullivan laws... forced the owners to register...then, when they passed a ban, used the information to confiscate the weapons.

Edit: As a matter of fact, Cali did that just a few years back with so-called "assault weapons", as well...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I believe the house rules for dz.com are that if you invoke Godwin, you automatically lose the argument.

"Godwin's Law" is just a piss-poor excuse to claim "victory" when someone doesn't have any logic or facts to rebut an argument. It's actually a sign of losing the debate.

Healthy debate often involves comparing something to extreme examples, and Hitler's regime is the most prominent of such in recent history. Such analogies are useful in examining certain things.

But other extreme examples can also certainly be found: Pol Pot, the Japanese occupation of countries in WWII, Idi Amin, and so forth. Yet analogies to these alternatives don't prompt a similar declaration of "victory". And no one proposes a whole list of things that can't be mentioned in a debate, as that would be ludicrous.

If they don't like someone's comparison to Hitler or Nazis, they should refute it with facts and logic.

So the whole "Godwin's Law" thing is bullshit, and anyone who claims "victory" with it really doesn't have an argument.

We'll call this "Rich's Law": anyone who claims victory with "Godwin's Law", is automatically the loser.

Dude, we are you side on this one. Being serious all the time is a killer.

Comparing San Fran to the Nazis is just a TAD silly.

But I guess that since ReBirth claimed the Law and I seconded (or maybe I did it first without knowing the name), we lose. And we are for a removal of the ban, so I guess the ban stays. See what you just did with your new law? Sucks huh? :ph34r::ph34r:
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

"Godwin's Law" is just a piss-poor excuse to claim "victory" when someone doesn't have any logic or facts to rebut an argument. It's actually a sign of losing the debate.

These days, some truth to it. But as it evolved in USENET, it was definitely the nazi caller that was being the lazy one.

I personally don't like the use of Germany in the 30s as a defense for gun rights because it seemed like the German people marched right into that mess, eager to escape the depression of the 20s. I don't think having guns would have lead to an rebellion when nationalism was so strong there (and for that matter, in most of the world's powers).

So yes, I think invoking that image in history in response to the SF election is a Godwin violation.

>We'll call this "Rich's Law" . . .

Summary:

Dammit! I wanna use the Nazis!

Reminds me of a line from the Sarah Silverman show:

----------------------
Nazis are assholes. And I'll be the first one to say it, cause I'm edgy. They’re cute when they’re little. Why can’t they just stay small?

But the Holocaust isn’t always funny. And I will tell you something that I truly believe - that if black people were in Germany during World War II, the Holocaust would have never happened. At least not to Jews.
-----------------

The Swiss are smaller and more homogeneous. They feel connected to each other, with a common country to defend.

You obviously have never been there and have no clue what you are talking about....

To you and the others who are bashing me on my "homogeneous" comment:

Gosh, it's amazing that Switzerland isn't in the middle of a Civil War with all those nationalities all intermixed together!

But wait, they haven't fought a war since the 1500's. Hmmm... So could it be that even though they come from different backgrounds, that there really is something in common?

Maybe there are other ways to be homogeneous that JohnRich was referring to, other than nationality. Maybe he meant things such as education, literacy, social status, economic status and so on. You know, the things that apply towards crime rate, which is the subject of this discussion. Do you suppose that's what he meant?

Ah heck, that would require thinking and insight. It's much easier to just knee-jerk bash John. Get him!