EricTheRed

Will he be perceived as the messenger of God?

Are you familiar with the present tense?

Certainly, but I said "history". Why choose to ignore that? If Viet Nam history isn't enough, how about Sri Lanka, Japan. (yes, I know they have other religions besides buddhism)

All religions allow for self defense. When you are on someone elses turf with guns and bombs - it's OK for them to whack you.

Not according to Jesus Christ's teaching (He was a pacifist, even if his followers were not)

Have you heard of Mai Lai?

yeah, atrocities like that NEVER happened in South Africa. Your point? How does THAT reflect on Buddhist particpating in wars too?

Incidently, the population of Vietnam is only 9.3% Buddhist according to their 1999 census, the rest being Catholic, Hoa Hao, Cao Dai, Protestant, Muslim and those with no religeon.

Again, I said HISTORY -- they were 70-90% Buddhist in the 50s & 60s according to every statistic I could find

How's that Vietnam history working for you?

Not good, your comments reflect present day Viet Nam, not historical Viet Nam

Incidently, it's Vietnam, not Viet Nam.

"Vietnam"- a single word-is the Westernized spelling of "Viet Nam." Viet Nam is how the Vietnamese themselves refer to their country.

Vietnamese is a monosyllabic language, and all its words consist of one syllable, according to my good friend Hu Le, whose father was the police chief in Hue during the Tet offensive.

Steve, you can argue all you like about the warlike behavior of Buddhists - but historically they do not have a reputation that involves events like the crusades, the inquisition, 9-11, etc. Those who beleive in heaven, and in God being on their side are the ones who have committed histories most terrible attrocities.

I think you also confuse fighting for Nationalism or Ideology with fighting for religion.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Well, I agree with that to some degree. Historically Buddhist have never fought a war over religous principles. People love to bring up the crusades when they talk about Christians. Give me a break. While I'm not their judge, the actions of the Kings and crusaders were NOT in line with Christ's teachings. Neither is a lot of stuff that goes on in the name of Christianity.

Tonto, I may have misunderstood your implication, as I thought you were implying Buddhist will not fight in a war.

Hey, but I was right about "Viet Nam" ;)

Hey, but I was right about "Viet Nam" ;)

That you were.

As WW2 showed, Shinto, some Zen and a bit of Buddhism combined into an emperor cult showed that Buddhists can fight hard.

A history of Martial arts and a dash of Daoism has also provided the skills to be able to fight but is restricted in a kind of personal nuclear deterence way.

East Timor, Sri Lanka and a few other hot spots do exist, but as one of the "Big 4" the body counts are not really comparable.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

yeah but if I'm talking about Germany with a bunch of folks who speak English I'm gonna call it "Germany" not "Deutschland".

Then again... I'm pretty sure "Vietnam" or "Viet nam" doesn't actually look anything like either of them in Vietnamese if you want to get really picky.

:PB|

Historically Buddhist have never fought a war over religous principles

In my understanding, Buddha was Hindu royalty that got sick of the the killing. Hindus would conquer an area, then pacify them by saying "Ok, your gods are our gods". Maybe that has something to do with the layed back attitude.
We are all engines of karma

As far as I can figure no one that is fighting a war is following Christ's teachings.

But everyone that goes to war seems to pray a lot. I understand that they pray for many things, including strength and victory.

If they are in fact Christians, and therefore followers of Christ, shouldn't the only thing that Christians involved in a war pray for be forgiveness for not following His teachings.

I am not a religious scholar but this is just how it seems to me.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

IMHO you are more right than wrong. A lengthy discussion about Christians, war, and their role in government would entail if I were to comment further. I have a Masters in Theology and despise arguing religion. It is worthless in my opiniion. I'm some of a ignigma as I was in SF and so is my son. I support him and all our troops, but I feel war for the most part is extremely unnecessary. Again, it is a weighty subject and I'm not willing to delve into that online (I type very slow -- hunt and peck) Its way too frustrating. Stop by SDA and after some good jumps we can "discuss" it. ;)
peace!

I very much agree with you about arguing religion being worthless.

Its an emotional issue. People believe what they believe and are unlikely to change their beliefs.

None the less, if we ever cross paths I will very much enjoy sharing a beer with you anytime. :):)
BTW, I enjoyed DZ Comics - great job!
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Incidently, it's Vietnam, not Viet Nam...

Well you might want to check with the United Nations, the International Standards Organization (ISO) and others before you declare that.

Also their religious makeup today and 35 to 55 years ago might be a little different. Might be the same too but maybe you should check first.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes