wmw999

Hurricane Evacuation

...so anyway...away from politics for a moment and back to hurricanes...

There are people who left NO to go to Texas.
If this doesn't give you a complex, nuthin' will.

"The hurricanes...they are coming for me again...God hates me..."
:D

Something to do with the "red" states?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Every element is in place for this hurricane to become a strong 3 to a 5. Yes the paths are unpredictable but the National Weather Service is getting more accurate with these storms. Maybe starting an early evacuation will make it a less stressful evacuation.

I remember back in '85 when I lived on Long Island, Hurricane Gloria was bearing down on us as a Cat. 4. Only coastal regions were evacuated as it is impossible to evacuate Long Island. Meanwhile, a Cat 4 hitting LI would probably make the devastation in the Gulf Coast look minor. Fortunately for us, shortly before the hurricane hit land a cool front from the north came in breaking up the eye and speeding the beast up. We got hit with a 2 instead. Most of the damage was on the Atlantic coast with widespread tree damage and power outages.

On the plus side the Katrina evacuees who were still in the Astro Dome and convention center are being sent to Arkansas.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

I'm kind of in a quandry myself. Should I make the 4 hour trip to SA to stay with Mom or wait out the storm with my husband?

What? Why is your husband staying behind? Think about the number of families that lost loved ones that stayed behind. Can you support yourself and your children is something happens to him?

If he's staying behind to "guard" the house, those things, any thing that is stolen, can be replaced. A life can not.

Grab him, and tell him you love him, and drag his ass out with you.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

***What? Why is your husband staying behind? Think about the number of families that lost loved ones that stayed behind. Can you support yourself and your children is something happens to him?

Sure wish I could beam you into my house tonight so we could force him into the car. I've been crying off and on about this whole thing. Not sure if I'm making too big a deal about it or if I'm right on. I've never lived right on the coast during a cat. 1 storm, much less a 4 or 5. I've just been busy the last few hours getting stuff together to throw in the car, and making lists about what to do to protect the house (as much as possible).

He knows I want him to come, but keeps telling me he will be okay. I hate this! Yes, I could support our kids if something happened to him(life ins. and I can make good money) but I don't ever want to do that, plus I'd be ticked off at him for some time! I'm not sure he realizes how bad this could be. I understand we are not in a "bowl" like New Orleans but still. We are both still in the same town and already we can't get in touch with eachother via cell phones because the circuits are busy! I can't imagine being 4 hours apart and not being able to talk to him!

Sorry for going on so long....I'm just incredibly overwhelmed right now!
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

I'm kind of in a quandry myself. Should I make the 4 hour trip to SA to stay with Mom or wait out the storm with my husband?

What? Why is your husband staying behind? Think about the number of families that lost loved ones that stayed behind. Can you support yourself and your children is something happens to him?

If he's staying behind to "guard" the house, those things, any thing that is stolen, can be replaced. A life can not.

Grab him, and tell him you love him, and drag his ass out with you.

Hummm..

That what I'm doing Mar.

Putting everyone on a plane tomorrow night except me and the four leggers.

We're 'expendable' ;)

edited to add:

The stores where I'm at are already either out of water, batteries, canned food...or will be soon.

Only premium fuel left at the stations near us.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Some of us are staying while the families leave. Some of the DZ folks have no other place to go.

Evacuations are in full swing now with hospitals moving patients from the coast, and level 1 (people living at sea level near the coast) in the first wave. I45 is moving very slowing and was ealier this afternoon bumper to bumper from Galveston to almost IAH which must be 100 miles of traffic. Freeways are pretty quiet now; in fact they seem quieter than normal!

One gas station I went to is accepting cash only :(and is out of regular, the other is also out of regular. Most stores have sold out of gal bottled water. Generators and plywood sold out early this afternoon.

More supplies are promised before the storm by Walmart and Home Depot and the major grocery stores. Apparently in Texas they have the supplies prestaged at central warehouses. :)

Blue skies,

Jim

We're 'expendable'

No, 'Twardo, you're not. Go with them. That is your family, and your four legged beasties are also your family. Go, be safe, and be together. Same thing for you, SkydiverMom...stay together, and get out.

I don't want to read a thread where we haven't heard from you in a while. That would not be a good thing.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

We're 'expendable'

No, 'Twardo, you're not. Go with them. That is your family, and your four legged beasties are also your family. Go, be safe, and be together. Same thing for you, SkydiverMom...stay together, and get out.

I don't want to read a thread where we haven't heard from you in a while. That would not be a good thing.

Ciels-
Michele

I agree, there's still a few Gold Coast peeps that we haven't heard from since Katrina slammed ashore. Get going!
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

This post is not directed to anyone in particular, so please don't get offended.

Sit and think for a moment. Yes, if you lost possesions/house/job whether through hurricane, looters or other YES it would tremendously suck, but it would not be the end of the world. You can always start over-I am not blowing smoke up your ass-I have been there several times for different reasons.

Think about what is really important to you in life..I hope this is your family and friends. I hope this is what you want with you if you had nothing else in the world. I hope you can be thankful for them should that be the case. I would hope this would help make your decisions in the face of the risks and benefits of them.
Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

Twardo, this is not a personal attack. Unless that gets you to leave too.

You're being a dumbass.

On the other hand, folks -- Jim lives in the north end of Houston, pretty far away from first strike of anything. I know plenty of people who are "evacuating" to his end of town. Including me if it stays a cat 3-4. Houston's a big place, and he's probably 40-50 miles inland or more if I remember.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

On the plus side the Katrina evacuees who were still in the Astro Dome and convention center are being sent to Arkansas.

Somehow that reminded me of the W.C. Fields contest where 1st prize was a week in Philadelphia and 2nd prize was 2 weeks in Philadelphia.

Something to do with the "red" states?

I don't follow current politics that much.
The correct division is much like Hadrians Wall. An attempt to restrain the barbarians from visiting The Civilized States ever since the War of Northern Aggression.
:)

If I recall correctly, the takeover of Earth by Ming the Merciless was preceded by an increase in hurricane activity. Where's Flash Gordon when we need him?

I was talking about Twardo.

Wendy

So THAT'S why my ears are burning!:ph34r:

....Yeah, I'm up north of Bush Airport about ten miles, just off 59. From the projections thus far, we're gonna be on the dirty side. I'm high enough that flooding won't be a factor. But the huge trees on the property could toothpick the house.

I'll wear my frap hat and goggles...it's all good!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Well, you are a big boy and can do what you want. Just don't make me stand over your grave and shake my finger at you and say "I told you so."

Please be safe. Heck, everyone staying, be safe.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Thanks Mar!

I've just heard that my company will likely close the office Friday.

The Pittsburgh office will decide whether to count it as a vacation day.

:|

'Cause, you know, it'll be so much fun. :|

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Hey, show up at work on Friday and leave them a note that says you were there and ready to work. Since they locked you out ... ;)

I doubt I'll be showing up anywhere on Friday, least of all here. The employee parking lot has one entrance/exit, and one single flood spot that's lower than the rest of the huge lot - and they're one and the same. :S

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

one entrance/exit, and one single flood spot that's lower than the rest of the huge lot - and they're one and the same.

Perfect! Park your car in the low spot on Friday, make sure the insurance is paid up. Then tell them you were trying to get in TO WORK....;)

Blue skies,

Jim