hobbes4star

What are schools teaching our kids?

I like what Lindsey said. She put it to me from another viewpoint.

they assume "oh, she has to say that, she's a doctor." Hearing it from more than one place helps.

Isn't that a shame?

Do not assume everyone is as competent as you are. Most people are not.

I am not assuming that. I'm assuming just the opposite. It's hard work and a pain to take care of kids. I don't even assume that most people have the TIME to care for their kids the way I do.

All I'm saying is that if it takes a school official to tell you your kid is overweight, that's a problem. You should have already heard it from the kid's primary medical doctor.

p.s. - obesity is quite a problem in my family. And used to be quite a problem for me.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

That's horrible =( I'm really sad to read about all of this...
Good to know that eating disorders will become even more prevalent and psychological disorders will be inflicted in every child.
I have been suffering from eating disorders for 7 years, and although mine didn't start out this way, a lot of people develop them from "trying a diet" or "skipping a meal" because someone made a comment.
This really is not going to be good, and I feel bad for all those poor children...
='(

Obesity is a far more widespread and serious problem than eating disorders.

Besides, if this scheme is run in a responsible manner only those who have a problem will be told they have a problem. I seriously doubt they'll be shown pictures of Kate Moss and told 'You must look like this'.

Its the fat buggers who have no idea of the problems they'll face in later life that I feel sorry for.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

That's horrible =( I'm really sad to read about all of this...
Good to know that eating disorders will become even more prevalent and psychological disorders will be inflicted in every child.
I have been suffering from eating disorders for 7 years, and although mine didn't start out this way, a lot of people develop them from "trying a diet" or "skipping a meal" because someone made a comment.
This really is not going to be good, and I feel bad for all those poor children...
='(

Obesity is a far more widespread and serious problem than eating disorders.

Besides, if this scheme is run in a responsible manner only those who have a problem will be told they have a problem. I seriously doubt they'll be shown pictures of Kate Moss and told 'You must look like this'.

Its the fat buggers who have no idea of the problems they'll face in later life that I feel sorry for.

I really don't want to argue, but it doesn't take someone to be shown pictures of Kate Moss and being told that they need to look like that to develop an eating disorder. Compulsive overeating is also considered an eating disorder, and is just as serious as any other eating disorder.
I don't know if you are familiar with eating disorders or understand much about them, but a lot of things can trigger the onset of an eating disorder. I was just saying that if some child is being nudged to lose a few pounds, it can easily roll out of control and into an eating disorder.
You can't really run such a scheme in "a responsible manner" like you say - it is a very sensitive issue for many and such a comment can be percived very differently and very deeply for some.
You seem worried about the problems the fat people will face later in their lives, but what about those who are malnourished and running to the bathroom to vomit everytime they eat?

but what about those who are malnourished and running to the bathroom to vomit everytime they eat?

Well if it continued unnoticed until the bfi dropped to unhealthy levels, it would show up at the next test. It's not perfect. I think parents have an easier time telling kids they need to eat more than telling them their fat as a whole. One has to only look at todays youth to see that. Your experience may vary obviously
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

Second, there are plenty of overweight kids out there. However, I am also concerned about the standards of the Body Mass Index. At my height of 6'1", a weight of 145 pounds is considered "normal." I looked emaciated when I weighed 165, much less 145. Meanwhile, if I weighed 190 pounds I'd be considered "overweight." I personally find these "standards" to be ridiculous for most people.

I wonder how useful BMI can be for adolescents where a massive growth spurt may have happened, or has yet to. There's a pretty big fluctuation in values from that alone.

The chart is really meant for sedentary adults, which also missed the problem. In many of my elementary schools (I went to far too many), P.E. was an elective in the mind of the teacher. I think I had 5 or 6 hours of it in the entire 4th grade.

I would hope that this new state BMI directive is accompanied by one mandating the session of play every day. Most kids would quickly get to a healthy enough level without changing their diet- just need to get their bodies moving. Actually, so would most of us.

Do not assume everyone is as competent as you are. Most people are not.

I am not assuming that. I'm assuming just the opposite. It's hard work and a pain to take care of kids. I don't even assume that most people have the TIME to care for their kids the way I do.

All I'm saying is that if it takes a school official to tell you your kid is overweight, that's a problem. You should have already heard it from the kid's primary medical doctor....................................

It's been said before: If you want to sample Americans in your home town just go shopping. You can see the whole family; not just the kids. Some of these kids don't stand a chance with parents like the lady I saw about to drive off without a car seat for her infant daughter. I felt like an idiot at the time telling a policeman to get her before she drove off, but he thanked me. Lice: My wife taught school and knew which kids would repeatedly come to school with lice. She knew which kids would be late because it was up to them to get up and come to school. Yes, she gave out soap and shampoo and tried to mother them. Some of these kids never got a hug at home or had somone to show their new bandaid to. Personally I think parents are now the worst ever.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

I would
recommend that you home school all of your own kids.

I've been homeschooling my son since day 1. He's in second grade now. Every time I hear something like this I am even more glad we decided to homeschool. I am very territorial with my boys and I'm pretty sure I would not tolerate something like this. I understand what some of you are saying about parents who don't care about their kids and probably welcome all the intrusion from the government because that means it's one less thing they have to worry about. I've met parents like this and it's sad.

I would never have submitted to such a test when I was in school. Of course I wasn't/am not overweight but I definately would have considered this to be NONE of their business. I think that's one of the problems these days. Some public schools want to get into areas that are really not supposed to be in their jurisdiction, but we don't see a majority of the parents standing up and telling them so. Whoever came up with this idea is probably very well-meaning, but there is nothing wrong with simply saying "no thank you, this is MY responsibility."

What's sad IMO is that (at least in Texas) there are so many other more important areas that desperately need attention and yet they are spending time on problems that are clearly at home issues. Just because some parents aren't doing a perfect job at home(I guess none of us are), it doesn't automatically make it a government problem!
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

My wife taught school and knew which kids would repeatedly come to school with lice. She knew which kids would be late because it was up to them to get up and come to school. Yes, she gave out soap and shampoo and tried to mother them. Some of these kids never got a hug at home or had somone to show their new bandaid to. Personally I think parents are now the worst ever.

God Bless your wife! I feel for teachers these days. I know a handful in my hometown and they are certainly not in it for the money (or the appreciation from a lot of parents). I even babysit for a school teacher and she often tells me to keep on homeschooling!

You are also right on about a lot of parents....and I'm sure that is one main reason why the schools are stepping over into areas that really involved parents would consider none of their business. I hope your wife still teaches because we need ones like her!
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

There's nothing wrong with a BMI test to warn clueless parents in our chronically fat society and your incoherent, angry and pointless rant about a "'liberal faggoty-ass establishment' called public education" has absolutely nothing to do with the BMI test or its consequences or its part in trends taking place in public education. It was better off in a second posting, or better yet none at all.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

God Bless your wife! I feel for teachers these days. I know a handful in my hometown and they are certainly not in it for the money (or the appreciation from a lot of parents). I even babysit for a school teacher and she often tells me to keep on homeschooling!

You are also right on about a lot of parents....and I'm sure that is one main reason why the schools are stepping over into areas that really involved parents would consider none of their business. I hope your wife still teaches because we need ones like her!

She is taking a break this year, but our youngest daughter, a nursing student gave a shot to a newborn last week. She said the most exciting thing was to see both sides of the family celebrating the birth. Up until then she had seen nothing but unhappy mothers to include some who left their babies at the hospital.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.