akarunway

Wal Mart

Much as I hate Wal mart . Blu Skies to this man.================================================================================================ Philanthropist and Entrepreneur John Walton Killed in Airplane Crash
Monday June 27, 8:19 pm ET

BENTONVILLE, Ark., June 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- It is with great sorrow that Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., announces the death of John Walton. A Vietnam War hero, member of the Wal-Mart Board of Directors and philanthropist, Walton was killed when the ultra-light aircraft he was piloting crashed shortly after take-off from the Jackson Hole Airport in Grand Teton National Park. The crash occurred at approximately 1:20 p.m. CDT and the cause has not yet been determined. Walton, 58, was the aircraft's sole occupant.

John Walton was the second son of Wal-Mart founder, Sam Walton.

As a board member of the Walton Family Foundation, Walton played a leading role in guiding the Foundation's contributions to elementary and high school education, including scholarship programs to provide parents with greater choice in education.

Walton served in the U.S. Army Green Berets as a medic during the Vietnam War. He was awarded the Silver Star for saving the lives of several members of his unit while under intense enemy fire.

Walton pursued a variety of business interests throughout his life, including work as a crop duster in the 1970s and as a boat builder in the 1980s and 1990s. More recently, Walton formed the holding company True North, which is composed of businesses ranging from advanced composites to boat building to venture capital investments.

Walton has been a member of the Wal-Mart Board of Directors since 1992.

Walton attended the College of Wooster. He is survived by his wife Christy and their son, Luke; his mother Helen; two brothers, Rob and Jim; a sister, Alice; and their families.

No funeral arrangements have been announced
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Although I'm not a big wal-mart fan it is always bad to see a sport that I love so dearly take a life. I'm just wondering for how much this guy was worth why he would be flyin an ultalight. If I had that much money I sure as hell would have something a little bit better that that. RIP buddy!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I'm just wondering for how much this guy was worth why he would be flyin an ultalight.

Maybe he just likes Ultralights?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I think you can use the past tense here.

Maybe he just liked Ultralights. I'm betting he doesn't like them much now.

Thats cold man...Acurate and funny, but cold.:o
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I'm just wondering for how much this guy was worth why he would be flyin an ultalight. If I had that much money I sure as hell would have something a little bit better that that.

I've been in a lot of different aircraft, and I think ultralights are probably the most fun... I guess it all depends on what you enjoy about flying, so different people are going to get their kicks from different things...

Man if I had his money I think a Corsair, Hawker Seafury or something kick ass!

Who is to say he didn't have those also? He just died in an Ultralight.

If you have ever flown an Ultralight they are quite fun and perfect for just puttering around and sightseeing.

Also one thing about most of the Waltons....Both this guy and Sam were pretty down to earth.

John was big into schools....He even cleaned the bathroom of one school since it was dirty once.

His dad Sam drove the same pickup for 20-30 years.

Ubber rich, but very down to earth.

Who is to say he didn't have those also? He just died in an Ultralight.

Point taken, I stand silent at attention.

If you have ever flown an Ultralight they are quite fun and perfect for just puttering around and sightseeing.

I have flown them, Pretty boring in my honest opinion, but that just me and most people know how far that goes.

Also one thing about most of the Waltons....Both this guy and Sam were pretty down to earth.

John was big into schools....He even cleaned the bathroom of one school since it was dirty once.

His dad Sam drove the same pickup for 20-30 years.

Ubber rich, but very down to earth.

Oh I never tried to bash them one bit. I just think it's funny a billionare flying a untralight.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I have flown them, Pretty boring in my honest opinion, but that just me and most people know how far that goes.

I had more fun flying an Ultralight or a J3 just flying around fields sometimes chasing deer than I ever had in a twin.

Flying the twin with retracts and such is a nice way to get somewhere and it makes you feel like a "real serious" pilot. But flying a light slow plane low with the doors off and the wind in your face is another type of flying.

I prefer the second. Some like the first. If I had the billions this guy had I'd have all kinds of flying stuff....Jets to Ultralights.

Oh I never tried to bash them one bit. I just think it's funny a billionare flying a untralight.

Never thought you were....And yes in a black death kinda way it is ironic that this billionaire died in a tiny cheap plane. I just thought I would fill in a little more about the man.

Blue Skies

I know a billionaire who drives a 6 year old Ford Taurus. Billionaires have the wherewithal to fly and drive what they please.

If he went scuba diving would you think it funny he did not use a submarine?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I know a billionaire who drives a 6 year old Ford Taurus. Billionaires have the wherewithal to fly and drive what they please.

Wait a tick....YOU drive an old Ford Taurus.

No, mine's a 59 year old MG. And my plane is a Mooney, not an ultralight. It's my buddy who drives the Taurus (and the Gulfstream jet).

No, mine's a 59 year old MG. And my plane is a Mooney, not an ultralight. It's my buddy who drives the Taurus (and the Gulfstream jet).

What car did you drive to Zhills Doctor?

I think I'm on to something here.

What car did you drive to Zhills Doctor?

I think I'm on to something here.

That was a 10 year old Mercury, I gave it away after I got back from ZH.

I personally have driven out to west beach on Galveston Island to pick up George Mitchell(a very wealthy real estate guy) after his 20 year old truck broke down!:):D

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"