PhreeZone

Show me your ID, and your ID and your ID and another form of ID

but...erm...isn't a driver's license typically one's only form of photo ID?

What else would they accept? a student ID? Would everyone have to get a passport?

Privacy issues aside, the logistics for implementing this are staggering.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

hey eric, they just arrested several deputy registrars around the country for selling DL's to illegal immigrants. saw it on the news 'bout a week ago.

i guess my point is that instead of bringing 4 forms of ID, we just need to bring cash! :S
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

Christ you need that much ID just to rent a video in the UK and for some reason they wont accept passports but they will accept you gas bill???

Passports - can get you into loads of countries around the world, but no, they want to know how much gas you use in a quarter. :S

I might try going abroad with just my gas bill as ID.

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

I was entering a VA hospital the other day when a VA Policewoman asked for a photo ID at the door. I handed her my passport as it was the first thing I came up with in my bag. She acted as if she didn't even know what it was. . . .

I got in with my California driver's license which are sold on street corners by the pound . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

"Civil liberties and gun rights supporters, two groups often at odds,"

I love their notion that these are distinct groups.

Anyway, this change would improve nothing and create considerable hardship. My birth certificate doesn't have the right last name for me - made getting the original passport a bit of fun. I have bills/checkbooks that document 3 home addresses, and have carried the stub version of my SS # since I lost the original in 1990. And the only photo id (outside of passports) to get a driver's license is a driver's license, so how did we come out ahead?

The NJ DMV is definetly some ID Nazi's. I had just come back from an overseas tour and to re-register my vehicle I had to make about 5 trips total to the DMV because I either didn't have "enough" ID or had to do something that wasn't available at that location anymore. They even told me that my expired NJ Drivers liscence (I had an active one with no picture) was not a valid form of ID. :S Who'd have thought? The lady also didn't understand that I didn't have a home address (I was staying with my parents but moving to CA a couple days later) that bills went to. "well do you have a gas bill or phone bill or anything to prove you are a NJ resident?" "I just got back from Iceland 2 days ago, I have no home address, no cell phone, no bills at all. All I have is my car, some uniforms and about 3 days worth of civi clothes." "Well I don't know if we can issue a new liscence then." In the end I had to show this lady my military ID, Passport, SS card, military orders and Icelandic vehicle registration and insurance cards. All I wanted was a new drivers lisence and Vehicle registration. I guess I was just asking for to much. Next time I think I'll just roll in say something classy in spanish like "My pigs are not feeling good today" and just go sit in the picture chair. I'll probably have my new lisence in a couple of minutes and be on my way.
"I've taken the liberty of drafting your confession, you will be given a fair trial and then taken out back and shot."

This bit of the report confuses me:

States still could give licenses to illegal immigrants, but they would have different designs or colors

Under what circumstances would a state give an illegal immigrant a drivers license?

Your first mistake was not pulling your Military ID out from jump street. Your DL is valid as long as you have a AD mil ID card despite what the exp. date says on it. You are also covered by the Soldier/salior relief act which helps you in many ways both CONUS and OCONUS from much of the red tape you went through.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Thats what I thought too, but alas just because something is in writing doesn't mean everyone reads it, understands it and actually impliments it. My first trip to the DMV I hade my mil ID, Passport and old DL. They said I was 1 point short for ID. The relief act doesn't apply to Drivers lisences like it does apartments or houses etc, it isn't a get out of jail free card, unfortinetly. The relief act is primarily to get people out of leases/long term rents when they have to move on short notice. For an expired DL yes it is still valid but do you really want to try and explain that to some backwoods sheriff that pulled you over for running the one stop sign in his town thats obscured by vegitation while driving on out of state plates, or in this case foriegn plates? It is always better to have an active DL then trying to cover your ass with the relief act, which again might not always work.
"I've taken the liberty of drafting your confession, you will be given a fair trial and then taken out back and shot."