lawrocket

Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder

Yeah? Why don't you go to my high school? The nurse is not a physician. She has quite a few Ritalin pills to hand out to anybody.

Many high schools are turning this way.

Sounds to me like you could easily file a law suit against that school if this is happening. School nurses do give this medication each day, but only to those who have a Dr.'s prescription. This is very carefully regulated in my school. Somebody could serve some jail time if they are doing otherwise.....Steve1

What are other peoples' thoughts on this? This issue is deeply personal for me...

better living through chemistry... better living for the pharmaceutical company CEOs..

yes ADHD is real, i have it, and still have issues with it somedays, but prescription drugs should be the LAST resort, not the first...

I have ADD and probably have had it all of my life, but I was only diagnosed as an adult. I was a horrible student and the *only* reason I made it out of high school and college is because of an IQ of 145. If I had ADD and been stupid too, I would have been hosed. Hyperactivity was not a problem for me, but it was virtually impossible for me to remain mentally focused for any length of time on something that was boring, moving too slow, or uninteresting to me. My mind would simply wander away, and there was nothing anyone could do about it, especially me. I had loving parents with Ivy League educations and they did the best they could in disciplining and motivating me, nobody even knew what ADD was back then. I was somehow resourceful enough to get through just about any situation, but it was usually at the last minute and by the skin of my teeth or the seat of my pants. I was witty and had lots of friends, but I was perpetually late, bored, distracted, impulsive, and frustrated. It’s not that the rote and mundane were unpleasant; it’s that they were quite literally intolerable and unworthy of gargantuan efforts that lead to mediocre results at best. I knew I was smart, but I also knew something was totally jacked up.

Fate intervened after college and I took a job that provided legal drugs otherwise known as adrenaline and danger. I was good at chasing bad guys, but chronically getting into hot water for late paperwork and bending the rules. So I quit, got married, started my own business…and also started skydiving…a lot.

My business was marginally successful, my marriage failed and I eventually went back to chasing bad guys. A by-product of marriage counseling was that I was diagnosed with ADD by three separate doctors who basically all said that I was the poster adult for ADD. I was prescribed a stimulant-based medication, and yes…it is very helpful. To describe the affect the medication had on me as being an epiphany may not be clinically accurate, but it’s appropriate in my opinion. It’s like walking through your house and discovering really cool rooms that have always been there, you just didn’t know it. My brain and the rest of the world could finally keep time and I was able to not only realize aspirations, but to actually make things happen. (Pilot ratings, professional certifications, post graduate study, etc) I had spent my entire education out of focus and out of step. I can only imagine what it would have been like had I been in synch.

Medication for ADD is not a panacea and it doesn’t cure stupid or lazy; it’s simply a useful tool…a helpful prescription for concentration and focus. It does not stifle identity or creativity; rather, it can enable them to be realized.

I don't have kids yet, got about ten years or so before I do, but if ANY teacher EVER forces my kid to take a drug without my permission, I will personally smack the dumb bitch across the head.

...hmmmmm 2 points....
first
Not all teachers are female ( bitch),,,, nor are they DUMB..... ( BTY have YOU ever dealt with the energy and dynamics of a classroom full of 6 or 7 year olds????):|>:(.......I didn't think so.
2nd
Someone who would slap ANYone "across the head" sounds like a poor candidate for parenting.
I'm glad you "don't have kids yet"... and you might consider changing your "personal reaction" options,,, before undertaking the MOST important responsibility of all.... raising a child.[:/]
I wonder just what you WOULD do.. should you find yourself the parent of such a child......??? answer me THAT...

I don't have kids yet, got about ten years or so before I do, but if ANY teacher EVER forces my kid to take a drug without my permission, I will personally smack the dumb bitch across the head.

...hmmmmm 2 points....
first
Not all teachers are female ( bitch),,,, nor are they DUMB..... ( BTY have YOU ever dealt with the energy and dynamics of a classroom full of 6 or 7 year olds????):|>:(.......I didn't think so.

Figure of speech. I know not all teachers are stupid or women (actually bitch isn't just a feminine term) .... I actually have a lot of respect for most of them. I can imagine how difficult it would be to control a bunch of 6 year olds BUT medication is not the answer. I don't want any unqualified person telling me my child needs to be medicated. Even if a physician says it, I'll get about ten second opinions before I medicate my child. My reasons are from personal experience with prescription-happy doctors.

2nd
Someone who would slap ANYone "across the head" sounds like a poor candidate for parenting.
I'm glad you "don't have kids yet"... and you might consider changing your "personal reaction" options,,, before undertaking the MOST important responsibility of all.... raising a child.[:/]
I wonder just what you WOULD do.. should you find yourself the parent of such a child......??? answer me THAT...

Figure of speech again. I'm not actually going to smack someone across the head, but it makes my point across. I might be a very angry person at times, but I am definitely not a violent person by any means. I was never hit as kid, and don't plan on laying a finger on mine. There's other ways to discipline.

My apologies if my words came off the wrong way. I tend to do that when I feel extremely strongly about a subject.
This ad space for sale.

:| whatever friend......

no apology expected.... or needed...

...Figure of speech??????? it seemed more like a description of what YOU said YOU would do.....
Doesn't matter....
We are all just expressing our opinions.... but bitch IS a feminine term at least according to Funk & Wagnalls, when used as a noun...
" To bitch" about something,, is non gender,, but then it's a verb...:S
my bad for coming across, sounding so critical.

skydive softly skydive often skydive with friends

It takes more then just the teacher saying a child needs to go on meds. There is a process called a staffing that the parents also attend and can speak up. Most times it takes months before the process is completed.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

We are all just expressing our opinions.... but bitch IS a feminine term at least according to Funk & Wagnalls, when used as a noun...
" To bitch" about something,, is non gender,, but then it's a verb...

What if I say I'm going to 'bitch slap' someone? :)
Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

hmmm that would indicate the male to female ratio at dropzones is MUCH higher than observation indicates.. ;):P

It takes more then just the teacher saying a child needs to go on meds. There is a process called a staffing that the parents also attend and can speak up. Most times it takes months before the process is completed.

That's interesting because I know of a situation with an adult (my exhub) who is/was an alcholic, but his parents were in denial about that so they told their doctor that he was depressed and should be on prozac so the dr. wrote the script. Hell, my ex didn't even have to go to the dr. office.

Same thing happens with kids. Not a whole lot of testing going on these days.

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Same thing happens with kids. Not a whole lot of testing going on these days.

I would check the laws in the state where the children attend school, because if a staffing isn't done, then the school district is setting it's self up for a law suit.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

My thread on Ritalin seems to be getting hijacked with regard to ADHD and treatment, so I thought I'd create this poll here.

My personal thoughts are that ADHD is very real in the child and adult populations. I also believe that it is being overdiagnosed and overdrugged.

What are other peoples' thoughts on this? This issue is deeply personal for me...

I think Matt Stone and Trey Parker addressed this pretty well!;)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

Neer diagnosed, never prescribed any ADHD medication.
I suffered all the ADHD symptoms for the first 30 years of my life. Finally - at age 30 - my coping machanisms collapsed and I quit the Armed Forces, went back to university and finally got control of my sleeping habits. For the first time in my life I understood why a nyone could be cheerful in the morning!
Controlling my sleeping habits eliminated half of my ADHD symptoms.
I still get ADHD symptoms if I miss a night's sleep, but at least now I understand why.