ryoder

Spanish Muslims Issue Fatwa Against Bin Laden

You still don't get it do you. What I'm saying is simply that because there are a terrorist groups that claim to kill in the name of Allah doesn't mean that all, most, or even alot of Muslims support terrorism or what happened on 9/11. Just as because there are alot of Terrorist groups who claim to kill in the name of a Christian God doesn't mean that All, most, or even alot of Christians support terrorism or what the Alliance has done in Iraq.
Ultimatly one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter. If we were to exterminate all terrorists then Nelson Mandela, Pope John Paul II, Ariel Sharron (along with alot of Isreali prime ministers), Gerry Adams, Martin McGuiness would all be dead.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

> Yeah, people usually use the Old Testament to bash Christianity,
> conveniently forgetting that it's based upon the New.

Hmm! So it's your position that you should not take certain sections of the bible 100% seriously, because they're old or no longer relevant? Interesting. Think that just might be the case with some parts of the Koran as well?

Oh damn! ZING!!! Someone walked right into that. :D

I do not need to look to the Old Testament to bash Christianity. Instead I could refer to the Crusades or The Spanish Inquisition...or any other number of atrocities committed in the name of Christianity. However....

I will not.

Instead, I will blame it on clever leaders who use certain portions of holy texts to prey on the insecurities of their followers. I do not dislike a religion in itself, but i hate the way religious leaders distort the message to suit their purposes.

People always bring up the Crusades as if it was happening right now instead of 1000 years ago, conveniently overlooking what is currently taking place.

Here's an interesting quote I pulled off the Internet today:

"To be clear, I wasn't defending the Crusaders -- among other things, they needlessly slaughtered all sorts of innocent people, including Jews. And the Pope has apologized to Jews for the various crimes of Christianity against them over the years. But the Muslims were waging a brutal war of a millenium's duration against Christiandom, a war they started as a matter of religious conviction. Whatever the offenses of Crusader "proxy" knights against Muslims, no apology is necessary in light of the longer and more brutal war waged against the West, of which the Crusades were but a minor episode."
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Fine, forget about the Crusades.

It still does not make up for the FACT that too many leaders use religion to bend the will of the people.

I don't mind those who believe in God or practice unto themeselves. But I LOATHE organized religion. It does more harm than good in my opinion.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

>conveniently overlooking what is currently taking place.

Like the Army of God quoting scripture as they kill doctors?

As GTA said, it is how people interpret the religion, rather than the religion itself, which is the issue here. Whether you are christian, muslim, or atheist, it is your actions rather than your religion that determines who and what you are.

>conveniently overlooking what is currently taking place.

Like the Army of God quoting scripture as they kill doctors?

As GTA said, it is how people interpret the religion, rather than the religion itself, which is the issue here. Whether you are christian, muslim, or atheist, it is your actions rather than your religion that determines who and what you are.

I agree, but in mass media, muslims always get a pass, Christians never do. How many media outlets engage in ridiculing muslims on a vast scale? It's pretty lopsided.

Interesting how perceptions differ, in both the perpetrator and the victim.

And how about so-called "Hate Crimes" (read "Thought Crimes)? It isn't enough to punish people just for what they do; now we must punish them for what they think as well.

Will TWs/RIFWs ever be charged with a "Hate Crime"? I doubt it.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

>muslims always get a pass . . .

You're kidding, right? How many times have you seen the term "islamic extremist?" Now count how many times you've seen Timothy McVeigh described as a "christian terrorist." The media is far more willing to describe someone as a lunatic muslim than a lunatic jew or christian.