Kennedy

Shouldn't You Check Before You Protest?

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2005/02/13/opinion/times_editorial_columnists/9ea6f83822a22d0a86256fa4005e245d.txt

Chicagoans are protesting the Second Amendment rights of neighboring communities again. About 90 protesters staged a rally at Bell's Gun and Sport Shop in northwest suburban Franklin Park recently. They represented Chicago-based United Power for Action and Justice.

Several members of the St. Denis Parish, at 8301 S. St. Louis Ave., figured prominently during last week's protest. The parish's priest, Larry Dowling, also attended the rally.

Since Dowling's church is a member of United Power and lent its name to the protest, I contacted the Chicago Archdiocese. Just what is their policy regarding local churches officially belonging to political action groups? While they didn't respond to queries, their answer would have been illuminating.

United Power made a similar protest outside Chuck's Gun Shop in south suburban Riverdale last December. My Dec. 19 column, "Gun control claims just don't add up," discussed the incident. I also contended that guns aren't the problem; Chicagoans are.

I asked Dowling why they protested two gun shops so far from their church.

Chuck's is about 12 miles away, and Bell's is 23 miles away. He said it was because criminal-minded people are very mobile and often purchase their weapons from these two gun stores. This goes back to my earlier point that Chicagoans cause a lot of problems.

There is a clear difference between Chicago, Franklin Park and Riverdale.

Citizens can't own guns in the city without registering them. Chicago doesn't allow civilians to register firearms. It's a backdoor gun ban.

We can equalize crime statistics contained in the 2003 Crime in Illinois report to account for population differences. Doing so allows us to compare the three communities equally and see just how many murders are committed in Chicago.

* Chicago's 598 murders involve 0.02071 percent of the city's 2,886,102 residents.

* Riverdale's two murders involve 0.0134 percent of the village's population of 14,923.

* Franklin Park's two murders involve 0.01037 percent of the town's 19,275 residents.

When compared to equalized municipal averages throughout the state, Chicago has almost three times as many murders as it should. Based on its residency of 2,886,102 people, it should only have 205 murders. Its 598 murders account for 66.74 percent of the state's 896 murders in 2003.

I asked Dowling what they hoped to accomplish by protesting the two gun shops. He said he wanted state licensing and a limit of one firearm per 30-day period per person.

Very interesting demands.

The Illinois State Police already licenses and regulates firearm owners through the issuance of firearm owners identification cards. Criminal background checks are performed on applicants and purchases are reported at the time of sale.

Riverdale already has a village ordinance limiting legal firearms ID cardholders to one firearm per 30-day period.

Dowling also wanted government oversight and inspection of gun shop records. Both stores have already been investigated and received a clean stamp of approval.

The protesters have already accomplished their wish list. What do you think would really make them happy?

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Now now Matt!!!!>:(

You know those things are illegal in The UK!!:S No magazine self loaders!:(

Hmmm..... Is this illegal? It doesn't have a magazine!:ph34r:

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Nice to see you're opting for the 34... the 42 just didn't have the build quality IMO.

Really? I always thought of the '42 as the better weapon. I was looking at the '34 purely as the ideal hunting rifle... perfect if you want to kill & butcher your Red Deer without leaving the comfort of your hide!!:S Also - no problems with wounded animals!

The 34 did infact come with a magazine though... just at 900rpm it was generally a better idea to use a belt.

Oh. I always thought it was a circular tin for storing a short belt.

Mike.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Really? I always thought of the '42 as the better weapon.

Depends on your definition of "better" I guess. The 42 was simply the 34 made from stamped metal and die-cast components - thus a cheap as chips version which could be knocked out much faster under wartime conditions.

The 34 was made from machined steel billets and had screws instead of spot-wealds - much nicer... but slower to make and more expensive.

Oh. I always thought it was a circular tin for storing a short belt.

Yup – known as a drum or saddle magazine. Typical German ingenuity it fed one round from the left, then one from the right to maintain the weapon's balance.

LinkB|:

http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg32-e.htm

Like I said - IDEAL for hunting deer!:o

Interestingly, it was the MG42 design that's survived as the German MG3 & contributed the reliable bits of The US M60.

In military terms the '42 was cheaper AND better.

Mike.

Ah I see what you were talking about now - I'd forgotten about the one sided box thingy holding a belt. The 34 also came with a saddle-bag magazine but I think the 42 wouldn't accept it.

People forget that German WWII engineering and invention was the basis for a hell of a lot of today’s weaponry - the AK47/74 series is simply a straight knock off of the MP43/44; the FG42 spawned the M14 and FN-FAL; the MP38/40 turned into the MP5 series and as you say the MG42 became the M60/62...

That’s before you even get into their rockets and the ICBM's they've turned into.

People forget that German WWII engineering and invention was the basis for a hell of a lot of today’s weaponry

That’s before you even get into their rockets and the ICBM's they've turned into.

Or their aircraft; Focke-Wulf TA-183 to Mig 15/Sabre... Horten 229 to B-2 Stealth... & let's talk Axial Flow Junkers jet engines as opposed to British Centrigugal flow engines - Guess which type survived?

Oh yeah... Radio Astronomy, which started from re-engineered German Radar sets..... Dr. Reg Jones once infamously said that he could tell the difference between German & Allied radio equipment just by looking at how consistent it was!!! Then when Germany set up it's radio navigation system to cover the Bay of Biscay he didn't try & jam it - he designed a receiver & offered Coastal Command a reliable navigation aid over Biscay.;) THAT radio navigation system was adopted worldwide until supplanted by GPS.

Und so weiter, und so weiter....

Mike.

Edited to add: ANd NEVER forget that it's thanks to The Germans that we have "The Fallen Madonna with the BIG Boobies"!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

People forget that German WWII engineering and invention was the basis for a hell of a lot of today’s weaponry

Or their aircraft; Focke-Wulf TA-183 to Mig 15/Sabre... Horten 229 to B-2 Stealth... & let's talk Axial Flow Junkers jet engines as opposed to British Centrigugal flow engines - Guess which type survived?

Oh yeah... Radio Astronomy, which started from re-engineered German Radar sets..... Dr. Reg Jones once infamously said that he could tell the difference between German & Allied radio equipment just by looking at how consistent it was!!! Then when Germany set up it's radio navigation system to cover the Bay of Biscay he didn't try & jam it - he designed a receiver & offered Coastal Command a reliable navigation aid over Biscay.;) THAT radio navigation system was adopted worldwide until supplanted by GPS.

Und so weiter, und so weiter....

Mike.

Edited to add: ANd NEVER forget that it's thanks to The Germans that we have "The Fallen Madonna with the BIG Boobies"!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Now, is it allowed to cut short the personal correspondence between the Brits for a moment? :S Thx.

All I can read in the last 5 posts or so, I do consider as an attack on my German honour, guys >:(

Listen to yourselves:
Weapons - Germany - WWII (ha! you forgot WWI) - Weapons - AK 47 bla bla bla bubblesbubbles blabla....
comparison Focker / MIG :o Hahaha

We are so peace-loving.
We have rigid gun control.
Admit that, please.
:)

BTW: Where do I find that interesting '34 with the built-in butcher? Perhaps, I should check out before, if it's allowed here to own one?

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Listen to yourselves:
Weapons - Germany - WWII (ha! you forgot WWI) - Weapons - AK 47 bla bla bla bubblesbubbles blabla....
comparison Focker / MIG :o Hahaha

Err... You seem to have ignored Radio Astronomy, Axial Flow Jet Engines, & Radio Navigation :o:o, ALL of which I consider more important than the somewhat narrow field of weapons design!B|

I worry that you may be subconsciously war fixated!:P Then again perhaps not. You never mentioned "The Fallen Madonna with the BIG Boobies!":D:D:ph34r:

Mike.

All I can read in the last 5 posts or so, I do consider as an attack on my German honour, guys

I’m not sure if you're joking or not...

None of my posts were meant to offend - they were a genuine salute to German engineering. Whatever way you look at it, those items invented more than 60 years ago are still amongst the best designs in their field. Irrespective of the intended use of the inventions, that fact alone is worthy of respect.

I hold much of Germany’s WWII equipment in very high regard; I see no shame in doing so.