gjhdiver

Georgia told to can the BS

I don't get it..... Eveloution is a theory, why should or would it posed as a fact?

I for one agree with the stickers, and personally would not have chosen a school text book that states the theory is fact.

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

Creationism is also a theory, as well as a belief for some.

Why not just say evolution is the leading theory in the scientific community, and there are other theories for how the life came to be?

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I don't know about you guys, but I couldn't think of a better use of our underburdened legal system than to pontificate on the educational origins of mankind from a legal stand point. Criminals tie up too much court time and judical costs anyways.

If I was a resident of Georgia and my tax dollars paid for this abuse of the legal system, I'd be outraged.

Regarding the facts of evolutions, I thought there was always a gap in the evolution chain (the missing link) that prevented science from confirming the thoery of evolution as fact.

Forget that the vast majority of the earth's evolved inhabitants are religious in some capacity and that all religions have some form of divine creation as a basis for thier faith. Lets focus on the Georgian athiest community, they have always been under represented anyways, right?

Question, if the athiest's had their way, and this country's political, educational & judicial systems were stripped bare of any religious symbolism or structure, would any of you still want to live here? Personally, I'd move to Ireland.

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh" - Voltaire

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

I don't get it..... Eveloution is a theory, why should or would it posed as a fact?

I for one agree with the stickers, and personally would not have chosen a school text book that states the theory is fact.

Because I imagine that from your sig, that you have a religious bias towards Creationism.

Evolution is a theory in the same way that other accepted sciences are theories. Heliocentricism is a theory, and one the church used to burn people for expounding. It's not absolutely empirically provable, but I don't see too many people still claiming that the earth does not revolve around the sun, although I can point you to religious websites that do say exactly that. Just because all the answers are not in place for evolution does not reduce it to the same level as blind superstition.

If people want to promote creationism, it has it's own text book, namely the bible. It doesn't require others.

Forget that the vast majority of the earth's evolved inhabitants are religious in some capacity and that all religions have some form of divine creation as a basis for thier faith. Lets focus on the Georgian athiest community, they have always been under represented anyways, right?

I know many christians who believe in the evolution theory. It's not the exclusivity of atheists.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Is Creationism a theory, or a fact?

It too is a theory, however, you are not allowed to mention that in schools. :S

But, eveloution being a theory should not be disguised as fact when it isn't. I think the wording on the stickers should simply have been in the text of the book instead of an add it. Maybe next year the schools will buy better books!!!
;)

I'm a Christian, and I believe in the Theory of Evolution as well.

I was lucky enough to be presented with both "theories", evolution and creation, and was allowed to make the decision for myself. My school didn't make the decision for me.

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

Because I imagine that from your sig, that you have a religious bias towards Creationism.

Evolution is a theory in the same way that other accepted sciences are theories. Heliocentricism is a theory, and one the church used to burn people for expounding. It's not absolutely empirically provable, but I don't see too many people still claiming that the earth does not revolve around the sun, although I can point you to religious websites that do say exactly that. Just because all the answers are not in place for evolution does not reduce it to the same level as blind superstition.

If people want to promote creationism, it has it's own text book, namely the bible. It doesn't require others.

Well, your first mistake would be to make assumptions about my beliefs....

This sig IMO is just funny!!!!!!:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
If you don't get it, I will explain....

No bias, I am agnostic, and have been for 12yrs.
I was born and raised Catholic, and even confirmed catholic. Will be married in a Catholic church next month, because my fiance' is catholic. However, I was never able to come to terms with my parents religion... THere were too many questions that needed to be answered IMO.

So, I don't necesarily believe in "GOD", but also believe that I, as a simple human do not posess the ability or knowledge necesary to understand the universe, its creation, or its potencial destruction!!!

Question, if the athiest's had their way, and this country's political, educational & judicial systems were stripped bare of any religious symbolism or structure, would any of you still want to live here? Personally, I'd move to Ireland.

I doubt it. I lived there for a while. Be careful what you wish for.

As an atheist, let me tell you now that this issue has got nothing to do with non believers forcing an agenda on anyone, and everything to do with Christians foisting their beliefs on the school curriculum. I personally don't mind if creationism is taught, as long as it's done so in the context of religious education. I object when that viewpoint is presented as valid science.

and everything to do with Christians foisting their beliefs on the school curriculum.

How, exactly, is the sticker in question forcing anything on anyone? It does not even mention creationism or God...

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I doubt it. I lived there for a while. Be careful what you wish for.

As an atheist, let me tell you now that this issue has got nothing to do with non believers forcing an agenda on anyone, and everything to do with Christians foisting their beliefs on the school curriculum. I personally don't mind if creationism is taught, as long as it's done so in the context of religious education. I object when that viewpoint is presented as valid science.

No one is asking that creation be taught.... We are asking that evelution be called a theory... THAT IS IT!!!

It's a theory with masses of supporting evidence. It is in fact the only reasonable working theory when viewed objectively so for now it's as close to fact as we can get scientifically. It's a theory the way Newton's law gravitation is a theory, it explains at some level what we've observed about how things work. Moreover we actually understand the mechanisms of evolution in far more detail than Newton ever understood gravity for example.

You don't disprove the theory of universal gravitation by quoting the bible, you improve it by coming up with a model that better fits the evidence, like Einstein's theory of general relativity.

If God created the Earth in 7 days then he put a lot of effort into creating evidence of evolution in the rocks an creatures he made (just as examples).

So, I don't necesarily believe in "GOD", but also believe that I, as a simple human do not posess the ability or knowledge necesary to understand the universe, its creation, or its potencial destruction!!!

OK, I get the sig though. It's quite amusing, but you'd be surprised at how many fundies use it as either a sig, or as a bumper sticker. I read Neitche for a while. Bit dry and not enough pictures, but there you go.

While I agree that the subject is difficult to understand, I don't agree that we will never understand it. There's work being done right now on the new variant of superstring theory, called M theory, mainly led by a really bright guy called Ed Whitten, that's getting tantalisingly close to the much sought after general unified theory. It's really deep in calculus and higher math though, so it's not as if your average Joe is going to want to put the time in to understand it. it's easier to go with the pat explanations.

Suffice it to say, that if Whitten is even partly right, it would redefine everything we know, or thought we did up to this point.

It's a theory with masses of supporting evidence. It is in fact the only reasonable working theory when viewed objectively so for now it's as close to fact as we can get scientifically. It's a theory the way Newton's law gravitation is a theory, it explains at some level how we've observed how things work. Moreover we actually understand the mechanisms of evolution in far more detail than Newton ever understood gravity for example.

You don't disprove the theory of universal gravitation by quoting the bible, you improve it by coming up with a model that better fits the evidence, like Einstein't theory of general relativity.

If God created the Earth in 7 days then he put a lot of effort into creating evidence of evolution in the rocks an creatures he made (just as examples).

Again, I am not aiming to "disprove evelution" or have creationism taught.... I for one believe in evelution, however, it is a theory and should be described as such. Do you not agree with that?

OK, I get the sig though. It's quite amusing, but you'd be surprised at how many fundies use it as either a sig, or as a bumper sticker. I read Neitche for a while. Bit dry and not enough pictures, but there you go.

While I agree that the subject is difficult to understand, I don't agree that we will never understand it. There's work being done right now on the new variant of superstring theory, called M theory, mainly led by a really bright guy called Ed Whitten, that's getting tantalisingly close to the much sought after general unified theory. It's really deep in calculus and higher math though, so it's not as if your average Joe is going to want to put the time in to understand it. it's easier to go with the pat explanations.

Suffice it to say, that if Whitten is even partly right, it would redefine everything we know, or thought we did up to this point.

BTW just read a great book on string theory by Paul Davies... Great read!!!

and everything to do with Christians foisting their beliefs on the school curriculum.

How, exactly, is the sticker in question forcing anything on anyone? It does not even mention creationism or God...

J

It doesn't have to. It wss a blatant end run around the constitution. Nobody here is claiming that the sticker was put there to promote good science. Both you and I know who put it there, and why.

Again, I am not aiming to "disprove evelution" or have creationism taught.... I for one believe in evelution, however, it is a theory and should be described as such. Do you not agree with that?

Why single out evolution then?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I disagree, this is all about athiest's attempts at scrubbing the country clean of religion. Evolution is no more or less a theory than creation, so why is it not appropriate to teach/educate based on both ideas?

Stop trying to make my brain implode with the vacuous nature of your argument. Attempting to place evolution and creationism on the same platform of science is akin to equating vulcanism with angry earth spirits. One is a matter of scientific method, the other of blind faith.

There may be gaps of evidence in the theory of evolution, but there's no evidence whatsover of creationsim other than the blind faith of it's proponents.