Kennedy

God Created Man, Mr. Colt Made Us Equal

Just a few very telling examples of people using firearms for self-defense when other options wouldn't have done the job.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=13605400&BRD=1283&PAG=461&dept_id=158544&rfi=6

Elderly victim shoots intruder

SANDLICK - After being shot in the leg and scared that he and his wife would would be killed by the two men who had held them hostage for two hours as they ransacked their home, Clyde Colley decided to defend his life and home, investigators say.

Now, one Kentucky man is dead and another is in jail on a long list of charges. Colley, 84, is in Dickenson Community Hospital recovering from the gunshot wound.

At about 8:40 p.m. on Dec. 14, a caller reported to 911 dispatch that a man had been shot at the Colley residence. Dickenson County sheriff's deputies were sent to the home on Route 80 between Haysi High School and Birchleaf.

When officers Scottie Owens and Brett Stallard arrived at the Colley home, they found Hubert Howard Jr., 39, of Letcher County, Ky., dead from a gunshot wound to the head. Police say the shot was fired from a .38-caliber special that belongs to Colley.

Colley was also wounded, suffering a shot to his calf from a .25 caliber gun allegedly fired by one of the intruders. The man accused of shooting Colley, 24-year-old Mazel Sexton, also of Letcher County, had fled the home but was later arrested by local authorities in Kentucky, according to sheriff's investigator John Hall.

Sexton is charged with two counts of robbery, two counts of abduction, two counts of burglary, maliciously shooting with intent to kill, use of a firearm while committing a felony and unlawfully shooting Colley in the commission of a felony.

No charges were filed against Colley.

Police won't say what might have led the two Kentucky men to the Colley home that night, but believe the burglary was planned.

Mrs. Colley answered a knock on her door that night to find Sexton standing outside it, said Hall. After showing her the gun he carried, Sexton allegedly forced his way into the home, then used a walkie-talkie to notify Howard he was inside.

Mrs. Colley told police Sexton was wearing a toboggan when she answered the door. When he entered the home, however, he pulled it over his face and she saw it was actually a ski mask. Hall said Howard then entered the home, his face also covered by a ski mask, and began ordering the Colleys around, telling them to get on the floor.

During their ordeal, the elderly couple was reportedly held at gun point by one of the intruders while the other went through their home and vandalized it. At some point during the vandalism, Sexton allegedly shot Mr. Colley.

Hall said Mr. Colley told investigators later that he knew he and his wife were in grave danger, and he also knew where he could get to a gun in his home.

So he told the intruders he wasn't feeling well and needed to sit down. The elderly man was then able to get to his gun and fired a shot at Howard, said Hall. That shot missed, so Colley fired again, this time wounding Howard, according to Hall.

Police say Sexton then fled the home.

Mrs. Colley ran down the driveway yelling for help. She was unable to telephone because all the phones in the house were broken during the vandalism, Hall explained.

Lights line the Colley driveway and while Mrs. Colley made her way to the highway, Mr. Colley turned the lights on and off to draw attention of passing motorists.

When she reached the highway, Mrs. Colley flagged down a motorist and said her husband had been shot. The motorist got to a phone and called 911.

After learning the second man had fled the home, Sheriff Bobby Hammons immediately notified law enforcement agencies in the surrounding area to be on the lookout for a man and vehicle fitting the suspect's description.

Sexton was arrested later that night by Elkhorn City, Ky., police and Pike County, Ky., deputies. The next morning, investigator Scott Stanley, Hall and Hammons traveled to Kentucky to question the suspect.

After several hours of questioning, Sexton was arrested. He waived extradition and was arraigned in Dickenson County Circuit Court on Thursday. He is being held in the Dickenson County Jail without bond and authorities expect a preliminary hearing to be held in early January.

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/2959157

Homeowner kills intruder, police say

A 79-year-old homeowner shot and killed a man who broke into his Aldine-area home early Tuesday and refused to leave, Houston police said.

The intruder, Robert Hinojosa, 19, of the 200 block of Gulf Bank, was shot once in the abdomen about 1:30 a.m., investigators said. He died later at Ben Taub General Hospital.

Police said Hinojosa was burglarizing a residence in the 500 block of Turney when the homeowner woke up and repeatedly told him to leave before shooting him.

The case will be referred to a grand jury for review.

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/metro/index.ssf?/base/news-6/1103612639176630.xml

Jury frees defendant in bar shooting
Killing during fight declared self-defense

A barroom shooting last year that left one man dead and three other people wounded was an act of self-defense, an Orleans Parish jury has found.

Michael E. Williams, 41, was acquitted last week of manslaughter and aggravated battery charges stemming from an argument inside a St. Claude Avenue bar that turned into deadly chaos, according to courtroom testimony.

Williams killed Lionel "Te Te" Silva, 28, and wounded a woman and two other men on Oct. 3, 2003, inside Te Te's Bar and Restaurant, 2227 St. Claude.

A jury acquitted Williams on all counts Thursday night after about two hours of deliberations.

"Thank God for juries," said defense attorney Gary Wainwright, who argued that his client was cornered and threatened by a group of patrons before the gunfire broke out.

Prosecutors said that Williams could have left the bar instead of resorting to violence, but jurors heard varied, and at times conflicting, accounts of the night from several witnesses. They also heard from the suspect himself.

While on the witness stand, Williams broke down crying when asked how the incident has affected him.

Judge Camille Buras called for a recess so Williams could compose himself.

Silva, who was tending bar that night, died from a gunshot to the chest. The jury heard his criminal record: In 1993, Silva and another man pleaded guilty to manslaughter after a jury trial on the original first-degree murder charge ended without a verdict. Silva was released after about four years in prison.

Even some of the state's witnesses thought Silva was armed that night.

Williams, who wore a cross around his neck during the trial, said he never meant to kill anyone. He had two pistols on him when he entered Te Te's.

That night, he was tagging along with a friend, a musician who went to Te Te's to collect a keyboard he had rented out. But Williams ran into a woman he knew, with whom there was bad blood, and they had words, according to the defense's witness.

"Mike got a drink thrown on him," bar patron Larry Bell testified for the defense. "They went at Mike like a bunch of bees. . . . Mike was saying, 'Just let me out. I don't want no trouble.' "

Bell said Silva jumped over the bar and that someone else stood between Williams and the front door.

" 'You ain't going nowhere,' " a man told Williams, according to Bell.

Bell said that when the shooting started, he hid beneath a pool table and thought of his girlfriend and son, who were at home.

"Things are so easy to get into -- it's hell to get out," he told the jury.

Williams, who drove a limousine for a living, had been jailed since his arrest. Wainwright said that his client left the parish prison last week in a taxicab, covered in a blanket and hiding in the back seat.

"He has since left town," Wainwright said.

witty subliminal message
1*

Colt Frearms. Weren't they the company that was saved from bankruptcy by the Viet Nam War?

"M -16 A2 rifle, 5.56 Millimeter hand-held, gas operated, semi-automatic or burst fire weapon, DRILL SERGEANT!!!"
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Colt Frearms. Weren't they the company that was saved from bankruptcy by the Viet Nam War?

"M -16 A2 rifle, 5.56 Millimeter hand-held, gas operated, semi-automatic or burst fire weapon, DRILL SERGEANT!!!"

Got to train on M16A4s and now the Infantry is using M4 carbines. Myself, am training as a SAW gunner in my team.B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

They were phasing the SAW in when I got out. I like the idea of single ammo size. Never got to shoot one, though. Burned up a lot of ammo on the M60.
The fifty-cal-- now there's a fun weapon to shoot.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I have been away for months and now when I look at these post I just have to laugh.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

At the same people ranting about the same things no end in site. There is no discussion, only people on both sides of a stone wall lobbing the same crap back and forth. No ones mind will be changed so why not just give it a rest.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

At the same people ranting about the same things no end in site. There is no discussion, only people on both sides of a stone wall lobbing the same crap back and forth. No ones mind will be changed so why not just give it a rest.

In the eyes of many, silence equals consent.

Or if you prefer, 'the cost of freedom is eternal vigilence.'

These posts were also for Shotgun's benefit, as she was unaware of people using firearms effectively for self defense.

I'd rather have it and not need it
than need it and not have it

If people don't know why I might need it, I'm more than happy to discuss it with them.
witty subliminal message
1*

Negative>:(

As you were:S Just because it's xmas eve don't mean nothing in SC[:/]

Now line up and count off:|Odd numbers march in a cc direction:|, even numbers march in a clock wise direction[:/]

At least some people are getting more efficient In SC three similar posts in a row at the start of the subect rather than three similar subjects in a row:S

Merry Xmas

R.I.P.