SpeedRacer

From the Onion: Iraq Troops Complain

Last week, troops complained to Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld about extended deployments and poor equipment. What do you think?

Joy Parks
Systems Analyst "The inability to leave a war zone and lack of safety are the two exact reasons I decided not to join the military."

Neil Dawson
Farmworker "I'm so confused. In times of war, should I support the troops or the president?"

Dustin O'Brien
Fire Fighter "Don't they know about the military's 'don't ask, don't tell' policy on the 'when do we get to go home?' question?"

Lewis Richards
Lab Supervisor "If those troops keep griping and grousing, I don't think they're going to be named Time's Person of the Year again any time soon."

Clinton Rhodes
Film Editor "Years from now, our troops will look back at the war in Iraq and wonder why they haven't been allowed to go home yet."

Heidi Williamson
Teacher "Man, all the troops do these days is bitch, bitch, die unnecessarily, and bitch."

:P
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Army is a four letter word

It's a enlisted persons right to complain

IMO they got a legit complaint. Why do the soldiers and their families have make all the sacrifes if the politicans are going to make military decisions and make it into a FUBAR that we're going to lose.(except for the spin)

R.i.P.

Why do the soldiers and their families have make all the sacrifes if the politicans are going to make military decisions

Because that's the system and they signed up of their own free will.

Yeah, they can bitch about it, but don't act like they didn't know how it worked.

Like someone said, U Signed the Motherfuckin Contract.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Yeah, they can bitch about it, but don't act like they didn't know how it worked.

To a certain extent that is true. They do, however, employ some pretty shady recruiting tactics, or at lest they did when I was in.
I remember being told that I could go to school part time, for free, of course, and have to work fewer hours during the week, because, it was in the Army's best interest that I get an education, and it was, after all, peacetime. You can only train so much.

Yeah, right. You were lucky to get one academic class per tour where I was at. And you paid for it yourself, albeit at a discounted rate. And it was all done on your own time.

I think we should expect a little bit of complaining from the troops. They are, after all, getting the shaft by their CIC.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Why do the soldiers and their families have make all the sacrifes if the politicans are going to make military decisions

Negative

You say "Because that's the system and they signed up of their own free will that's the system" Where does the contract they signed say "the soldiers and their families have make all the sacrifes and the politicans are going to make military decisions" BTW the wrong ones look where we're at.

you no not what you speak. But you have the right to say anything you want to.:)

What are you talking about? "didn't Know how it worked" how would they know before the fact? from you? from the recruiter? from their mom? from tuna?

your talking but not making any sense:| How do you kennedy "know they knew how it worked".

"Like someone said, U Signed the Motherfuckin Contract"

right:) like someone also said country right or wrong love it or leave it. or stick and stones may break my bones but names won't harm me.

Why join the cops they got a waiting list :( you can join the army:) Full auto, high cap magazines, lots of target practice:|
Join the band of brothers:)

If you can come up with something better PM me.

R.I.P.

You say "Because that's the system and they signed up of their own free will that's the system" Where does the contract they signed say "the soldiers and their families have make all the sacrifes and the politicans are going to make military decisions"
---
What are you talking about? "didn't Know how it worked" how would they know before the fact?

The contract basically says you're signing your soul away for as long as they want it. I know because I signed it. Our system of government provides for civilian control over the military. If you can't translate that into "soldiers make the sacrifices the politicians tell them to" then there is no point discussing this any further with you.

BTW the wrong ones look where we're at.

You're welcome to your opinion. Everybody has one.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

have any of you guys having this serious debate actually read the onion? look it up on the internet.

Please don't try and confuse the issue with the facts.;) We're to busy/having to much fun argueing:).

Ok I'll go back and read the link hope it doesn't use big words[:/]

R.I.P.

Like someone said, U Signed the Motherfuckin Contract. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,And neglected to read or understand the fine print too right?
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I bet they don't even know what USMC stands for: "U SIGNED THE MOTHERFCKEN CONTRACT". kidding of course:|

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children

That is pretty close. There are a lot of kids out there who sign up in economic desperation. It is WRONG when a certain economic group goes off to fight while elitist senators and congressmen who have never gone and whose sons and daughters will never go, send our men and women into harms way. The whole idea is to pay a select group so the rest of the voting population remains safe and happy.

"You Signed the Motherfucken Contract" was part of a joke from a Vietnam Vet friend of mine who still works for the Department of the Army. It is black humor. Clone[:/]
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

It is WRONG when a certain economic group goes off to fight while elitist senators and congressmen who have never gone and whose sons and daughters will never go, send our men and women into harms way. T

You do know that a higher percentage of congressmen have served than people in the general population, right?

The whole idea is to pay a select group so the rest of the voting population remains safe and happy.

And as long as they continue to sign on the dotted line, that's the way it will go.

It is black humor. Clone[Unsure]

Yes, it's black humor, and I enjoy black humor. However, I don't know what you meant by the "Clone" comment, other than possibly a personal attack on me.
witty subliminal message
1*

There are a lot of kids out there who sign up in economic desperation.

No shit - I was one of those kids. My parents nor I had the resources to send me to college or trade school. And the economy in the early 80's SUCKED. It was the best opportunity I had to make myself a better person and citizen. You'd rather I have gone on welfare? And as far as I know, the majority of the persons who enlist do NOT do so out of "economic desperation".
(FWIW, thanks to the experience and education I received in the military, I earn a very decent living now.)

The whole idea is to pay a select group so the rest of the voting population remains safe and happy.

The pay sucks, the working conditions suck, and most of what I hear is how the general population is anything but safe and happy. But it was the most rewarding job I ever had, and I don't regret a single minute of it.

"You Signed the Motherfucken Contract" - "Uncle Sams' Misguided Children"

Both came from the Vietnam era. Along with this -

"We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, that we are now fully qualified to anything with nothing."

Yep - Black humor. Or is it? Kinda rings true today when troops are improvising armor out of scrap.

Another Marine motto - "Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome."

And I'd also like to know what the "clone" comment is supposed to mean.

Easy Does It

It is black humor. Clone[Unsure]

Yes, it's black humor, and I enjoy black humor. However, I don't know what you meant by the "Clone" comment, other than possibly a personal attack on me.

Not at all. I was referring to the 7th post to this thread where Slug referred the orgin of the cute phrae, "U signed the motherfucken contract", as a "clone" of Tuna. "I'm the clone not you". I thought you had read his remarks. My apologies to you and anyone offended. I'm really not a clone:)

It was the best opportunity I had to make myself a better person and citizen. You'd rather I have gone on welfare? And as far as I know, the majority of the persons who enlist do NOT do so out of "economic desperation".......................

I think you took advantage of the risks and opportunity. I commend you. Don't you think eveybody of military age should share the risks and not a select few?

There are kids where I live who join up in what I call economic desperation. Rather than going on welfare or leaving home, they join.They do what they have to do out of economic necessity. Not exactly today's world, but my first battalion commander joined the army to get 3 square meals a day. I was a fat cat college student in rotc who went freely. I got what I asked for including getting my ass shot.

I think you took advantage of the risks and opportunity. I commend you. Don't you think eveybody of military age should share the risks and not a select few?

I think military experience is extremely valuable. One of the factors that makes our military vastly superior, is that we are a 100% volunteer force. I encourage military service, there are so many benefits both tangible and intangible, for the individual and the country. I don't belive we would have the quality force ot the dedication if we forced (read draft) our troops. However, if need be, I support drafting if absolutely required. I have faith that it would be highly unlikely, that there will be plenty of volunteers.

I don't think it's fair to classify our armed forces as a bunch of mindless, ignorant lemmings, that some liberals seem to enjoy doing.

Did you know that France, (Yes, France, among many other countries-) has mandatory military service for many of it's young men fresh out of high school? Impressive, eh?

Easy Does It

There are a lot of kids out there who sign up in economic desperation.

No shit - I was one of those kids. My parents nor I had the resources to send me to college or trade school. And the economy in the early 80's SUCKED. It was the best opportunity I had to make myself a better person and citizen. You'd rather I have gone on welfare? And as far as I know, the majority of the persons who enlist do NOT do so out of "economic desperation".

The initial draft in the 60's was purely dependent on economic class.

(FWIW, thanks to the experience and education I received in the military, I earn a very decent living now.)

Had a great job in the military:)

IMO the pentagon learned fron VN that the public woudn't put up with another draft. Either one the lottery or age based with deferements

The pay sucks, the working conditions suck, and most of what I hear is how the general population is anything but safe and happy. But it was the most rewarding job I ever had, and I don't regret a single minute of it.

affirmative:)

"You Signed the Motherfucken Contract" - "Uncle Sams' Misguided Children"

Both came from the Vietnam era. Along with this -

"We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, that we are now fully qualified to anything with nothing."

VN was a little different than now (or maybe the same if the majority of people sign up for economic/educational reasons)

During Nam a lot of peope enlisted in the different branchs because they knew they were going to get drafted. So some of us in the service weren't drafted just draft dodgers(Pre lottery draft)

And I'd also like to know what the "clone" comment is supposed to mean.

Damn can't slip nothing past you guy's, I made the comment so I get to define what it means:P In SC people throw around political labels leftie, rightie, neo cons, liberal, etc. A tuna clone is a label that I made up for a person that acts like tuna:D

IMO no more a personnal attack than the political labels.;)

Need to read between the lines dudes. SC needs some humor. Think outside the box:)
R.I.P.

The contract basically says you're signing your soul away for as long as they want it. I know because I signed it. Our system of government provides for civilian control over the military. If you can't translate that into "soldiers make the sacrifices the politicians tell them to" then there is no point discussing this any further with you.

And the politicians are accountable to the people, who are subsequently responsible for the politicians decisions. So, the soldiers' and their families complaints are completely justified if it helps bring public attention to bad political decisions.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I think military experience is extremely valuable. One of the factors that makes our military vastly superior, is that we are a 100% volunteer force. I encourage military service, there are so many benefits both tangible and intangible, for the individual and the country. I don't belive we would have the quality force ot the dedication if we forced (read draft) our troops. However, if need be, I support drafting if absolutely required. I have faith that it would be highly unlikely, that there will be plenty of volunteers.

My present job is a result of my military training too. As long a the supply of recruits last there will be no draft. People still join out of economic necessity. It's no shame to do that. It's lack of jobs that make kids leave or join the military where I live. Certainly, a lot join up just to serve their country.

I don't think it's fair to classify our armed forces as a bunch of mindless, ignorant lemmings, that some liberals seem to enjoy doing.

Coming from a military family and a combat volunteer, I did not say or imply that.

Did you know that France, (Yes, France, among many other countries-) has mandatory military service for many of it's young men fresh out of high school. Impressive,eh ?

They are our oldest ally, and maybe we can learn something from them. We can also get flammed real bad for praising the French. What do you think?