tunaplanet

More moronic behavior in schools

I guess the prudent question is, how much tolerance would there be if a student brought a Koran to school and started reading aloud from it?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

how much tolerance would there be if a student brought a Koran to school and started reading aloud from it?

None - anyone speaking out against it would be labled an intolerant racist pig.

It's only okay to speak out against Christianity.

Ok - just so I'm clear on this.

I can say whatever I like about Haunnaka, and the koran, and buddism, or athiesm, but as soon as I recite the declaration of independance in a school yard - I get penalised - is that it? Do I have it right?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Ok - just so I'm clear on this.

I can say whatever I like about Haunnaka, and the koran, and buddism, or athiesm, but as soon as I recite the declaration of independance in a school yard - I get penalised - is that it? Do I have it right?

Ding ding ding! You've got it. This is the new feel-good multi-cultural diversity-tolerance philosophy. Everything is okay, except our own culture.

I don't know what world you live in, but I see NONE of this shit in my daughters school.

I went to her Christmas play on Tuesday. There were Christmas Trees and Santa Claus and Stars of David, a Muslum Teacher, and all the kids sang a song about "Laying the Baby Jesus in the manger.... Oh my Lord."

I didn't hear any complaints.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I know it's boring & unfair - to actually bring up the true historical context as a backdrop for these separation church /State & cultural diversity arguments - afterall, manipulations of history & politics into Rush-like clever cute quotable mantra is much easier to digest & more fun to repeat - chant liberal this & liberal that and attack, ridicule, and scoff - heck, sometimes Rush is even right

But you may find the following revealing concerning "new" "feel-good" "multi-cultural diversity-tolerance" from the creator of the Declaration of Independence and (as we learned in school back when they taught US history) a dominant inspirational/philosophical force among the founding fathers:

http://etext.virginia.edu/jefferson/quotations/jeff1650.htm

>>>"Believing... that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their Legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State." --Thomas Jefferson to Danbury Baptists, 1802. ME 16:281 <<<

>>>"No religious reading, instruction or exercise, shall be prescribed or practiced [in the elementary schools] inconsistent with the tenets of any religious sect or denomination." --Thomas Jefferson: Elementary School Act, 1817. ME 17:425 <<<

>>>"[When] the [Virginia] bill for establishing religious freedom... was finally passed,... a singular proposition proved that its protection of opinion was meant to be universal. Where the preamble declares that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed, by inserting the word "Jesus Christ," so that it should read "a departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion." The insertion was rejected by a great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend within the mantle of its protection the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mahometan, the Hindoo and infidel of every denomination." --Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821. ME 1:67 <<<

>>>"Religion is a subject on which I have ever been most scrupulously reserved. I have considered it as a matter between every man and his Maker in which no other, and far less the public, had a right to intermeddle." --Thomas Jefferson to Richard Rush, 1813.

"I never will, by any word or act, bow to the shrine of intolerance or admit a right of inquiry into the religious opinions of others." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Dowse, 1803. ME 10:378

>>>"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes." --Thomas Jefferson to Alexander von Humboldt, 1813. ME 14:21 <<<

>>>"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own." --Thomas Jefferson to Horatio G. Spafford, 1814. ME 14:119 <<<

>>>"The law for religious freedom... [has] put down the aristocracy of the clergy and restored to the citizen the freedom of the mind." --Thomas Jefferson to John Adams, 1813. ME 13:400 <<<

The Declaration of Independence was a call to recognize the principles of the inherent dignity & rights of all individuals (at least at that time, all property owning white men). The justification for the colonists' ideological and political revolution required confronting King George's divine rights head-on & impeaching the legitmacy of his rule. That justification was eloquently drawn from self-evident principles bestowed from the highest possible authority.

But when it came to establishing a Constitutional framework for a federal government - the drafters quite deliberately left it secular.

You don't leave God out of a document of that significance by accident.

Thomas Jefferson was a drivng force for the Bill of Rights - he promised to support the Constitution ONLY if it was included. And you can see above what HE thought the 1st Ad. meant regarding religion & gov't.

Not that I don't wince at over-done attacks upon Christmas & Christian symbolism - but it's simply not true that these separation arguments & mistrust of powerful clergy are the creation of new-age liberals

I don't know what world you live in, but I see NONE of this shit in my daughters school.

I went to her Christmas play on Tuesday. There were Christmas Trees and Santa Claus and Stars of David, a Muslum Teacher, and all the kids sang a song about "Laying the Baby Jesus in the manger.... Oh my Lord."

I didn't hear any complaints.

I'm glad to hear that. We hear so often of atheists of people of non-Christian religions trying to suppress symbols of Christianity. What ever happened to tolerance? If you don't like it, don't go to the plays, the concerts, or whatever. But those believers should be free to celebrate their own culture, just like everyone else. This exclusionism really grates me.

And I'm not religious at all. I'm just tired of people trying to suppress those who are.